Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

2nd Newbie Build- GP Super Skybolt

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

2nd Newbie Build- GP Super Skybolt

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 09:07 AM
Mods-R-Me
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Newbie Build- GP Super Skybolt

I've been waiting to start this build for 8 months. Today is the day! This is only my second build but my modeling skills have increased from my first aircraft so what the hell. For starters, I plan to mod the aircraft in three ways to stregthen the airframe and improve performance:

1. Smoke System (inverted flat spins with smoke on look amazing)

2. Flying wires (like the idea adding strength while doing 3D maneuvers)

3. Increasing the aileron length on each wing to 20"-22". (The ailerons per the plans are only 6" for a 57" wingspan! The 40 size ultimate bipe has at least a 15" aileron for a 41" winspan) I will compensate for the additional servo strain by using high torque futabas. I'm sure there will be more to come and I'll post them when i do.

Won't start until this weekend so I can review the plans a couple of days. This also gives me time to purchase supplies. Here's some of the hardware I plan to use:

1. Engine: Evolution 1.00NX (I've heard very good things about this engine and for $169.00 w/ free overnight shipping!)
[link=http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detail.asp?ID=200405275]Evolution 1.00NX[/link]

2. Sullivan Tailwheel Bracket (Absorbs shock and is relitively cheap)
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFV48&P=0]Tailwheel Bracket[/link]

3. 2-1/2" Aluminum Spinner (Just beacuse)

Below is a sketch of the color scheme and a photo of the box as I received it. I'm still not sure how to cover the bottom yet, but there's plenty of time to figure that out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62994.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	355755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68922.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	355756  
Old 11-17-2005, 09:26 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: 2nd Newbie Build- GP Super Skybolt

Ok, first the bad news... You can forget about doung 3-D with it.

The GP Skybolt is one of my all-time favorites, but it was not designed for 3-D and it's just too heavy to attempt it. Add in the extra weight of a Smoke System and you can pretty much throw out any thoughts of hovering.

Next, Really take your time. While I think ALL GP kits are great, and their instructions are excellent, the SkyBolt is probably the most difficult build in the GP Line-up.

Aside from that, the Evo 100 should pull it extremely well, and if you like aerobatics, you'll LOVE the skybolt!
Old 11-17-2005, 10:39 AM
Red B.

Hi Mods-R-Me!

I'm looking forward to follow your build of what IMHO is the most beautiful bipe available

I too have recently started building a Skybolt. Unfortunately it will probably take a long time for me to finish it, because I have other duties taking up my time at the moment.

The cowl is a two-piece ABS affair that I didn't like so I ordered a very nice GRP cowl from Quantum Models. It appears that they don't sell it any more but you could probably locate other sources for this item.

Don't bother with flying wires. The construction is plenty strong enough for any maneuvers.

If you want to go 3D-ing you are probably better off with another aircraft. From my point of view the Skybolt with its sleek lines is all about graceful aerobatics, performing big loops and really slow rolls at medium to high speed. Therefore, I will not modify the ailerons.

Good luck and happy building!

/Red B.

Old 11-17-2005, 09:55 PM
Mods-R-Me

No 3-D![]

Well, all is not lost. This bird looks too good to hold that against it. I've seen a skybolt fly and the roll rate wasn't fantastic (due to the tiny ailerons). I'm building the model up in G3 and will test the mod out in virtual reality first.

You were not kidding about this being a "challenging" model to build. The cabanes set up looks like it will raise my skill level. Any suggestions on how to ease the assembly of this?

Question

By increasing the aileron length, this would also increase the roll rate. The increased roll rate would put extra stress on the tail surfaces during maneuvers. How do you know when to add flying wires? (I've never got a straight answer on this)
Old 11-17-2005, 10:16 PM
Mods-R-Me

First and foremost, this is the best packed kit I've ever seen. The quality of the wood and clarity of the manual are phenominal. I could not help starting the build a little early. The rudder and fin skeleton are completed. I reallly like that 85% of the aircraft surfaces are sheeted. Until recently, my sheeting skills were lacking; no, more like horrid. I upgraded this skill and many more by learning new techniques at airfieldmodels.com. If I had just 1/3 of his skill..... The techniques are intelligent and easy to learn. Must read for any modeler.

Here's the link: [link=http://www.airfieldmodels.com/information_source/how_to_articles_for_model_builders/construction/edge_join_balsa_sheet_skins/index.htm]Balsa Skin Tutorial[/link]

I did kind of have a problem getting the kit in the shop. Look at the pic, you'll see why.

This kit is beautiful!

Mods

Name:	Hf99209.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	356081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88002.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	356082  
Old 11-18-2005, 05:22 AM
Red B.

By increasing the aileron length, this would also increase the roll rate. The increased roll rate would put extra stress on the tail surfaces during maneuvers. How do you know when to add flying wires? (I've never got a straight answer on this)
And most probably you never will get a straight answer. From my experience with other models with similar tail contruction, the tail of the Skybolt should be strong enough. But remember, that's only my opinion. If you feel otherwise you can of course add flying wires.

You were not kidding about this being a "challenging" model to build. The cabanes set up looks like it will raise my skill level. Any suggestions on how to ease the assembly of this?
Have you had a look at this: [link=http://www.airfieldmodels.com/information_source/how_to_articles_for_model_builders/construction/cabanes/index.htm](cabanes)[/link]
The best solution usually is to make some kind of jig and measure twice before soldering the thing together.

/Red B.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:35 AM
MinnFlyer

You don't need to modify the ailerons. If your friend's Skybolt had a slow roll rate, he was using low control throws (or has large gaps)

An Ailerons effectiveness greatly decreases as it nears the center of the wing. By making them 50% longer, you may gain an extra 5%. Just go with the option of putting ailerons on both wings and seal the gaps - You will have MORE than enough roll rate.

As for the cabane and the end struts, they are one of the best features of the GP Skybolt. Just do them exactly as shown in the manual and you will have no problem. Whatever you do, MAKE NO MODS THERE!!! That system is the BEST that I have ever seen! I only wish I could modify Every Bipe that I have ever owned to use the same system! It works great, and it sets up faster than any system that I have ever used.

BTW, in case you haven't seen it, here's my old Skybolt:

[link=http://204.96.183.34/Skybolt/Videos/skybolt_high_res.wmv]Skybolt Video[/link]
Old 11-18-2005, 08:52 AM
elenasgrumpy

Great video Minn, Just had to tease him with the smoke & the flat spin didn't ya? Very nice plane, sorry to hear that it's your old one! Hope it's still alive & well.

Mark
Old 11-18-2005, 08:53 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Mike,
Very nice video. Great smoke there. What motor do you have in it? is this the same smoke system you have in your how to? and what size tank did you use in for the smoke?

Thanks in advance

Ken
Old 11-18-2005, 08:54 AM
MinnFlyer

Hi Grumpy!

I gave it away in the "PIF" thread last year - It was on it's last legs. But by next spring the NEW one will be flying
Old 11-18-2005, 08:58 AM
MinnFlyer

Ken, that's a YS 91AC, and yes, it's the system I wrote about in the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=455]Got Smoke?[/link] article.

I believe the Smoke Oil Tank was a 10 oz, and there was a lot more footage of that flight that was edited out, so 10oz will make more smoke than what you see in the video
Old 11-18-2005, 10:08 AM
Mods-R-Me

Minn,

That made me sooo droll. That video gave me the resolve to take a off work next week and build 8 hours a day for 7 days. Now I have to use a smoke system! Thinking back, my friend did have some large gaps on his control surfaces. After seeing your video, you are the best person to answer a few questions that I have:

1. How did you set up that smoke system? This is my first attempt, so spare no detail (i.e. tank size, running tank line, part numbers and pics would be great).

2. On the ailerons, point well taken. What is the best way to seal control surface gaps?

Equation for perfect showplane: (smoke system + skybolt video) * inverted flatspin = I'm calling in sick for a few days.

Old 11-18-2005, 10:11 AM
elenasgrumpy

Very cool Minn! Glad to hear it found a good home, and for a great program. Also glad to hear ya gotta new one in the works! Bigger,Better,Faster,Smokier[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Mark
Old 11-18-2005, 10:21 AM
MinnFlyer

Ok, first off, I didn't even seal my gaps. If you install the hinges correctly, you shouldn't need to.

To install CA hinges properly, read this:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=55]Installing CA Hinges[/link]

As for the Smoke system, Here's the article I wrote about it:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=455]Got Smoke?[/link]

On the skybolt, there is an open space below the tank and forward of the landing gear that is covered with balsa. HERE is where you can do a Mod... Build a hatch there. It is the perfect place to mount the smoke pump.

Here is the Smoke pump I use:

[link=http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000214127/mediaCode-ZX/appId-100000214127/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000214127]Windshield Washer Replacement Pump[/link]

It is a 12v pump, but it works fine on a standard 4.8v pack

Since I'm using a YS engine (Which has a fuel pump) I set the Fuel Tank back in the radio compartment, and put the oil tank where the fuel tank would normally be.

LMK if you have any other Q's
Old 11-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice choice on the Skybolt, it was 2nd kit as well. Listen to Minn, he knows his sh...err...stuff when it comes to this plane. Check out [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2496934/anchors_2496934/mpage_1/key_lightening%252Cskybolt/anchor/tm.htm#2496934]this link[/link] for the lightening mods I made to mine. The 3 or 4 ounces of weight I saved, translated into 12 or 13 ounces of lead I DIDN'T have to add to the nose to get my balance.

My Skybolt is sleek, and faster than greased lightening with the Magnum 120 going full bore. I usually putt around at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. If your going to add smoke, and mod the lower nose for a hatch, you might also consider a hatch in the top to access your fuel tank. The first pics show how I did mine.

This plane still makes my knees knock a tad, because of the emotional investment I have in her. Don't mod the ailerons, on high rate mine rolls at least 1 per second...maybe faster. You will probably actually LOSE performance by lengthening the ailerons. Have fun, and take your time with her. No other bipe in the world looks as sexy as the SkyBolt in my humble opinion.

Name:	Ol31283.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	356354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13579.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	356355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33166.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	356356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi16678.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	356357  
Old 11-18-2005, 12:47 PM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

Minn, are you planning on doing a build thread for your new Skybolt?
[sm=biggrin.gif]PLEEEEEEESE!![sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 11-18-2005, 01:09 PM
MinnFlyer

I only wish I could.

I have a friend who is a master builder. Last spring his wife had a mild stroke, so he is spending all of his time at home nowadays to take care of her. He needed something to build to occupy his time, so I asked him if he'd build the Skybolt for me. This guy is one of the best builders I've ever seen, so I don't care how much he charges me, but the down-side is, I don't want to get too picky about mods - Although I DID ask him to put the servos in the rear to help counter-balance the Smoke Pump
Old 11-18-2005, 01:46 PM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

In that case, I presume that you wouldn't even think about tormenting us Skybolt admirers who are/planning on building one by showing it off here with a lot of detailed pictures and specifications and component lists and setup tips!
Old 11-18-2005, 02:04 PM
MinnFlyer

Oh, don't worry, when it's done. I'll post plenty of pics.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:48 AM
Mods-R-Me

Build is actually coming along nicely. The manual is very clear and easy to understand. I especially like the fact that the surfaces are sheeted. Helps the film follow the shape of the contours. Here's a summary of the progress so far:

1. Ran a straight edge w. razor blade on both halves of sheeting to be joined

2. Used masking tape to tack both halves together snug.

3. Flipped the sheeting over and ran a bead of medium CA in the gap.

4. Layed both sheet out flat and used a paper towel with acetone to wipe away the glue that ran out of the joint.

5. Attached sheeting to the rudder

6, 7, 8. A little sanding and carving later, I have a rudder and fin.

I'm still a newbie at building. If anyone has a better way of doing this or new ideas please reply (with pictures if possible).

Name:	Kh17489.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	357312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82979.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	357313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65991.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	357314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53226.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	357315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10284.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	357316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81253.jpg
Views:	60
ID:	357317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19645.jpg
Views:	59
ID:	357318  
Old 11-20-2005, 07:22 AM
MinnFlyer

Yer doin' just fine.

Some people prefer to use wood glue to edge-glue sheets as it sands better, but I use CA.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:24 AM
Mods-R-Me

Thanks Minn,

I'm starting the Stab & Elevator today. I also ordered my evo 1.00 with a pitts muffler. Only cost $210.00 total. OS cost $269.00 just for the engine. Evo all the way!

All,

Here's a tip that I haven't seent on RCU yet: Use clear celephane gift wrapping material to cover and protect your plans. Got turned off with wax paper early on. It's good for the task but I was looking for something better. The tower hobbies [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK313&P=0]plan protector[/link] costs $7.99 per roll. Celephane wrapping is crystal clear and resists CA/epoxy. Also, it only costs $2.99 a roll. Just my $0.02.

Mods
Old 11-20-2005, 08:31 AM
Mods-R-Me

Deadeye,

I really like the hatch setup you have. Do you secure the hatch with blind nuts and bots in the fire wall? I can't really see from the pics. Since I'm adding smoke, I'll mod two hatches: one on the top-for the tank, one on the bottom for the smoke system. Thanks for the idea!

Questions:

What is strapping tape and do you really need it for this build? Would regualr masking tape do?
Old 11-20-2005, 11:11 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mods, the fuel tank hatch is held on by the cowl. It just slips over the whole nose like 1/2 inch or so.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:46 AM
Mods-R-Me

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.