Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Items in your field box

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Items in your field box

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 07:57 AM
Dr1Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Items in your field box

Seriously, for plane support your field box should have:

*Any spare part that could break or fall off and your plane still be flyable when it's replaced.
*Tools to fit every fastener your plane uses.
*Spare props and glow plugs.
*Spare spinner or prop nut.
*Maybe a spare wheel.
*100 MPH tape (clear packing tape)
*CA and kicker. Be SURE the bottles are secured upright and the caps are firmly in place. (CAVEAT: CA has a very limited life in a tool box sitting in the hot sun. You'll end up replacing it often.)

Pilot support should include:

*A first aid kit.
*Standard meds like aspirin, tummy settlers, Immodium, eye drops, allergy pills, etc.
*Any special medicine you may need in an emergency. For example, an epi kit if you're allergic to bee stings, nitro tabs if you have a heart condition, sugar tabs for the diabetic.
*Sunscreen.
*Bug spray.
*Sunglasses.
*Hat or cap.
*Water and snacks.
*Some form of communication with the outside world. Amateur radio, cell phone, flares, homing pigeons, etc. If you're REALLY out in the boonies, a GPS would be a good idea, too. Although, I heartily recommend that you NEVER fly alone, sometines that's just not possible, so precautions should be taken.

You will probably start out with not enough. Something you never thought would break will. Something you never thought would fall off, will; usually in tall grass. As you gain experience and see what others carry, you will gradually add to your list. At first, you will not carry not enough. Then you will carry enough to rebuild the whole plane (and others) at the field. Then you will cull it down to just what you need. A good point was made in another post. I carry what it takes to make REASONABLE repairs to the framework and covering. If it's too bad, I take it home and repair it right.

One other thing. If I'm going to a special event away from my home field, I'll carry more stuff. I don't want to drive all the way to an out-of-town event and not be a ble to fly after a mishap.

Dr.1
Old 02-25-2006, 05:25 PM
CP140

One other thing to add to the list.... some kleenex or a roll of toilet paper... in case the "Porta-Potti" at the field hasn't been... serviced (?) lately..
Old 02-25-2006, 06:59 PM
pauluk2w
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: CP140

One other thing to add to the list.... some kleenex or a roll of toilet paper... in case the "Porta-Potti" at the field hasn't been... serviced (?) lately..

PORTA-POTTI???? what is one of them? is that the green thing at the end of the field with thorns? [X(] [:@]
Old 02-27-2006, 08:31 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pauluk2w

ORIGINAL: CP140

PORTA-POTTI???? what is one of them? is that the green thing at the end of the field with thorns? [X(] [:@]
Yep, poison oak/ivy optional. As are ticks, fleas and other critters.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:15 PM
mikeboyd

I didn't forget bandaids, I carry a full first aid kit seperately, not in the field box.

This thread became a topic of discussion at the field Sunday. Seems like many "Prop-Busters" have read this and are about as bad as I am about carrying multiple boxes of STUFF, just in case we need.

Still forgot a few items on the workbench yesterday, as haven't flown in over six weeks. Hope everyone got a little air time yesterday.

Happy landings,
Mike Boyd

ORIGINAL: Sarges_heroes2003

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Band-Aids

Glow Plug wrench.

Every size of Allen Wrench known to man.

Medium CA

Band-Aids

Pins

Small screwdriver for adjusting Low-End Needle

Servo wheels/screws

Band-Aids

Spare Clevises

Extra Fuel tubing

Spare Props

Band-Aids
I think you forgot band-aids.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:50 AM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Duct tape
Cord
String
5 minute epoxy
Fire extinguisher
CA Adhesive
Electrical tape
Sunblock
Water
Bug Spray
Scizzors
Knife
Camera
Fuel for 2 people
Parts and pieces carry box
Back-up plane

Last edited by Lee Taylor; 08-23-2018 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:24 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

duct tape and a garbage bag (just in case), too !.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:58 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

boy,...by the size of some of these lists,.... there must be some mighty big field boxes rolling around the paddock area !.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:22 AM
mgnostic

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts

If you have CA you really don't need band-aids Seriously though, my first few years my flight box was literally just a cardboard shoe box. As time passes you will collect tools if you haven't already. I've always lived some substantial distance from my flying field. My tendency is to pack for the airplane. My flight box has the regular stuff that most people have mentioned above and then there is a smaller box of stuff that goes with the one gasoline powered plane and a box of stuff for when I'm flying electric. 90% of my flying is glow powered so I can usually leave those boxes behind. I have a lot of tools that I seldom use at the field (prop reamers for instance) but the flight box is a convenient place to keep them. Every so often I go through my flight box to organize and clear up the clutter.that seems to migrate into the box. i would say that the single most useful tool in my box is a really good pair of hemostats. I also have the world's most reliable fuel pump; a 60cc veterinary syringe.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:59 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

OK. I fell for it - very old post. I should have caught on when everyone was talking about glow engines.

Last edited by JPMacG; 10-21-2018 at 06:18 PM.