Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I need help with my 4 Star 40! Warped wings

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I need help with my 4 Star 40! Warped wings

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 12:39 AM
Flyboywbl

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I need help with my 4 Star 40! Warped wings

I finished a 4*40 last year but i have not flown it yet (I'm too scared to move up from the trainer) but now i think i'm ready. The only problem is, is that the wings are warped. I built the wings on a board that looked flat but it was not resulting in a dip in both of the wing panels []. To describe it better the wings look like a "C" rotated 90 degrees to the left. they are so warped that the alerons (whitch are streight) stick out below the bottem of the wing tips. My question is, will this thing fly right or will it fly right into the ground? does it help that both wing panal's warps are identical. Should i scrap the kit and build a new one? Is there hope?
Old 02-27-2006, 03:46 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I need help with my 4 Star 40! Warped wings

Check with Sig you might be able to buy an ARF wing or maybe even the kit pieces, I have a kit I havent built yet myself that is in my basement so I worry about the wood warping in the kit from the humidity...Rog
Old 02-27-2006, 06:25 AM
sandal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is warped just a little you might be able to straighten it by pinning it to a flat surface and applying Balsarite (or similar), OR when you apply the covering.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:09 AM
gunfighterII

Never hurts to give it a try.
I have a old trainer that the fuse is twisted and the tail is 15 degrees out of parallel from the wing and it fly's just fine, you never know a little washout might improve the plane.
Rebuild the wing if neccessary. I'm sure Sig can supply you with the wing kit.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:47 AM
Red B.

ORIGINAL: Flyboywbl
... The only problem is, is that the wings are warped. I built the wings on a board that looked flat but it was not resulting in a dip in both of the wing panels []. To describe it better the wings look like a !QUOT!C!QUOT! rotated 90 degrees to the left. they are so warped that the ailerons (which are streight) stick out below the bottom of the wing tips. ...
I presume both wing halves have the same amount of built-in "bow". If this is the case, you should be O.K.
The ailerons will be a little less effective, but as long as the are not binding because of the bow even this will not be a problem.

Warped wings are a problem if the warp consists of a twist built into the wing, causing the left- and right-hand panels to have different angles of incidence. This gives rise to a rolling moment that will be hard to trim out. Often the warp also will give the aircraft bad stalling characteristics.

/Red B.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:03 AM
Flyboywbl

yea the warps are consistant and i knew right away after i built them that they were bad. I tryed to fix them my bending them but they just started cracking before any bending was possible so i stopped. I figure i might as well give it a try cuz its just been sitting in my work room for about two years and i'd rather crash it and build another one then never know if it would fly or not.
thanks guys
-Matt
Old 02-27-2006, 11:11 AM
Flyboywbl

Oh i just looked at Sig's website and they don't offer a wing kit or ARF wing. they have the Fuse and tail asembly. Does any one know where i could get a wing kit. Am i not looking in the right spot?
Old 02-27-2006, 12:18 PM
raideron
My Feedback: (1)

Flyboywbl,
Sig has the ARF wing replacement... Guess you missed the next page link on the
bottom.... But at $92.99.... The whole plane kit may be better... Or just give it a
try....

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV4.html?E+Sig

When ever you do fly the 4*... I think it'll be great.... They do fly good and land
I thought better than my trainer..... That was with the 4*60

The above link came out wrong... But they do have the replacement...
Old 02-27-2006, 12:41 PM
jlimey
My Feedback: (2)

Hi,

It looks to me like you have 3 choices, 2 of which have already been discussed. Fly it as is, replace the wing, or my suggestion, try to flatten the wings with the help of a little water. You said that you heard cracking when you tried to straighten them. You might try dampening the portion that needs to twist with very hot water and see if you can avoid that sound! Kind of like steam bending portions of a chair (BTW, I know a heck of a lot more about furniture building than kit building, so take it for what it is worth). If you have decided against flying as is, it couldn't hurt - nothing to lose!

Good luck,

Jeff
Old 02-27-2006, 12:51 PM
oldtyme

FlyBoywbl,

Are the wings covered yet? Sometimes you can pull warps/droops out of a structure by the sequence
and tension of the covering. Even if it is covered you can re-heat the covering and attempt to pull
out a bow/warp. This does not work with significant warps but minor ones it does.

Worth a try anyway......... ;^)

Cheers,
Andy
Old 02-27-2006, 12:52 PM
bruce88123

The replacement wing kit is SIG P/N SIGRPBK244 and cost $40.00 direct from Sig. Your LHS would also probably also order it for you if you wished.

There is a good chance your present wing will fly, although not perfectly of course. I recommend an experienced pilot maiden it for you "just in case" it requires fast reactions. If it flies as I suspect, you will be fairly satisfied with it however.

BTW - ARF wings don't fit on KIT fuselages without modifications. At least for this plane.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:01 PM
bruce88123

Also forgot to mention that if you buy the wing kit that it does not come with plans or assy instructions. You will need your originals or build it from memory.

This would also give you a chance to build a second wing and modify it. It could be shorter(1 bay). It could have dual servos( for better aileron control or flaperons). It could have different wing tips. A number of small mods to customize YOUR plane and turn an error into a blessing.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Flyboywbl

Yea i think since it is covered already and i have about five other planes i have not flown yet, I'm just gonna get an instructor to give it it's madain voyage and go from there.
Thanks for all your help guys
-Matt