Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

HAULING YOUR PLANE TO THE FIELD

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

HAULING YOUR PLANE TO THE FIELD

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 08:49 AM
farminred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HAULING YOUR PLANE TO THE FIELD

HEY GUY'S HWO IS EVERY ONE TODAY. ANOTHER DAY CLOSER TO THE FLYING SEASON (FOR US MIDWESTERNERS) ANY WAY WHAT DO YOU GUYS HAUL YOUR PLANES IN TO THE FLYING FIELD. YEAH, I KNOW THAT YU HAUL THEM EITHER IN YOU CAR OR YOUR TRUCK BUT DO YOU HAVE A TYPE OF CASE ( OR SOMTHING SIMILAR) TO PREVENT THE TRAVEL RASH. i HAVE BEEN THINKING OF BUILDING AN ENCLOUSER TO HAUL THAT TURNS INTO A FLIGHT STAND. YOU IDEAS WOULD BE GREAT. POST SOME PICS OF WHAT YOU HAVE I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IF I AM CRAZY OR NOT WITH MY IDEA.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:03 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: HAULING YOUR PLANE TO THE FIELD

Hi red, I built a nice little rack that acommodates two planes. I made it out of PVC from home depot toatl cost was less than $10 & it works great. I built it with removable legs that spread out to the corners of my pick up bed fitting tightly enough that the whole thing can't move from side to side or front to back at all. It sits in there like a rock. Even when tested @ over 80 mph. It also becomes a holding rack at home or field by changing the removable legs. I posted some pics of it in an older thread. I'll see if I can find them for you. Then come back & post it.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:12 AM
farminred

THANKS, I APRECIATE IT VERY MUCH. i WILL BE LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING THEM.

ON A SIDE NOTE I FEEL THAT I NEED TO DESCRIBE MYSELF TO THE FINE FOLKS ON THIS FOURUM. tHE NAME FARMINRED IS AN OLD SIGN IN NAME THAT I USED ON ANOTHER FORUM. (IT IS THE ONLY THING THAT I COULD THINK TO USE ON THIS ONE.) PROIOR TO GETTING INVOLVED WITH THIS HOBBY i USE TO RESTORE OLD FARMALL (RED) TRACTORS AS WELL AS HELP MY FATHER IN LAW FARM IN THE SPRING AND IN THE FALL. HENSE THE NAME FARMIN RED. i NO LONGER HAVE ANY TRACTORS BUT i GUESS THE NAME STUCK.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:24 AM
elenasgrumpy

There red, That's what I came up with, that a Tower Trainer, & a Nexstar in the racks. I also have access to a utility trailer from my brother in law for when i get good enough for all my planes then i'll have to set up the trailer in order to take evrything to the field at the same time. But for now I' still just at the Trainer level talent wise, so this rack works great for me. I can still put my mini Edge 540 in the cab with me too, so that gives me three planes to play with it. Hopethese pics give you some ideas.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19452.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	409848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72365.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	409849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95911.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	409850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98759.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	409851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84932.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	409852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16364.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	409853  
Old 02-17-2006, 09:30 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

hI FARMINRED. wELCOME TO rcu! aNY CHANCE YOU CAN TURN OFF YOUR CAPSLOCK KEY? On the internet typing in all caps is considered shouting. In addition, it's actually easier to read if there's an attempt to use proper capitalization.

Anyway, on to the question at hand. My vehicles are an Explorer and Sebring convertable. I don't use a special rack. I just ensure that I load things in a way that they won't move or fall on each other. Occasionally I'll pad something with a blanket, roll of paper towels, etc, if I think it's going to move. One of the advantages of the smaller planes that I fly (.15-.25 size) is that I can get 3 or 4 in the Sebring. I've thought about building a rach for the Explorer, but haven't felt the need yet.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:32 AM
elenasgrumpy

Along that subject, I suppose mine could use some explanation as well. My first Grandbaby was born in Nov of 04 so she's a little over a year old now. Her name is Elena. The Wife, & Daughter have been accusing me of being a grumpy old fart for some time now, so naturally the baby picked right up on that too, & has referred to me as her grumpy since the day she started talking. In fact it was the first word out of her mouth, hence elenasgrumpy. lol
Old 02-17-2006, 09:34 AM
farminred

Sorry about the caps lock i just get so excited!!! no, I am kidding. I work with a design CAD system and it requires me to have the caps lock key on and I forget that it is on half the time. you know I am supposed to be working right now but it is Friday right.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:45 AM
KW_Counter

Grumpy,
Awesome holder! I have a similar but not so complex rig for my planes.
Custom build on for each plane if necessary.
I just wrap the wings in a blanket and place them in the bed of the truck at this time.
Only have a six foot bed and there is a roll up tonaue(sp?) cover in the front.
This only leaves about 5.5 feet on the top half - but I love the protection and security the cover offers.

A question to ponder: why is it that no matter what we build out of PVC it costs less than $10?

Since we're talking about handles, I am an accountant for a power producing company.

Good luck all,
KW_Counter
Old 02-17-2006, 09:59 AM
elenasgrumpy

Answer, simple. PVC is dirt cheap!! I bought like three or foue pieces of 1/2 in & some Ts, elbows, & 90s. I had the foam tubing allready as well as the little bit of hardware ie: eye screws that I tapped into the top of the caps, & found both the little bungies & the four big blue ones @ a store called big-lots four about $4 so I guess all in all maybe about $15. I stand corrected!
Old 02-17-2006, 10:04 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Plus if you buy a set of PVC cutters, fabricating something is very quick.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:12 AM
elenasgrumpy

P.S. KW counter, that is a short bet too. I had the roll-up cover on my 2003 F-150 & this rack would have just fit under it. I believe, but I could be mistaken because the 04 beds are a little deeper now, but it will definitely fit under a tanaue cover with this truck.
If need be I could have made this one a little shorter in overall height as well. I was just kind of winging it as I went along, no drwan up plans or anything. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:30 AM
elenasgrumpy

You just reminded me chuck. The pvc cutter is $8 to $10 bucks too if ya don't allready have one.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Lowlevlflyer
My Feedback: (3)

Yeah, the PVC cutter is really good to have... beats the HECK out of a hack saw!!
Old 02-17-2006, 02:59 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

I have a Ford Ranger with a cab high cover on the bed. I can usually get my airplanes in it but when they get large I stop building.
The Ranger has the King or Extra cab and it makes the bed too short to be practical. If any one is in the market for a new truck and wants a Ranger just be sure it doesn't have the extended cab and it will be alright for most modelers.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:03 PM
briansommers
My Feedback: (2)

a great thread!

i would like to get into giant scale and im thinking of either two ways:

(oh, i just have a med sized car, the back seats go down so it opens up all the way to the trunk that way)

1. build the plane with removable tail and/or fuse in two sections

2. get a car rack on top,

or just tow the thing!

i live in a little hicktown, - very small, so my flying field (either at my friends 40 acres or a lone dirt road somewhere) is close by...
Old 02-17-2006, 08:22 PM
elenasgrumpy

brian, build the giant scale first, then build the car around it.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:06 PM
agexpert

I have been hauling a Kadet Senior in the open bed of my pickup. The field is over 50 miles away and freeway speeds often top 85 mph. I just put the nose to the cab and secure it with a string around the prop shaft. I tie a string around the tail section loosely and put a pad underneath. I push the elevator to a full-down deflect to minimize resistance.

It has been fine so-far. I keep the wing halves in the cab. As soon as I hit 40 MPH, the tail is glued to the bed and the nose is in the air behind the cab. I really need a better system!! I will be watching this and similar threads.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:53 PM
2slow2matter

Aside from a trailer, Elenasgrumpy has the answer for you. No need to wait and look. I guess someone might come up with something I've not seen yet, but all of the carriers I've ever seen were either fabricated from wood, or from PVC, but all were built about like his. BTW, PVC is much cheaper, lighter, and much more flexible than wood. Also, it builds faster with fewer tools.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:59 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

Right now I have a very inefficient use of space in the back of a '99 Ford F-150 (Super Cab short bed)...I have wing racks on each side, and the fuses zig zag in the middle...I am thinking up of a more effcient use of space because the flying field I go to might close (darn development [:'(] ) and the next one is 35 miles away, so Sun_Kissed_Girl, me, Sun_Kissed_Girl's instructor (and friend) and another friend will all be carpooling to save some fuel. So, we have to figure out a way to fit all the following in the back of the truck:

[ul][*]4 airplane fuses (.40 to .60 size)[*]4 airplane wings [*]2 field boxes, one fuel box[*]Radio box
[/ul]

I can fit everything in the back right now, but one of the field boxes might smash into something. [X(][&:][:'(][&o]

I'll take a pic tomorrow morning if my current rack setup can help someone that isn't in my situation. I would take a pic right now, but its 28 degrees outside and thats pretty dang COLD! (Hey, it can get up to 110 during the summer) [X(] Every one was freaking out today because it SNOWED here for the first time in 16 years.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:37 PM
carrellh

I don't have any really good photos but this one works well for 60 size planes. My brother built it for me. I have a Chevy truck, 6.5 foot bed, with a fiberglass bed cover; so it doesn't move around at all. The bottom frame is about 1 to 2 inches shorter than the truck bed.

Name:	Nl29829.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	410316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52739.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	410317  
Old 02-17-2006, 10:49 PM
elenasgrumpy

Yup, PVC is the way to go. You can just sort of measure & build as you go once you've pictured in your head what you need or want to do with it. That rack I did took the better part of one morning because I had no plan in mind. I just woke up & said I'm gonna make a rack to carry the planes because I was tired of piling em in the back of the cab, & that's what I came up with.[sm=idea.gif]
Old 02-18-2006, 09:49 AM
KW_Counter

Drawn plans for a PVC .... Isn't that an oxymoron?
Yes, the PVC cutters are the way to go. Cuts building time to 1/2 or better.
I have also used PVC to make racks hung from the ceiling to hold the carrying racks and planes.
Wonderful stuff!!! Now the plumbing industry is switching to PEX.
I wonder what we'll figure out to build with it?
KW_Counter

ps: Grumpy, I wasn't challenging your estimate. That was more a rhetorical question.
It seems any time some one builds something out of PVC, no mater how large or small,
they always say less than $10. I apologize if you misinterpreted my intention.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:37 AM
elenasgrumpy

Kw, No not at all. Actually I stand corrected. As I allready had the cutters the PVC & glue were about $10, but after you mentioned it I realized that I do have another $4 or $5 in hardware & bungies there. Still a pretty cheap way to go, & it works great. In fact a number of guys after I showed up at the field with it the first time started asking if I would make them one. They all get the standard answer, "what do I look like, a plummer? lol
Old 02-18-2006, 02:58 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a Nissan Frontier truck that I have a topper on the back of. Unfortunately I can't make permanent installation of plane racks because my tools are in the back of the truck during the week. I use two shower curtain rods with foam wrapped around that spread across the topper for me to put a plane on. I can get 2 or 3 40 size planes (assembled) loaded at the same time. In the pictures you can also see that I charge in my truck. Since I have a garage to park in I will load my truck on Friday evenings (or leave it loaded on the weekends) and when I pull into the garage I hook my planes up to the chargers right in the truck. I had assembling planes at the field so I will do whatever I can to be able to transport to the field assembled.

That's my 2ΒΆ worth.

Ken

Name:	Vt57477.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	410652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34163.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	410653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52696.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	410654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt52506.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	410655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx24647.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	410656  
Old 02-18-2006, 04:26 PM
brooke

elenasgrumpy,
Could you attache some basic measurements of your setup? I really like the way it looks and the way it looks like it works. I'm sure I can wing it, but with the measurements I may be able to save some time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.