Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

r/c flying world breifing

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

r/c flying world breifing

Old 12-02-2005, 01:57 AM
mess7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default r/c flying world breifing

hello,
I am currently interested in entering the r/c airplane flying world and need some advice. Should I go electric or gas? Should I purchase an ARF of RTF plane. I want something able to take of on its own and something that also looks good. I don't really have time or money to spend with an instructor so I need all the information I can get on everything and anything. Thanks
Old 12-02-2005, 02:22 AM
SoonerAce
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: r/c flying world breifing

Ok, here we go, lol. a 40 size glow Trainer, such as a SIG Kadet LT-40. KIT.

Join a club.

Get an instructor to help you get started.

That is the best way to get started. the other option is to buy 5 Kadets, build them all, take em out and crash one, figure out what ya did wrong,(could take hours, days or weeks) then fly #2, until it crashes, repeat step two, on to #3 and so forth.

Seriously, You say you dont have time and money to invest on instructor? Most clubs provide free lessons. and if you dont have time, then you probably dont have time to participate in this sport/hobby/addiction.

As you check out this forum. You will see many many threads started just like yours. Oddly enough the answers seem to follow a single theme:

1.Go to a local club

2.Acquaint yourself with them, get a few intro buddy box flights in.

3.Decide if RC Aircraft flying is really your thing.

4. Get an instructor to show you the ropes, while you build or purchase your plane and equiptment.

5. Relax and have a great time with it.....Its an awesome sport/hobby/addiction.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:09 AM
RC-Captain

I don't really have time or money to spend with an instructor so I need all the information I can get on everything and anything. Thanks

You smile , but this is really bad news when it comes to this hobby.

want something able to take of on its own and something that also looks good.

You are brandy new, and already you are being very picky. If you are planning on going it alone, I don't have any suggestion on this one.

Do me and others a favor join AMA before you start attempting to fly and download FMS or buy a simulator.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:02 AM
jetmech05

IF YOU DONT HAVE THE MONEY TO BUY ALOT OF PLANES DO THE FOLLOWING STEPS IN ORDER
1 GET AN INSTRUCTOR
2 REPEAT STEP 1 UNTIL YOU SOLO UNDER SAID INSTRUCTOR

NO KIDDIN RC FLYING LOOKS EASY, THE ACQUIRED SKILLS OF THE PILOT MAKE IT LOOK SO BUT IF YOU TRY IT ALONE ITS GONNA COST YOU MORE MONEY AND WILL PROBABLY AGGRAVATE YOU TILL YOU GIVE UP

THIS HOBBY IS TOO MUCH FUN FOR THAT GOOD LUCK AND WELCOME TO OUR WORLD
Old 12-02-2005, 07:46 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: mess7

hello,
I am currently interested in entering the r/c airplane flying world and need some advice. Should I go electric or gas? Should I purchase an ARF of RTF plane. I want something able to take of on its own and something that also looks good. I don't really have time or money to spend with an instructor so I need all the information I can get on everything and anything. Thanks
First of all, nearly all instruction is free, so not having money for an instructor should not be an issue. However, if you don't have time to learn properly, one would question why you want to bother. This hobby takes time. Learning with an instructor will actually get you flying quicker and cheaper, because you will spend your time flying instead of crashing and repairing or replacing your plane. If you really want to go it alone, take some time to read the threads in this forum. This question has been asked over and over, and it seems people have become weary of entertaining it.

To answer your specific question, I prefer glow (not gas, there is a difference) planes, if a club is available for flying. If I were going to fly at a local park, I would choose electric because they are smaller, slower, and quieter. Gas planes are large and expensive and as such do not make good beginner planes.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:10 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: mess7

I want something able to take of on its own
I would prefer one that lands on its own

The taking off is the easy part!!!
Old 12-02-2005, 11:43 AM
bruce88123

Being that Colorado is one of the windy states, I would stay away from electrics. They seem to not handle wind very well, at least not the trainers.

Join a club

Get free instruction

Have a good time

Choose to ignore any of the above and you are in for a lot of trouble most likely. You may be one of the lucky "naturals" but with limited funds I would not place that bet. If you are, you will just solo sooner.

Good luck.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:23 PM
rlipsett

all planes can land on their own the trick is if they are still able to take off again
Old 12-02-2005, 01:14 PM
SoonerAce
My Feedback: (1)

My Uproar 40 took off on its own this morning! Course there was a 38 mph windgust to help it,,,,,the landing wasnt pretty at all. I opened my garage door and it left the ground, hovered on its motionless prop and landed inverted,,,,no damage, heck its an Uproar!
Old 12-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

399 ARVADA ASSOCIATED MODELERS* HANSEN LARRY 303/424-1774 Email Club PO BOX 745931
ARVADA, CO 80006-5931

That's the local club contact in Arvada, according to the AMA website.

I suggest you go and watch, ask someone who looks like an instructor for a free test fly, and see how you do. This will give you a lot better frame of reference than having us tell you. By all means, give it a shot.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 12-02-2005, 05:48 PM
mess7

thanks for the information