Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Am I going to crash + burn with this?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Am I going to crash + burn with this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 09:42 AM
Hixx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I going to crash + burn with this?

Hi all,
my first post - go easy

After a few years (a long time ago) of RC cars and a short, expensive and frustrating 6 months with a heli (trying to learn on my own=very bad idea), my interest in RC has been rekindled and I've decided to get into planes.
I have my eye on a Multiplex Magister ARTF electric trainer and was wondering if this is a good place to start, or are there better electric trainers you would recommend. Ideally something that actually looks like a plane and requires at least 3 channels.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2006, 09:50 AM
kzimmerman

Default RE: Am I going to crash + burn with this?

Do you have an instructor? That is the safest way to start with rc planes, as there is someone there to get you out of trouble. Try to contact a local club, or do some digging, you should be able to find someone. If you can't, then get a simulator, it will help you an awful lot. I have no experience with this plane, so I'll let someone else tell you that part.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:54 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will probably find that there are a lot of differences between the gas (fuel) and electric fixed wing RC flying. If you intend to fly fuel at any time in the future, you may wish to start there, work with an instructor with a buddy box. You will hear this over and over again.

What you buy when talking about trainers, should be a trainer, and not some war-bird that you admire or some other (CAP232 for instance) aircraft that looks 'cool'. You will enjoy the training part of RC'ing if you start out with something that you can handle and that won't handle you!

Having played with cars, you already have one important part of the training and that is the difference between YOUR right and the aircraft's right. Turning right, for instance, proposes a different perspective if the plane is coming toward you vs. going away from you. A Right turn is the AIRCRAFT right turn not necessarily yours!! (going away, right is right... coming toward you, right suddenly becomes left.. perspective wise).

Anyway, that's my thought on the subject. I'm sure many will have other things to say, but that's the way I see it. Save the E's for after you learn to fly on something that has a larger area of flight and is not necessarily limited to the area directly in front of you.

Don't forget... Instructor and Buddy Box!!! VERY IMPORTANT.. and will end up being much cheaper in the long run.. if you know what I mean!

Also, time spent on a simulator is good time. It helps you because you can make mistakes that don't cost you a penny. Think about it.

DS.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:52 AM
samolot
My Feedback: (14)

Coming back to what you are asking, which is a good electric trainer, you cant beat this:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/mizar.htm

It looks good. ITs made out of EPP foam which is very crash-resistant. And the power pack it comes with is also very good. ITs actually very cheap for a professional brushless setup.

IF you want a four channel plane (with ailerons), you cant go even better with this:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/magister.htm

Its expensive, but for its size, its worth it. THe only problem with it is what its made out of. Its not EPP so you have to be a tad more carefull. IT comes with a great radio that will grow onto you, so i would recommend it. Also, be sure to get this power setup, because it also comes with a brushed motor (mush cheaper), but its powerless.

Here is another four channel plane made out of balsa and ply which is easy repairable:

http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=3401

I think this is the best but its costly.

What ever you choose. You cant go wrong with any of these choices. You can find reviews of customers here on RCuniverse.com

Samolot
Old 01-17-2006, 11:05 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From one of the Hobby-Lobby links:
"and can be built in 1-2 evenings while watching TV"
I still recommend that you pay attention to what you are doing when you put a plane together. And take as long as it takes.

An experienced pair of eyes would be useful for checking that you got the build/assembly right. An experienced pair of thumbs would be useful to make sure the plane is trimmed right, before you give it a try.

I started on my own on a GWS E-Starter. Maybe I was lucky. Maybe years of on and off interest (and learning) and months on a simulator helped.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:22 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

I looked at the product reviews here on RC Universe, and this looks like a good beginner setup, but always start with an instructor if at all possible. That's what prevents the crash and burn.

Brad
Old 01-18-2006, 04:51 AM
Hixx

Thanks for all the advice people.

I didnt realise I should start with IC if thats what I indend to stick with (which I do), apart from power characteristics is there that much difference between flying an elec model and an IC?

I do need a flying buddy its true, trouble is the clubs round here are a bit "clicky", or reluctant to take on new members. I can see myself having a very expensive year by teaching myself []

A friend is lending me his JR 2610 - this is a good a starting radio as any right?

Thanks again
Old 01-18-2006, 07:14 AM
samolot

All clubs are supposed to respectable of new members and should show no offense to you if you want to learn to fly. PERIOD.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:32 AM
the_madgenius

Hixx, i am going to give you a website to download and read. It is long and involved but will be a great help to you in United Kingdom
it is >>> www.bmfa.org/
Do yourself a favour and down load this , save it to your favourites, there are adresses you can contact with regards to problems finding a field with an instructor to teach you to fly . Use them , they are in your country, for your benifit.
The JR2610 is a perfectly good radio, i am teaching 2 students at the moment with those radios, you wont go wrong with one of those.
Secondly , if you are thinking of flying glow powered engines, or internal combustion engines, in the future, then why not start with a glow powered trainer, something in the order of a 40 or 46 size engine, with a wingspan of approx 5'0". SOmething like the hobbico, Nexstar mentioned here on numerous occasions.
Bill , instructor downunder in Australia
Old 01-18-2006, 05:15 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: Hixx

Thanks for all the advice people.

I didnt realise I should start with IC if thats what I indend to stick with (which I do), apart from power characteristics is there that much difference between flying an elec model and an IC?

Thanks again
The number 1 reason I can think of to start with IC: You don't invest in expensive batteries and chargers that you will only use for a short while. If you already have batteries and chargers from your previous experience with cars, this may not be an issue. If you plan to fly both electric and IC, it's no issue at all.

I started with IC because I love engines, and a few years ago it was very expensive (compared to glow power) to set up an electric trainer with a 2 meter wing span. I think the pricing is better for electrics now (not really sure) but my interest and investment is in glow power. I doubt I'll ever have an electric plane.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:32 AM
Hixx

Thanks for all the advice - its all gonna be taken on board.

As I havent got my plane yet, but have the radio, Ive downloaded the FMS sim and ordered a buddy converter so I can use my radio (saw it my local model shop yesterday, cheapo TX and the FSM software, retailing at £149.99 !!! - Jeez. Sure shows you should find out about things first. The buddy lead was $40 and the software was free!) With this in mind and also when I finally get airborne for real, are there any set maneuvers I should begin with. Obviously landing is a key maneuvers, but I mean to get fully familiar with the model and the way it flies.

Also, is there a starting point with setting up the various TX options for mixing etc. or should I start with each at zero and worry about adding these functions later. I know about trimming, its the other stuff really.

I decided to go with the Magister as I have the option to run electric or IC, so I will try both
Thanks again all.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:13 AM
samolot

Good choice. even though i recommended other planes, this will be the best choice since its the only one with a trike gear. THis makes ground handling a bit easier.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:53 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

are there any set maneuvers I should begin with. Obviously landing is a key maneuvers, but I mean to get fully familiar with the model and the way it flies.

Also, is there a starting point with setting up the various TX options for mixing etc. or should I start with each at zero and worry about adding these functions later. ...

I decided to go with the Magister as I have the option to run electric or IC, so I will try both
Just flying level, ascending, descending and making turns will be (hard) enough to start with, after you (or preferably somebody experienced) get the plane trimmed out. Add power to go up, reduce power to go down.

With a trainer you should not need to fiddle with mixing. Try to set up your linkages so that you do not need to use the end point adjustments (much) on the TX either.

To me, electric has been easy and reliable to operate. Chargers do not need to be all that expensive, unless you feel you want to get a do-it-all unit. Glow fuel is not free either. To some people the cleanliness of electric power can be a deciding (domestic) issue. Some people hate the oil that glow engines leave on the airframe. I currently fly electric only but I WILL have a glow plane later on.

How are you doing on the sim? When you stop crashing one of the sim models, start using another one. When you can handle them all, download some more.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:55 PM
glowhead

Got to Towerhobbies.com and download the G3 flight simulator Demo!!! It is not the fix to you training but a good start. Its free. Please get an insrutor though. I am training 5 people right now and good trainers never cost money.

www.towerhobbies.com

__________________________________________________ _-
if you plan to fail bring a trash bag.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:42 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth. I built my girlfriend the Multiplex Magistar. Was having engine problems in her LT40 a couple of days in a row. Anyways one day i may let her fly it. I bought the kit. Used the recomended multiplex Mini Hd servos. Which are actually a standard size servo. Bought a 8 Cell 3300nimh pack from cheapbatterypacks.com. It actually flies pretty well. The wing flexes quite a bit up in the air. Still haven't decided what i am going to do to fix that. Probably just run the fiberglass tape the whole length of the wing instead of stopping at the center halves like i did. Used a Great Planes 50 amp speed control. Was at a swap meet about a month ago and saw two battery packs for five bucks apiece and talking to the owner he said they were four years old and he would'nt guarantee they worked. But anyways for a ten cell 3000nimh pack i bought both of them. And it seemed like i got a little more power. It was cold out so i did'nt run the battery pack all the way down. But they worked good. Still not sure i like the hook ups at the aileron servo but it is working fine. I did'nt weigh it but i'm guessing six pounds or so.

Dennis