Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
newbie starting, need ideas >

newbie starting, need ideas

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

newbie starting, need ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 10:26 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie starting, need ideas

You've gotten fairly good info so far.

Th O.S. engines... Yes they are good, but not the only good choice, especially for a beginner. I personally don't like the LA series, and the FX series is expensive. for your first engine the Magnum XL or Thunder Tiger Pro series engines are fine. Better power than the OS LA, and less cost than the FX.

With the trend in cost of radio systems having flattened out... It isn't a bad idea to get a low priced 6 channel system as the first radio. I advise beginners to not get a computer radio unless they know thier instructor has the same model radio, allowing the computer settings to be duplicated when on the buddy cord. (the computer settings are bypassed by the buddy cord system). thus, the Tower System 3000 (which is a Futaba radio...last year's model) 6 ch is what I recommend the most. (inexpensive, decent features, good quality.) A simple 6 ch like this is adequate for several years.

visit my site : http://www.geocities.com/fredhh/FHH_Homepage.html I've got a beginner's guide that may be helpful. Also, a link to Mr Sullivan's site, which I think has some of the best info on the web.
Old 04-13-2002, 10:48 AM

Why buy a second rate engine, if you can afford it, get the OS .46fx for your 40 size trainer. When you get to the field, you won't have to fiddle with the engine, you can just go and learn to fly. The stick on the left is the throttle, so you don't need a low power engine for your trainer. That way you will also already have the powerfull engine you will want for your second plane. There are a lot of other engines that you may or may not get a "good one", you will not hear people bad mouth an OS if they have one(other than the bad batch of liners they had some time ago). I agree with the part about getting in your local flying club, you'll get a lot of good advice there. Watch what other people are using, and how much trouble they have, then make your own decisions.
Old 04-15-2002, 09:50 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Beginner's Guide

Check out the beginner's guide on my web page. It will give you a lot of information that will benefit your first efforts.

R/C Flight Unlimited

Howard
Old 04-15-2002, 02:39 PM
Banned

Default Engine and Radio

I would suggest a good engine...OS is good, and you might want to check an ERVINE ....This will give you the edge to grow with you durable engine...As far as radio...I would say buy all the Radio you can afford, regardless of the brand......A radio is like a putter (if you play golf)...Get one you can live with...Mulitple model radios is a Godsend.....less hassle...Try to get a brand that most of your club members use..(and on a different freq).they can advise you about programing and the like...
Good Luck...

DOC
Old 04-15-2002, 06:56 PM
Banned

Default newbie

Well Skyblazer....looks like you said it all......And well put my friend.

DOC
Old 04-18-2002, 08:40 AM
My Feedback: (21)

Default Getting started...

Sig Kadet LT-40

O.S. 46 FX or TT pro .46

Futaba radios are nice, for starting a little four channel works great, conquests radios are nice

and to help your investment get an instructor, you learn a lot from them
Old 04-23-2002, 04:09 PM

Default WWII planes

Lots of good suggestions here for the newbie.

I agree that spending a few extra dollars on better equipment is worth the expense.

Radio: First thing is make sure your instructor is flying the same "mode" you are. Most radios are sold on Mode Two, but there are some old-timers that still fly Mode One. Recommend you learn on Mode Two if possible. The critical item here is that the "sticks" operate the same as the instructor is used to. Usually Mode One flyers can't operate Mode Two and vice versa. As to the brand name, you can always invest in a buddy box to plug into your own TX so don't worry if it's a different brand from the others. It's not until you get into programmable radios that it becomes helpful to know someone who knows how to use them. You'll use both the radio and the receiver in most of your future planes as you step up so get at least a 6 channel. I purchased a JR programmable radio so that I could put more than one plane on the one TX. (8 planes on one TX - each plane could be "memorized" by the program). Cost savings as I only had to buy the receiver and servos for the additional planes (and I only had to carry one TX to the field).

Engine: If you stay within the same size/weight plane, the engine can be transferred from one to the other. Get the better engine. You definitely don't want to be underpowered and you want an engine that is easy to operate and is dependable in flight.

WWII planes are also my interest. You probably won't want to step into the faster models until about your 3rd plane. You could try a Piper Cub (colored in olive drab with military markings). That would qualify for WMWA fly-ins and it's a forgiving 2nd plane. If it is a giant scale, it would also qualify for IMAA warbird meets. Another good model might be Hangar 9's PT-19 ARF.

Hope this all helps... Best of luck with your new hobby...
Old 04-26-2002, 11:01 AM

Default OS La's

I started this hobby by having a "freind" buy a used Hobbico Super Star 40 on my behalf. He now can't come over to the house or my wife will castrate him. Joke. Anyway the used plane had an OS 40 LA on it. I crashed that poor plane numerous times. Couple nose in's even into asphalt. The engine kept running. After terminally crashing trainer I have it on a Kyosho PT 19. It's not fast but does a good job of letting me warm up before I fly my GP AT6 with my new OS 46 LA. It screams. People at feild can't beleive its a 46 or that it's an LA. I do have Simline sport muffler. Can't believe all the bad posts about LA's. They have helped me get and stay in this hobby.
Duke.
Old 05-03-2002, 08:28 AM
My Feedback: (4)

No one has mentoned anything about the Avistar...
Not pluging any brand.
Here, I've seen more students learn to fly sucesfully with this plane that any other...and it's a ARF...
Old 05-10-2002, 07:16 PM
Banned

Default Who ya talking to boo....

He be talking to who be listening.
The mind is a terrible thing to waste.