Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Excess RX aerial wire.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Excess RX aerial wire.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 09:54 AM
The aircrash bureau

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excess RX aerial wire.

I run the RX aerial wire on my trainer out of the top of the models fuzz, just behind the wing. I use a button to stop it pulling right through the fuzz. I then run the aerial wire up to the tail fin where it goes through a hole in the tail fin and then run it back down on it's self, the excess aeriel is then held in place about half way down the aerial wire with a small Peace of fuel tubing. Is this the correct way to run the RX aeriel wire and take up the excess?.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:03 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Excess RX aerial wire.

The aircrash bureau,
If I understand correctly what you did with your antenna is to attach it to the tail and then double back on itself. If that is correct then it is improperly installed. When you double back the antenna wire on itself you effectively decrease the size of the antenna which then decreases the range of your radio. Then antenna wire needs to be extended to it's full length. After you attach the wire to the tail assembly just let the excess hang loose. It will extend to full length when you start flying the plane.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 04-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Cogburn

The antenna is of a tuned length and really should be left to hang straight out in flight to maximize range. No doubling up or winding it up in the fuselage. Do not cut it off. Just let it hang out the end of the plane. [8D]
Old 04-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Dr1Driver

Do not double the RX antenna back on itself. That might drastically shorten the range. Let the free end hang free.

Dr.1
Old 04-04-2006, 10:51 AM
The aircrash bureau

Ok. Thanks guys. I have now moved the fuel tubing holding the excess run of aeriel wire up to the tail fin and let the excess aeriel wire hang loose at the fin as per all your posts. Thanks again.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:02 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sure is NICE to have someone pay attention isn't it ?? ENJOY !!! RED
Old 04-05-2006, 03:30 AM
jetmech05

you can also run the antenna inside the fuse that way you decresase the chance it'll get damaged in transit
Old 04-05-2006, 07:44 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

you can also run the antenna inside the fuse that way you decresase the chance it'll get damaged in transit
If you do this, keep it away from metal pushrods and other electronics. It can be run through a tube in order to exit at a desired location. Use a plastic tube and NOT carbon fiber. [:@]
Old 04-06-2006, 07:03 PM
jrpnde

There are numerous ways to deal with extra RX length. All those replies about not cutting the length or doubling back on the wire should be strictly obeyed. You didn't mention which trainer model you have but the function of any RX wire must be functional even if cosmetics are sacrificed. A simple and old method could be another option.......

If the RX wire is coming out of a hole in the fuse, get one of those straight pins that hold new shirts folded up. Those are the ones that have a very small metal ball for a head.
Cut a short piece of fuel line about 1/4" long.
The fuel line should be pliable and short enough so that you can stick the straight pin from the inside diameter of the fuel line thru the wall of the fuel line.
When done you have that piece of fuel line with the little ball head sitting inside and the rest of sticking out.
Assuming you have a plane constructed of balsa, carefully push the pin into the wood at a spot on the top edge of the tail fin.
Use small or needelnose pliers to push the pin since you want it to be fairly centered in the thickness of the fin and that will be easier than doing it freehand.
Take the RX wire and thread it thru the piece of fuel line. The head of the straight pin should fill up enough space in the inside diameter of the fuel line to allow the RX wire to be threaded thru but also provide enough drag to keep the RX wire fully extended. There probably won't be more than a few inches of RX wire trailing behind the fin. If there is a mishap with flight or something else, the RX wire may be yanked back thru this mechanism to ease possible tension on the business end of the circuit.

Other methods such as "T" pin thread-thrus can also be used. Since this is a trainer model and not knowing your experience level, it's a simple alternative.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:44 PM
The aircrash bureau

My trainer is the ARC Ready 2. It's of an all plastic contruction. I am only just starting out in R\C models.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:21 AM
checkmate91

I too have a Ready2. I ran the antenna wire down through the fuselage and out a hole at the back near the elevator push rod. I've replaced the pull-pull wires with a rod for the rudder but there's absolutely no probs with range or function in the air. It's much neater and easier than trying to fit something to the hollow fin on these plastic planes. The only downside that I can see is that the end that dangles in the airflow gets coated with oily exhaust residue. But it cleans up OK.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:12 AM
The aircrash bureau

Checkmate91

Hey, a felllow Ready2 owner, great. Have you painted yours or is it just in the factory"white" plastic finish?.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:19 AM
checkmate91

And from the UK too! Painted? Oh yes! I'll see if I can add a picture or two... OK, quality is poor but I think you get the idea! All of the club Ready2's are painted, a couple in white with flashes (or the sticker pack) and a very nice all yellow job which is not quite load as mine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73601.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	440445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61504.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	440446  
Old 04-07-2006, 09:41 AM
The aircrash bureau

From Essex. You know, I never noticed LOL. That first pic looks a bit close to the trees. Is the Ready2 is to paint. I'm thiking about doing mine but seeing as it's already built it may be a bit hard. It's a big model when it's all been put togther. It would be much easier to do these things on a brand new (unassembled) model. By the way, which club are you a member of?
Old 04-09-2006, 03:15 PM
checkmate91

Close to the trees? What do you think all that smoke's doing! Actually it's a bit of an illusion although the trees have claimed one or two over the years.

As for painting, I brush coated mine with one of the various modelling enamels that you get in the diy stores, the other guys at the club have had great success with car body paint (and it's fuel proof). Even if you've built up the model you can mask off the important bits (i.e engine, front nose leg) but if you've already put decals on it you're probably better off leaving it alone.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:21 PM
skorman
My Feedback: (3)

I like to use an antenna bobbin which allows you to wind up around 18 inches of antenna. You have to make sure that the antenna wire does not overlap on the bobbin. On both ends of the bobbin are slits that hold the wire tight and in place. The rest I run through an antenna tube inside the fuselage. Neat and clean.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:26 AM
VeeAte

Not sure if this applies to RC models or not, but when I worked for a telecommunications company during training we were told about the risk of using parallel wiring in domestic phone line installation. If you run two bits of wire close together and parrallel you are making what is known as a "balun antenna". This sort of antenna will pick up almost any kind of radio transmission and cause interference. As I recall this is only with straight wires inside the insulator and not so bad with twisted core wiring etc. I am not sure if RX antennae are twisted core or not, but I am guessing that they are so may not apply to aerials on RC models.

Never ever coil household extension leads etc when in use. I have seen extension leads turned into a puddle of melted rubber from running high draw drills etc off them when still coiled on one of those handy extension cord reels or simply left coiled on the ground while in use.

As I am not expert on RC electronics I doubt any of this applies, but thought I would mention it as it applies to most things electric.

Hopefully some of the electronics guru's will step in and let me know.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:00 AM
skorman
My Feedback: (3)

As long as the antenna wires do not overlap on the bobbin, it's fine.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:49 PM
joesabido

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what I did so the antenna wouldn't be hanging long after the plane
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54175.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	448429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13772.jpg
Views:	10