Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD SECOND PLANE?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD SECOND PLANE?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 01:52 AM
AIRPLANEDAVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD SECOND PLANE?

I HAVE BEEN FLYING FOR A YEAR NOW AND AM NOW READY TO GET SOMETHING MORE ACROBATIC. FOR THE LAST YEAR I HAVE BEEN FLYING AND AVISTAR, WHICH I AM BORED WITH. I HAVE MASTERED IT IN ALL AREAS. I FLY IT AS IF IT WHERE A 3D PLANE; PERFORMING SNAP ROLLS, LOOPS, STALLS, BARREL ROLLS, AND ANYTHING ELSE YOU CAN DO WITH A TRAINER. BASICALLY I AM SUPRISED I HAVN'T BROKE IT FROM ALL THE STRESS.

A COUPLE PLANES I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT BUYING ARE THE SIG FOUR STAR 40 AND THE GREAT PLANES SUPER SPORTSTER 40. I WANT SOMETHING THAT WILL BE FUN TO FLY, EVEN AFTER I HAVE MASTERED IT. BASICALLY, I WANT SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T GET BORING LIKE A TRAINER AND IS SOMEWHAT EASY TO FLY. I AM MORE THAN HAPPY TO HEAR OTHER SUGGESTIONS FOR A SECOND PLANE

READY FOR WARM WEATHER
Old 03-15-2006, 02:46 AM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD SECOND PLANE?

Please remove the caps! It's like you are yelling or severely over-caffeinated. (Not a big deal, just a courtesy thing).

My second plane was/is a stick. Almost any good quality stick will do. My instructor likes the H-9 ultra-stick .40 .60 or .90 for his student's second plane. I am sure that the 4* and the sportster will make fine second planes for you as well. There are so many choices that I am sure you will hear many different recommendations here on RCU.

Personally, I like SIG and Hangar-9 ARF's the best, but I am interested in Jerry's Big Boy as well. (Sorry, I don't have a link handy). I just bought a UCD and a Mayhem, but they will be 3rd and 4th planes for me and it will take me so long to put them together that I will be ready for them by the time they are finished. (some time in 2007 at the current build-rate). [][]

You will get some good advice here on RCU, but take the advice of your instructor or some experienced flyers at your field as well. They will be more familiar with your flying skill, style and preferences.

All that being said, a stick is good second plane IMHO. Just be sure to make it a TD. I regret making mine a trike....gotta do something about that too. Maybe 2008.

Welcome to the best addiction on earth...OH, and keep telling yourself...'it's cheaper than golf'...'it's cheaper than golf'...'it's cheaper than ..... AW heck....I'm not fooling anyone.

Have Fun!!
Old 03-15-2006, 05:55 AM
SENZA

I second that of the H9 ultra stick,its smooth and responsive and goes where you point it and will float in as well, and it would be a great step into a tail dragger . also i never owned one but had seen a few is the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=164]midwest aerobat [/link] had i seen this before the stick i may have been persuaded
Old 03-15-2006, 06:12 AM
SENZA

I also want to mention the fact eather one will take your trainer gear with out spending extra money! from the stick i went on to the aeroworks 40 size 540 edge and then on to my first 50cc gasser [link=http://www.wildharerc.com/Products/ExtraSm/extra.html]wildhare extra sp[/link] trust me i did my home work on all of them...
good luck Bill
Old 03-15-2006, 06:29 AM
gunfighterII

Hi Airplane Dave,
Sounds to me like you have 2 perfect choices, I would stay away from the sticks and move right into a low wing tail dragger. I would have your instructor fly the maiden flight and stay close by for a few minutes until you get used to how a real plane fly's. The avistar was my trainer also, and the step up might be a little more challenging than you might expect, that's why I would shy away from the stick as I consider it a trainer and move right in to the tail dragger. It sounds like you are ready. Good Luck!
Old 03-15-2006, 06:59 AM
ctsieber

try an astro hog. they are great second planes.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:42 AM
rjm1982

Gunfighter...depending on the stick, they are far from trainers...

There are so many that generalizing them as such is kinda misleading to people.

They are high-wing, yes (more like shoulder-wing really), but that doesnt mean much...a superdecathalon can pull of as many crazy stunts in the air as an Edge or an Extra and do them just as well...and its high wing. Its all about the setup. Sticks come in so many different varieties its hard to categorize all of them into one bunch.

And about the trike/tail-dragger thing...i would keep it a trike for now if you get one...but thats me. That choice should be made by personal preference when available rather than the imfamous "it has to be a taildragger".

Taildraggers are nice...but I like the looks of trikes better, looks more scale unless your flying something at is a taildragger in real life...my 2nd plane choice is up in the air right now, but i know what the 3rd will be...the Seagull Twin Ace (.46 sized twin, and its beautiful) and its trike...and it wouldnt look right as a TD...again though, thats just opinion...im just saying make your own choice when you have an option to go either way...
Old 03-15-2006, 08:03 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

RJM,
So are you trying to say that a Super Decathlon is a stick???

AIRPLANEDAVE,
The two planes that you are asking about are both excellent choices for second planes. They are both very gentle when need be, but can turn loose and have some fun with. Considering your level and where you want to go I'll throw in another candidate, the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXZL43&P=0]Sig Something Extra[/link]. One other that is often a second plane is the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXH756&P=0]Goldberg Tiger 60[/link] .

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 03-15-2006, 08:46 AM
wxman

I was in the exact position you are since I had an avistar and felt like I had flown the pants off it! While I cannot tell you what to do, I can tell you the route I went. I was concerned about getting bored on a second plane like a 4* or Tiger 2 and asked around a lot at my field. I ended up going with a 90 sized Sig Mayhem. Landing is slow and very easy in addition to the plane being agile and manageable on low throws. I have been flying it for about 4 weeks and have moved passed the low throws onto 3D throws. I am loving the plane and it is a ton of fun to fly. Whatever you choose, good luck.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:43 AM
TideFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started with an Avistar as well. My second plane was a 4*40 ( actually, it was a PT-19, but it`s hardly aerobatic ). I thought it was a teriffic second step as far as basic aerobatics were concerned. I found that the Avistar can do many of the same maneuvers, but the 4* could do them " easier" and more precise. Unfortunately, lost the 4* to a bad battery. Stupid, stupid, stupid!! By the way, you might consider keeping your Avistar. It`s great to have that one plane that you are really comfortable with and just " go fly " when the mood is right. I know I`ve been glad I kept mine and still fly it regularly.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:21 AM
rjm1982

RCKen...good call

Nope...but i was confusing as heck, wasn't I...sorry

I was just saying that the generalization of High-Wing planes being "trainers" is far from true, and the super decathalon is a good example of that...it totally didnt come out that way though
Old 03-15-2006, 10:32 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: rjm1982

Sticks come in so many different varieties its hard to categorize all of them into one bunch.
I can categorize them into one bunch, Ugly!!!!
Old 03-15-2006, 10:36 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: elenasgrumpy

Sticks come in so many different varieties its hard to categorize all of them into one bunch.
I was staying quiet about it, but I agree. I've mostly avoided sticks because they appear too utilitarian. However, lots of people do like them, so it's all a matter of personal preference.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:42 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

http://www.airborne-models.com/

Take a wonder thru this site. He is Worlds Model distributor & IMO WM ARF's match or exceed the quality of H9. They have some very fine airplanes to choose from.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:51 AM
AIRPLANEDAVE

Well thanks everyone and sorry about the caps lock. I didn't mean to be rude. I am going to check out the other planes you guys have suggested. If anyone thinks of another plane that would be a good choice feel free to tell me.

Thanks
Old 03-15-2006, 11:36 AM
ClarkFlyer

I currently have a Super Sportster AND a 4*. Both are marvelous to fly but I'd say the 4* will keep you interested longer. Its more capable than the SS when it comes to aerobatics. Given that you sound pretty competent, I'd echo the suggestion of the Sig Something Extra. Its pretty easy to fly and will do some pretty wild things. Typical of SIG, its a wonderfully built ARF and I guarantee you that you'll be thrilled with it.
I've had two......RIP.....the first I powered with an OS .46 AX and it had plenty of power. The second I powered with an OS .50SX...what a firebreather!! I lost the first one due to hooking up my ailewron servos backwards......sigh, gotta do those preflights.......and I lost the 2nd one due to becoming disoriented while inverted.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:31 PM
TheParrot

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: elenasgrumpy

I was staying quiet about it, but I agree. I've mostly avoided sticks because they appear too utilitarian. However, lots of people do like them, so it's all a matter of personal preference.
I agree Chuck, I never liked the Stick that much, but the Ultra Stick is probably the most popular plane at our field! One guy has a Super Stick, an Ugly Stick, and an Ultra Stick! I don't get it!
Old 03-15-2006, 12:51 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering what you can already do with the Avistar, I think that you will quickly find a 4* equally boring -- despite being a low-wing tail dragger, it can't do much more than an Avistar -- probably too tame for you.

A good stick is a reasonable choice because you seem to be quite adventuresome & sooner or later you're gonna plant it. The stick will let you explore things a bit without risking bankruptcy, & will quite possibly survive several attemps at using it to creatively plow your garden.

However, what is good for you depends on how you want to develop your flying career -- if 3D is your bag, I think that you could handle a Funtana (although, like most 3D birds, they break very easily with rough handling, including simply going too fast).

If you have war birds in mind, try the H9 PTS Mustang -- remove the training aids & put a decent prop & a Tower muffler on it. You won't have any trouble at all with the transition.

If fast, aerobatic sport flying appeals to you, & which could lead to something like Pattern-flying later on, I suggest a GP Super Sporster, or even an Ultra Sport +, although the Ultra Sport will require considerable care for a few flights (maybe even a check-flight on a buddy cord).
Old 03-16-2006, 09:47 AM
gunfighterII

Hi rjm1982,
I take back my trainer comment, I realize that some sticks are not trainers, I was just pointing out the fact that high wings handle much differently than low wings and I just feel that's the natural progression in the hobby, of course I'm a old timer and seeing all these newbies flying a P-51 as their first plane is a little odd for me.
I do take issue with your Decathalon statement, comparing it to the Edge or Extra. I've flown all three and own the H9 Edge and Goldberg Extra, I was never able to do the things with the super decathalon that I can do with the Edge or Extra.
Glad to see we have a few guy's consider the ugly factor in regards to the sticks, I agree they are popular but what's the point of flying something that does not even look like a airplane. I'll quote the truckies, all sticks are good for is to bash!
Old 03-16-2006, 12:58 PM
derek533

I'll suggest the H9 Twist. It's cheap ($99arf), fun to fly and can do anything you can throw at it. Put a 46 in it and it will hang on the prop with proper throttle management. Put a Saito 82 for even more fun. Standard servos are the norm for it so you can have a really fun and cheap flying second bird. They also make the plug-n-play version that includes everything and the servos are already mounted for you for $250 I believe. You just have to install your own receiver and go. The only downside is that the trim scheme is all white so on a cloudy day, it may present orientation problems. The arf version is bright yellow and purple and cannot be missed!

It was my second plane and I love it. It floats on landings and has a reeaaal thick symmetrical wing so landings are non-eventful. Keep it on low rates for a couple of flights until you get used to it. It will fly better than a trainer on low rates and when you crank em up, watch out, it can 3d like no tomorrow.

Good luck
Old 03-16-2006, 02:19 PM
rjm1982

Derek..I dont know if i would call the twist a good second plane, ive seen 6 different fuselages break (2 were at a grass field) on landing...all in the exact same spot, a straight line from the front of the turtle deck down to the read of the wing mount...
Old 03-16-2006, 04:18 PM
DrtJnky

I also considered the H-9 Twist for my second plane, althought I have some previous experience, but ended up going with the U-CAN-DO 3D from great planes 'cause of the Fuselage issue. I run the .46 ARF with a Saito .65 4-stroke and and 6ch. computer radio and think it is an awesome second plane. Easier to take off and land with!! Flies slow and precise. I also find it easier to control in the air as you do not have to fight the design of the plane to recover. I firmly believe that some people crash trainers because of there slow responding/flying nature. Thaey are not fast and will never be fast, if thats your thing. Avoid props with a lot of pitch and you will have no problem. My two cents??
Old 03-22-2006, 11:57 PM
go-vertical

Airplanedave.... Ive been flyin and teaching for 20 some odd years and might I suggest you take a look at Top Flites 60 contender . The kit is fairly easy to build and all the flying characteristics you could ask for. Stable at low speeds and almost stall proof. High speed maneurvers are as crisp as any pattern bird around! The contender easily can be converted to tail dragger, BY MOVING THE MAIN GEAR forward when you build the wing . Then just add the tailwheel . This bird is just fun to fly and will sharpen your skills when you want it to. Well good luck with whatever you choose!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77961.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	431268  
Old 03-24-2006, 05:28 AM
skorman
My Feedback: (3)

I have to add my vote for an Ultra Stick 60 with a Saito 100. Great flying plane. Easy to takeoff and land and is very aerobatic. Solid as a rock in the air. Despite the lack of dihedral, it is extremely stable and forgiving. After 3 years of flying, this is still one of my favorites. Also, go for the quad flaps. You'll find them worth it in the long run.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:49 AM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

I have got to agree with the 4 Star votes. It's one heck of a nice flying plane. Even better when matched up with a four stroke engine.