Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Does Monokote stick to CA spots?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Does Monokote stick to CA spots?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 10:06 PM
jlimey
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Monokote stick to CA spots?

Hi,

I have just started my first kit in 30 years (Venture 60) and was wondering if covering will stick to areas that have smoothed CA glue on them. On my first wing, the medium CA ran much more than I expected and I have spots on the lower spars. I'm pretty handy with a hand scraper, so I can get them off without damage to the wing, but it is a lot of work ( that stuff is hard!). So, does the wood need to be bare to get good covering adhesion, or with it stick to the CA?

Either way, I plan on being a little less liberal with the glue on wing 2!

thanks,

Jeff
Old 05-10-2006, 10:32 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Does Monokote stick to CA spots?

I always use a product called Balsarite before I cover. I brush one coat on all the surfaces I want covering to stick to. I also brush 3 to 4 coats in areas I want to fuel proof. These include the engine and tank area along with around the wing saddle where the covering ends.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:06 AM
Buteos

Boy I hear that!!!! I am working on the same plane and was going to ask the same question or just take a scrap piece of wood and see what happens....
Old 05-11-2006, 07:46 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A more direct answer is "NO", I don't think it will stick very well at all. The balsa rite should do the trick though.

Better yet, build with a good wood glue like Tite Bond II or III. Takes a little longer to set but is healthier for you and gives you time to correct positioning mistakes. Excess wipes off with a damp cloth also.
You can't use CA or Tite Bond or Epoxy everywher. You will find the right combination that works for YOU. I personally prefer mostly Tite Bond. Or Elmers for RCKen .
Old 05-11-2006, 07:51 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

Or Elmers for RCKen .

Ken
Old 05-11-2006, 07:56 AM
burgh_guy61
My Feedback: (11)

I do know, CA sure sticks to monokote though
Old 05-11-2006, 08:08 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure about Monokote sticking to CA. I have not had any problems in the past though.

Unless you have a specific reason for using Balsarite or SIG StixIt, why add the extra weight ?

I have always tried to keep the plane as light as possible. I try to make ANY excess weight WORKING WEIGHT - larger/heavier battery, larger/heavier engine, heavier main wheels. If you must add weight, make it working weight, not dead weight.

MOST coverings have decent adhesive.

I have found the exceptions to this are:

Coverite (marginal at best adhesive) and coverings with no adhesive (Koverall, etc.)

As a "top coat" over previous fuel soaked areas.

In areas where the covering can not be wrapped, such as windows. In the areas that can not be wrapped I suggest SIG StixIt. The wood is going to come apart before the covering comes off.

Just my thoughts/opinions.

Hope it helps.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Missileman

The answer is YES, Monocoat does stick to CA spots. I too was a bit excessive on my wings and ended up with a bunch of extra CA on the bottom. I did sand them as smooth as I could but the Monocoat stuck really well, no problem at all.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:47 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

i have used ca on a lot of builds and never had any problems with it sticking.i agree with campy i try to keep my models as light as possible
Old 05-12-2006, 05:26 AM
Mode One

You won't have any trouble, unless at lap joints. Scuffing with sandpaper should do the trick.

Balsarite adds negligible weight to the airframe. Use, don't use, but don't worry about adding weight because. I'm of the opinion Balsarite also stiffens and hardens the surfaces it is applied to. This is an added benefit of it's use. I guess if your "Bonkers" over 3D, worrying about weight might be critical to you. I still think the weight added is negligible.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:33 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Campy
Unless you have a specific reason for using Balsarite or SIG StixIt, why add the extra weight ?
Because it helps the covering stick better, provides fuel proofing, doesn't weigh much, and as Mode One observed, hardens the surface. Think of it as primer for covering.