Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Believe it or not this is the culprit that got me started.

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Believe it or not this is the culprit that got me started.

Old 03-23-2006, 09:01 PM
Whistling Death

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Believe it or not this is the culprit that got me started.

I was eyeballing this 21st Century Toys M1A2 Abrams back at Christmas, drooling actually, but I just wasn't going to spend $200.00 for this thing. I went back to later about a month after Christmas and they had them out on a clearance rack for $80.00. Man was I happy to see that! I got it with all intentions of customizing it. So I tear off to the nearest hobby shops to look a motors, shocks, lights etc. My son and I went to 4 different shops. A funny thing happened while I in these shops. A life long burning desire to have RC planes started to ignite in me. So now hear I am with 3 planes, 2 radios and all the supporting gear.

Jeesh, I just went to the store for a few lights and things for my tank and something snapped,lol.

How did it happen for you?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60172.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	431778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73013.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	431779  
Old 03-23-2006, 09:07 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Believe it or not this is the culprit that got me started.

Aubiecat,
Cool!!! It's funny how this hobby can sneak up on you. I've wanted to fly RC since I was about 12 or 13, but couldn't afford to get into it until I was 31. For those that are "meant" to be in it, there is no escaping the addiction. It can lay dormant for awhile, but eventually it comes out!!!

Welcome to the addiction.

Ken
Old 03-23-2006, 09:35 PM
TheParrot

I've been around RC my whole life. I used to go to the flying field with my dad when I was 2 or 3. I brought my toy planes with me! When I was 12 or 13 my dad bought a Kadet Senior kit and it all went downhill from there!
Old 03-23-2006, 10:30 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

So, since Christmas (3 months) you've bought three planes and two radios? that's insane. How many of them have you flown? What planes are they?

My brother got me in when he bought a little foamie a couple of summers ago. I've always been fascinated with aviation, but (like others), couldn't afford it when young, and it never really crossed my mind again until I saw his little foamie. We never did get that thing to fly, but we sure have a boat load of nitros, and some gassers now!!!

Mucho Fun!!
Old 03-23-2006, 11:29 PM
Whistling Death

No 3 planes in the last month. I have a Hobbico Hobbistar 60, Sig Fourstar kit ( in the box ), Top Flight Giants Scale Corsair kit ( in the box ) I have yet to fly my trainer. Insane yes. [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3988839/tm.htm]Funny you should mention. "insane"[/link] I will begin training in the coming weeks. The weather is still a bit crazy down here. Tornado season.

I know it crazy but this has been a long time coming. As soon as I get my wings I will build the Fourstar then probably another. The Corsair is something I have wanted since I was real young. I am going to make it a nice piece. Then someday I might get the guts to actually fly it. Good thing is we basically have year round flying down here in Alabama. So my big problem might be keep enough glow fuel.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:53 PM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

It was all Dad's fault !! Like Parrot my Dad used to to take me all around the midwest to Rat-Racing & Combat competitons when I was very young living in Oklahoma. He would make me really nice rubberband powered gliders much bigger & nicer than the ones in the stores. I'd play with my toy planes & he would collect most of the Trophies to be had that day. Then as a youngster I messed around with control line too. But not to the exent that he did. I didn't have the patience to build them right I was allwys trying to fly them before the glue even had a chance to dry. Then one day a few years ago he called me & said he was done flying & would I come pick up these planes because he needed to clear out some room down stairs. I was pretty much helpless from that point on. I had no Idea he was talking about 3 pick-up loads worth of the stuff he had collected over the years.[8D]
Old 03-24-2006, 12:41 AM
shakes268

This thread is so similar to how I got into it.

Christmas before last, my parents decided to buy my brother and I R/C Hummer H2's even though I was 31 at the time and he was 29. It was a great, fun gift and we had a blast. It got my thinking of how I used to want to fly R/C planes as a kid. I had also changed jobs and was no longer traveling 100% so I needed something to fill my time. On the flight home I decided I was going to do this and ordered a plane a couple of weeks later.

Here is the picture of my first plane under assembly sitting alongside the "seed" that started it all.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58517.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	431905  
Old 03-24-2006, 06:56 AM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

Wow, does that tank have real guns on it. [X(]

Nice story. I started out in R/C racing off road stock trucks (Team Associated RC10T). Haven't raced again since I started flying.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:27 AM
kiswa
My Feedback: (4)

I got interested in it back when I was about 15 (11 years ago). I can't remember how I got interested in it then, but that's not important because I was never able to get into the hobby at that age.

What I did was go get my hair cut last year (around January 2005) and see a couple Model Aviation mags at the stylist (yeah, she's a stylist not a barber, but that's my wife's fault, I'd be fine with a barber). Anyway, she said I could have the magazines since she was going to refresh the ones she had out with up-to-date mags and I took them home and started reading. That re-ignited the RC bug for me and I flew for the first time at a Fun Fly in February. Then I flew my own plane for the first time in March '05.

Now I'm up to my third plane and ready for my fourth (SIG Hog Bipe, I'm thinking)!
Old 03-24-2006, 08:23 AM
tuwood

I too have wanted an R/C plane since I was a kid. (now 33) I would go to the hobby store & stare at the planes for hours as a teenager. For the last 10 years or so, my wife would always ask me what I wanted for christmas and I would tell her an R/C airplane to which she would just roll her eyes.
Last October I had a fresh expense check for $250 from work and a friend of mine said he wanted to go look at R/C planes. Lets just say that I left the store with a new RTF electric & spent every waking hour either flying or fixing it. Since then I have bought a Nexstar, built a Sig Somethin' Extra, & am almost finished with my Goldberg Ultimate. My wife can't believe how much fun I am having and R/C is the part of my life that's always been missing.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:47 AM
skoemba

I was also a wannabe since I was very little. Then, when I turned 31 I thought "what the heck".

I started with a Traxxas Stampede, sold it to buy an Emaxx, then a trainer plane. Now my Emaxx is standing in the LHS to sell so I can by a better radio.

I have shares in the LHS. At least, I should have. I at least paid for the building while enjoying this hobby!
Old 03-24-2006, 01:31 PM
Kwigen

Get your wings then you have to get an A-10. You and your son can draw straws to see who gets the Abrams and who gets the Warthog!
Old 03-24-2006, 02:36 PM
Whistling Death

Gosh, I didn't think about that. Man you may have just cost me another 2 or 3 hundred bucks. I do want to get into ducted fans someday. The A-10 would be perfect platform do it on too. BTW the A-10 is one of my favorite modern planes.