Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Building Boards

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Building Boards

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 06:47 PM
mrtim
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building Boards

What are you using for a building board? I use a 2'x4' piece of 1 inch thick MDF with insulation foam glued to it, it is nice and straight and stores easily.

Let's hear what you are using, I'm sure readers will get some good ideas.
Old 04-11-2002, 07:20 PM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default building table

I bought a damaged door from a mobile home mfg. (or you can ask for one at the big box store (Home depot).
Placed it on two prefab sawhorses.....
Its big and great.
Good Luck

DOC
Old 04-12-2002, 03:58 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default Re: building table

I advise against simply setting the door on sawhorses... it can sag in the middle, and if the two top boards of the sawhorses are not parallel, you can also twist the door... and those warps will show up in your wing.

The door is a good idea... it just needs more support. If you use 2 file cabinets (2-drawer size) you also get some drawer space for storage of building supplies. Use the shims sold for installing doors and windows to get the building surface level and supported evenly by the cabinets.

The building board being straight will make the task of getting a straight wing much easier.

Another door source... slightly dinged doors at Lowes are usually 1/2 price. They have a masonite covered type which is very inexpensive even it not damaged.
Old 04-12-2002, 09:32 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

Default Building Boards

I use cieling tiles with a 30x84 metal door underneath. Go to the local Home Depot, Lowe's etc...(take a pin with you) and pick some that your pin will go into easily and have some resistance when pulling out. I made a roll around base and mounted old wall cabinets to it, the door rests on top.
Old 04-14-2002, 07:18 AM
Dave Barrow-RCU

Default Building Boards

That's a good one Bud. Here is the pic. Just showing my Patriotism by flying the Flag, I didn't have a flag pole, so this was my solution. We'll have to get a pic of it in the air next time at the field.
Old 04-14-2002, 09:54 AM
mrtim

Default Bud

great way to dispose of those ceiling tiles, Where can I get more info on building one like that? I would imagine they are low cost and easily built from the looks of them.

I bet they attract a lot of attention at the flying field.
Old 04-14-2002, 03:41 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

Default FLYING NOVELTY BOARD

There actually made from 1" thick white foam. For anyone interested, I'll start a new thread in the Scratch Building Forum, with instructions and pictures.
Old 04-16-2002, 05:20 AM
Lightfoot

Default Wright Engineering

Many years ago, I got a hollow core door out of a neighbors trash pile. I checked it for flatness and it was perfect. I took it home and cut it down to four feet. I used it as my building surface up until a couple of years ago. I got a building board from Wright Engineering and I was impressed from the minute I saw it. If there is anything better on the market for a building surface, I can't imagine what it is. Check it out:

Wright Engineering

I know several people who have them and they feel the same as I do about it.

Howard
Old 04-18-2002, 08:32 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Default Building Board

I find that ceiling tile works great for t-pins. 2 x 4 and cost only 2-3$ at home depot. Works very well and thats what I've used to build my planes