Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

new guy 1st plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

new guy 1st plane

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 03:31 PM
Michden
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy 1st plane

Want to get into rc. Never flown rc only control line plane I had back in the day, also used to be into rockets and model building.Would love to build a kit or ARF.Yes I understand I need to get a pro to help and fly.Also know from this forum that a sim can help alot.I love the looks of warplanes, is there any kit or ARF warplane that would be ok for a newbie,one that would fly somewhat like a trainer in .040 size?What about those kits and ARF warplanes from Herr,Vmar,Global,etc..Got all winter to build--Kit, can get help from pro. Any help would be great. Thank you!
Old 11-15-2002, 04:42 PM
splitess
My Feedback: (2)

Michden,

Stick with a true trainer. Warbirds look great but require some experience. It takes a lot of flying experience to graduate to a warbird. Make the warbird your third plane after a trainer then a stick or 4*40. Believe me, they make trainers for a reason and they make warbirds for a reason.

Just my 2 pennies worth.
Old 11-15-2002, 04:51 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wish I could say there was one, but alas, there is not.

But you MUST start with a trainer. Going from C/L to R/C is a big jump. You do have one big advantage already in that being a flier, you know about engines, glow plugs, control surfaces, hinges, etc. But you still need to learn the basics. You wouldn't want to bash up that nice war bird would you?

The good news is, many of the newer kits practically fall together by themselves. And since you have all winter to wait for flying weather, pick up a good kit like a Sig LT-40, or a Great planes PT-40. You can start building now and be ready before the snow melts.

Once it's done, there are a few war birds that you could attempt as a second plane. You can start building that one as soon as you're flying the trainer, and make it your goal to be ready for it when it's finished.

Once you are flying your trainer, you may decide to stick with it for a while until you're confident enough with your flying skills to break out the "nice one", but at least you're getting stick-time with the trainer.
Old 11-16-2002, 01:15 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

I agree with MinnFlyer. When you've learned the basics of RC, there are some warbirds that could serve as a second plane. Something like a T-34. The path of least resistence (and greatest success) is to start out with an RC trainer. They may not look very sleek, but that's not really the purpose. They're the first step to preparing to fly that warbird you'll have eventually.
Old 11-17-2002, 12:11 AM
mancha

michden:
Lt-40 as a kit is dandy fine, however you can finish the trainer in military colors such as, the t-34 in navy trainer colors w/ oranges & whites and the corresponding decals
or you can go to yellow wing & blue fus and army trainer decal etc.. this way you will be closer to your desire and motivated for the next step.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:47 PM
whaler0

How about the TF T-34 after a trainer?
Old 11-19-2002, 12:16 AM
vegas mossie

The Solo trainer comes in a military version, it is from Hangar 9. It flys really well on a .40, and takes alot of abuse. (trust me on this) Good luck Loren
Old 11-19-2002, 02:33 PM
Unstable

why not something like a L-19. its a military bird, high wing, stable flyer. or you can just build a trainer to look like an L-19 so you can start off with "warbirds"

next you can move onto the t-34s etc then to the at-6's and mustangs and such.

I just started flying warbirds (got a Spitfire in the air) and they can be a handfull.

but watching that thing come over the trees and drop down for a high speed pass is rewarding
Old 11-19-2002, 06:33 PM
RedWing
My Feedback: (4)

Hey Michden,

Welcome to RC Universe.

I know there are some clubs up your way. Check out this AMA link.

http://modelaircraft.org/templates/a...605B4CEFE8B093

You may want to get in contact with someone from one of the local clubs. They will be more than willing to help you with questions.

Also, I was in your position a couple of years ago. I went with a basic trainer and a cheap 40 engine and a basic 4 channel radio. Quickly I upgraded everything, engine to a 46, radio to a Hitec Flash 5x then got a second plane. Now I have 4 planes ready to fly and a foam combat that is my project for the winter.

If you plan to stay around, spend some money up front for some better equipment. If you are not sure, save the money and upgrade later, you can always sell used R/C stuff and get a lot of your money back.

Bill