Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Its Official, I suck at covering.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Its Official, I suck at covering.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 02:48 PM
echobot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Its Official, I suck at covering.

Invest a few bucks in a video like this. It will give you a lot of tips and you can watch the video as many times as needed.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHZ84&P=7

Old 02-14-2006, 08:03 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Minnflier,

Your on line videos are nice.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:47 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

I suck too at covering. One of the main reasons I tend to stay with the ARFs. But I've watched MinnFlyer's videos on covering, and while granted he makes it look real easy, I think I have a better idea now how to pull off a descent looking job. When I do get around to building the Venture 60, I will be playing Minn's video over & over when it comes time to try the dreaded covering!
Old 02-14-2006, 09:52 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like there ought to be a bucket of something we could dip the plane in and pull it out all covered. That would be nice. Custom covering would require special buckets I guess. [sm=bananahead.gif][sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 02-14-2006, 10:39 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Believe it or not Bruce, that's how the Indoor guys cover those fragile little indoor jobs they fly.

I don't know the exact proceedure, but it's something like this:

They get a bucket of water, pour some liquid in (which floats as a film on top), then they dip the wing into the water and the film clings to the framework.

Wouldn't it be great if we could do that?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52586.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	408000  
Old 02-14-2006, 10:46 AM
bruce88123

Would be nice. Doubt it would last long on a Kaos though. [:@]
Old 02-14-2006, 02:05 PM
srserl

At Tower Hobbies right now, there is a coupon for Super Saver members that gets you a free Hobbico heat gun with an order of $100. I just used that coupon and another offer for $30 off $200 order. Total savings was $13.99 for heat gun, $30 for special offer, and free shipping ($7.99). That totally paid for the super saver membership.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:15 PM
Mode One

Mike B, It seems to me with the indoor FF, that the Microfilm is pulled off of the water or what ever liquid is used, with a big loop and then the microfilm is placed on the model. Dipping the wing in water with these fragile models would induce warping like you wouldn't believe!

Question, Did the original poster of these questions remove the Monokote from the backing material? Also, did he have the adhesive side to wards the model? I just read through this thread, and I don't recall him being asked these questions.

Learning how to cover is a lesson in patience! I always liked Monokote. It seems to be getting a bad rap now. Possibly they changed the stuff since the last time I bought any. I have some old Monokote, which I used on my latest model a "The HOTS", built from plans and found it to work very similar to the Ultra-Coat the rest of the model is covered in! I never used a heat gun also. until recently and I have to say I sure like it! There is very good information here! Read the instructions and follow their guidlines as far as heat and application and you will do fine.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:56 PM
mwarren400

Not a single one of you people told the poor guy to take the "backing" off of the Monokote!! Damn near every one of us has made that mistake at one point or another.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:12 PM
bruce88123

He has since covered a smaller/easier plane correctly so I guess he figured it out at least somewhat.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3898418/tm.htm
Old 02-14-2006, 04:21 PM
NJAIRSTRIKE
My Feedback: (2)

Hey, Yes I also bought both monokote and ultracote and noticed no difference except for the fact that its easier to remove the backing of the ultra cote than the monokote which required me to use a blade to seperate the two.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:26 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: NJAIRSTRIKE

the monokote which required me to use a blade to seperate the two.
Use masking tape. A small piece on each side (near edge) makes a great handle and comes right off the "good" side.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:40 PM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

He has since covered a smaller/easier plane correctly so I guess he figured it out at least somewhat.
They way I read it - that is the plane he is trying to cover. So at the time of the original posting, he may not have gotten that far. But he's well on his way now!
Old 02-14-2006, 04:47 PM
NJAIRSTRIKE
My Feedback: (2)

Your Right Krossk That was the actuall plane I was planning on covering, I'm very happy its a small plane cause it was a good small practice for me, the bigger planes would have probably drove me insane haha.

Hey Bruce, Thanks 4 the Tip. Good 1.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:56 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: krossk

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

They way I read it - that is the plane he is trying to cover. So at the time of the original posting, he may not have gotten that far. But he's well on his way now!
Oh, OK. OOPs. [sm=bananahead.gif][sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 02-15-2006, 09:20 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mode One, I was wondering how they got past the warp issue.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:44 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Again, kind of off the subject, but I was wondering if you guys remove the backing from UltraCote before cutting it? I really have to fight the stuff to keep it lying flat long enough to cut. It REALLY wants to roll itself back up tightly.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:17 AM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

i have been putting covering on since the 70's and have yet to use a heat gun on initial covering,i do however after my planes have sat for the non flying seasons and get wrinkles used a heat gun to tighten them up again.i try to keep several set of heat socks for the different colors.i don't know if it is just me or not but it seems to me that darker color coverings tend to be more troublesome than lighter colors?on wings i do like most here do,the bottom first but i start at the middle root of the wing and work out to the end then work each half to leading and trailing edge in either order.i tried using the heat gloves but they didn't work out so good for me too cumbersome.i think covering some people have a natural knack for it others have work harder at it.my first covering jobs the wing tips were the only parts that didn't come out the best but after a few covering jobs it got better.good luck