Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Sig LT 40 Wing

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Sig LT 40 Wing

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 10:08 PM
firefighter56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig LT 40 Wing

This is my first kit, let me preface this right off the bat. I have basically finished the wing and fuse. I started sanding the wing like the instructions said, but I went the wrong direction. I went across the wing left to right instead of from leading edge to trailing edge. The ribs are ever so slightly flat on top between the middle spares only, about 3 inches. I cut out a paper rib to check and the section that is flat is down by 1/16th at the lowest section. This flat area runs about an 1 1/2" with tapering in front and back. I caught my mistake before I sanded the front ribs at the leading edge. My question is, is this going to adversely effect the flight to the point that I should make up some scab ribs to make the difference. Lesson learned on the sanding by the way. Help!
Old 11-13-2002, 12:17 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sig LT 40 Wing

It probably wont make any difference. I know someone who did the same thing on a 4 star 40 and it flew just like every other 4 star 40 at the field.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:59 AM
ctdahle

Default Sig LT 40 Wing

As long as both panels are about the same, you will be fine.

The LT-40 airframe is capable of hiding a multitude of building sins as long as you have an experienced instructor to get it trimmed out for you.
Old 11-13-2002, 02:56 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sig LT 40 Wing

Don't worry about it this time. Chalk it up to building experience.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:06 AM
PaPa-NeGeorgeo
My Feedback: (3)

Default Sig LT 40 Wing

firefighter i got the same kit about 3 days ago,
how long did it take u to do all that?
Old 11-13-2002, 03:09 AM
firefighter56

Default Sig LT 40 Wing

Thanks guys, Both sides are the same I was just a whistling away when I realized what I had done. I just have had a ball putting this thing together. If it flys I'll really love it. Why I tool so long to do it havens knows.

This forum is great!
Old 11-13-2002, 03:11 AM
TerrellFlyer

Default Sig LT 40 Wing

Good hard landing ,then the other wing will be the same,go fly,on the LT40 a little over sanding won't matter,might even fly better with out all that extra wood,now inch and a half?
Old 11-13-2002, 03:24 AM
flatfour
My Feedback: (8)

Default Sig LT 40 Wing

Don't worry, this is one rugged plane. I have never had a crash, just a midair with a T/F Contender. The Contender came down in a shower of balsa. I was able to land my plane.

The "windshield" was crushed, and a hole was ripped in the left side of the fuse. My left wheel was ripped off the gear. On the wing every rib on the left panel was turned to powder forward of the spar. The leading edge was fractured but not a complete break. I was amazed that the Ultracote held together. There was only a small hole in the covering.

Since it is an ARF, I had no plans to rebuild from. I called SIG and explained, and they were kind enough to fax me a rib pattern. I cut new rib pieces and attached them to the shear webs with triangle stock. Here is a pic of the wing post mortem.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	35356_1135.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	22451  
Old 11-13-2002, 04:20 AM
bulletbob

Default Lt 40 wing

I finished an LT kit early this year after stopping work for a year due to thinking that I had warped one wing and also sanded too much and in the wrong places. I finally finished it and it flies great. I only wished that I had pushed on w/o worry and enjoyed the end product, it is one fine trainer. Heck I just crashed first time and never even blinked as I picked up the rudder and motor laying 50 yards from the fus. It even flies again warts and all. Don't fall in love with your handiwork, it is made to be used. Do however reinforce the area of attachment for the rudder. It is weak as you will see when you get there.
Old 11-13-2002, 04:28 AM
firefighter56

Default Sig LT 40 Wing

Yeah. I've read some forum comments concerning the rudder coming off because of the lack of re-enforcement along the bottom of the rudder. I am encouraged by how everyone is reporting about the toughness and stability of the Sig LT 40. I'm really looking forward to my maiden flight.