Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Need help for GP CAP 232 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Need help for GP CAP 232 Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 11:48 PM
enaggs26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help for GP CAP 232 Build

I just bought a Great Planes .40 CAP 232 kit for Christmas. This is my first attempt to build from a kit and I have question concerning a term they use in the manual. In step 9 of the build it states the following:

9. Make two laminated elevator balance tabs from the
four 1/8" die-cut balsa pieces. Make one rudder balance tab
from the two die-cut pieces.

Okay, now for the stupid question. What do they mean when they say "laminated". I don't want to screw this up, so I figure I would ask the pros!!!

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!

Erik
Old 01-06-2006, 01:44 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Need help for GP CAP 232 Build

Laminate:
To beat or compress into a thin plate or sheet.
To divide into thin layers.
To make by uniting several layers.
To cover with thin sheets.

www.dictionary.com

What they are telling you to do is to take several pieces of wood and glue them together. Usually, this involves putting multiple pieces of the same size on top of each other and glueing them all together. That will make 1 larger and thicker part from several "sandwiched" pieces.

Thats not my first choice for your first kit. You can do it--but it will turn out nicer if you buy something easy and build that first.

Try a 4 Star 40 or an LT-40 from Sig. You'll gain valuable building skills and if you make a minor mistake--it will still fly just fine.

You make a mistake when building a Cap 232 and it's gonna rear it's ugly head as soon as you get it off the ground. Probably not gonna last long with a twisted wing or a twisted fuselage.

I'm not saying that you'll build it crooked or twisted. You might do just fine. I just would strongly recommend that you build something simpler for your first kit. Or, at the very least, get help from an experienced builder if your stuck on doing the Cap 232.

Good luck.

Old 01-06-2006, 05:23 AM
tsands
My Feedback: (3)

Just take your time and be meticulous about it and it should be fine. Study the manual and plans and think every step through before you cut or glue and you'll be fine. I
Old 01-06-2006, 07:31 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

I'm just finishing my GP CAP 232 .40, and its my first build as well (been flying for 2 years - SPADS). If you look at the manual, page 7, it shows the layouts for the die cut patterns. On the piece labeled CAP4S06, you will see 6 pieces, labeled as Rudder Balance Tabs and Elevator Balance Tabs. They match up to the plan. There are 4 for the elevator and 2 for the rudder. You will make two elevator tabs and one rudder tab by gluing pairs together (face to face) and then sanding the edges. When you lay out the rudder and elevator sticks on the plan, it will become clearer.

Take your time, follow the instructions meticulously, and it should turn out beautifully. It helps to label each piece with a light pencil, and separate parts into ziplock bags.

There is a thread over in the Kit Building forum that shows some nice images of this plane being built.

Brad
Old 01-06-2006, 07:55 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

Did you see this thread?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_33..._1/key_/tm.htm

It might help.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:32 PM
enaggs26

Thanks for all the excellent advise!!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:55 AM
DrFrier

Erik,

When I have problems like this, I take the plans and the parts to my club, either at the flying field on the weekends, or at our monthly meeting, and there are lots of guys there that help me solve these problems.

Jim