Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Click here if you're afraid of kits >

Click here if you're afraid of kits

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Click here if you're afraid of kits

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Click here if you're afraid of kits

Ohhh now I get it!!! [X(][X(][X(][X(]

Thanks a lot Bruce!!
Old 05-31-2006, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: joesabido

Now that I read those posts, I had a vision of what shear webs might be for... maybe they're to prevent the ribs from bending vertically and cracking or to prevent main spar missalignment which would end up with a rhomboid shaped wing, when seen from the leading edge.

Looking good so far!

Looking really good!

The shear webs prevent the wing spars from bending up or down under load. Some kits don't have them at all due to stiffness being created another way. I built a Tower Hobbies Uproar 60, which is very similar to your kit, and the instructions said not to worry about making the shear webs contact the ribs; just be sure they're glued securely to the spars.

ORIGINAL: jpease

I have been thinking about build a kit myself but I had no idea how to start and I also was wondering how expensive it was to buy all the tools.
There aren't a lot of tools required. This list came from a Great Planes manual for the PT-60 trainer kit. Great Planes manuals are available online and the ones for their trainers have tons of info to help beginning builders.

Listing of GP manuals http://www.greatplanes.com/manuals

This list looks bigger than it really is:
Epoxy brushes, mixing Sticks, mixing cups
Hand or electric drill and drill bits
Sealing iron and Heat gun for covering
Hobby saw (X-acto® Razor Saw or similar)
Hobby knife, #11 Blades
Pliers
Wire cutters
Screwdrivers (Phillips and flat blade)
Round file (or similar)
T-Pins
Straightedge with scale
Masking tape (required for construction)
Sandpaper (coarse, medium, fine grit)
T-Bar sanding block (or similar)
Waxed paper or clear plastic sheeting
Lightweight Balsa Filler
IsopropyI rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol
Drafting triangle or carpenters square
Dremel Moto-Tool or similar (optional)

When you open the box and see the lumber yard that comes out, it scares the heck out of you. Once you sort and mark everything, and remove the parts from the sheets, it starts looking a little better. I have only built 2 kits and I really enjoy it.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:56 AM

Thanks for the list Carrell, I have everything on the list, except the dremel and the waxed paper [&:][&:] but I guess I'll be fine without them

A little progress here...

Cut and shape the turtle deck sheeting, get it wet and test fit between the fuse side and the top stringer untill satisfied with the fit. Then glue to the side of the stringer and the top side of the fuse formers

Working slowly, bend the sheeting down towards the fuse side while glueing it to the formers.

Hummm... it looks like this is "less than perfect" fit

... but we'll sand it off [>:]

More to come!
Old 06-01-2006, 07:21 AM

Turtle decks are hard to do perfectly. For the first one, this is real good.

BTW - a couple drops of amonia in the water seems to make the wood bend easier too. Don't rush the process. Let the moisture do the work. Overbend slightly if you can and let wood dry(and take a set). Then glue in place and you will find yourself actually spreading the decking slightly while installing it.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:46 AM

Thanks for sticking around bruce, and thanks for the advice, I'll write that down for my next turtle deck [sm=thumbup.gif]

I can't wait to finish this thing! I'm going as fast as I humanly can, but it never seems to end [&:]

Here I have already glued and drilled the firewall

This is the engine mount I'll be using for now. I'll change it for a plastic one if it comes nose heavy

Here goes the fuel tank compartment

Epoxy the wings to the fuse and make some hatch covers

I'll try to start covering this afternoon or tomorrow morning, wish me luck, it will be my first kit covering and second covering job all around [&:][&:][&:]
Old 06-01-2006, 12:08 PM

Don't forget to fuelproof the tank compartment.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:24 PM

Very nice build thread, I really enjoyed it. Nice clear pics and details. Can't wait to see the color scheme you have choosen and see this beauty finished.

This is the first kit design I have seen that has it's wings glued to the fuselage, verrrry interesting . Maybe I missed it mentioned but what kit is this that you are building? Are mid-wings like this considered sport planes or can they be flown as a 2nd plane after learning the basics?

Again, very nice build, looking real nice, and can't wait to see it covered. Please keep us posted on it's completion.[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 06-01-2006, 01:43 PM

From post #1

Great Planes Dazzler

http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma0480.html
Old 06-01-2006, 01:57 PM

Thank you bruce, don't I look foolish now [sm=bananahead.gif] Right in front of me (In the 1st post at that) and went right by me. So sorry!!!!

With it being a sport plane, not yet in my abilities and may never be

Very nice-looking plane though [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 06-01-2006, 02:56 PM

Get some flying behind you and maybe as a third plane. All depends on how well you do. Some people it could be their trainer and others never get off their trainers.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:08 PM

Thank you for your kind comments Steve (that's your name right?)

This "plane" has the wings glued to the fuse because it's small and will fit in almost any car without taking the wings appart.

I have never flown one of these so-called Dazzlers, but i've seen them fly, they are just fun fly planes. You can set it up to be mild and slow or bring up the control surface travels and get wild [sm=bananahead.gif]

Somewhere in this forums I got to read the Pro's and the Con's of this model:

Pro's: Tight loops and fast rolls
Con's: All it can do is the Pro's

It's not a beast or anything like that, just goes where you point it to.

These are the colors I'll use

Old 06-01-2006, 03:16 PM

Very nice color choice. You can buy some matching paint that is fuelproof so that you can do the engine compartment that matches your scheme (yes, remember to fuelproof the engine compartment). You also have to remember to fuelproof the fueltank compartment and should also the radio compartment, although you don't need the color for that, just brush epoxy on for those two areas.

P.S: Yes, I am Steve - and welcome to the fabulous world of RC building, it is a great rush to see an actual airplane built with your own two hands.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:19 PM

$50 kit from Tower and here is also a review.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ591&P=7
http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=3610
Old 06-01-2006, 04:44 PM

Your doing an amazing job Joe, look forward for see how she looks, keep it up [sm=thumbup.gif]

Happy Flying

Paul
Old 06-02-2006, 12:41 AM

Thanks for the advice Steve, I fuelproofed the firewall and fuel tank compartment with thinned epoxy since it was what I had at hand.

Thank you for the kind words Paul, stick around

Well, I started covering, so good so far...

There goes the rudder...

... and the ailerons...

There we have ailerons, elevators and rudder

Now start with the tail junctions

And wing-fuse junctions

Wing tips and trailing edges [8D]

Wing underside

... and top side...

there goes one of the leading edges...

Damn.. it's night allready [&:]

There goes the tail

And the remaining leading edge

Underside

Canopy floor

And turtle deck/fuse sides...

Let's hinge the ******* [>:]

Landing gear

I'm almost done, I'll try to finish it now and I'll post the pictures tomorrow morning, I need my hammock, my back is killing me
Old 06-02-2006, 02:13 AM

Joe, I have to say that is impressive work! [X(] For a so-called newb, you did an excellent job, and it was fast too! My Stunt Wagon took days to finish (though I wasnt working much at a time) and it still is not as nice as that, and it was my 3rd kit covering job. Still, incredible job and the plane looks fantastic! Best of luck to you, and many happy flights with it!
Old 06-02-2006, 02:40 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Dude - you're building fast! Looks great. Nice color scheme.

somegeek
Old 06-02-2006, 10:01 AM

Thank you guys

I'm having some days off from work, my boss gave them to me because I worked lots of overtime last week to help him out ... but my guess is that he just doesn't wanna pay the overtime, so you could say I pre-worked this week

So these days my life has been something like:

1: Wake up
2: Building board
3: Eat
4: Building board
5: Toilet
6: Building board
7: Dinner
8: Building board
9: Shower
10: Sleep (and dream about the darn building board [&o])
11: GoTo 1

Anyway... well fellas... IT'S DONE!!!

I used the Windex method to apply some monokote graphix

And also used some Windex for the decals too

Electronics and throttle pushrod & servo

Control horns & linkages

Ready to fly!!!

Took her to the field today for her first sunbath, but maybe because of the lack of sleep or the exitement... I forgot to charge the batteries [&o], so I came back to post the pictures and the maiden will be tomorrow ... now I just need some sleep [sm=sleeping.gif][sm=tired.gif]

I don't know how she'll fly, she is nose heavy, I think i'll change the engine mount to a plastic one I have at hand

So... what do you think?
Old 06-02-2006, 10:37 AM

It looks great, especially for a 4 day build. The plastic mount should help.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:21 AM

Hell of a fine job! You sure you're a first time builder? Build looks like an old pro in disguise. I really like the cover job, simple, but has a very classy look to it.

Cheers,
Graham
Old 06-02-2006, 12:36 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I watched this thread from the beginning because I am "afraid of kits" and now I think I am going to consider a kit for my next plane. I have an Avistar that was ARF as my trainer and was going to get the Sig 4* 60 ARF as my second plane as soon as i can come up with the money. Now I think I might try the kit version and use the extra money for all the building supplies. When you have never built a kit before it really does seem scary and highly intimidating.

After seeing threads like this one and another on RCU about the 4*60, I think I can do it. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your build. Hope everything goes great on the maiden!

John
Old 06-02-2006, 12:52 PM

Hey John, why dont you try a Sig Somethin' Extra? I am currently building one [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3992242/tm.htm]here[/link]. It is also my first build and it is extremely easy to build. There are a bunch of build threads around RCU. It goes together really fast and is a good flyer too. Go and read some builds and see if you like it. Oh yeah, its also $10 less at Tower than the 4*.
Karter
Old 06-02-2006, 12:59 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Nice results, Joe! Thanks for taking the time and sharing your build.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:00 PM

ORIGINAL: ghtracey

Hell of a fine job! You sure you're a first time builder? Build looks like an old pro in disguise. I really like the cover job, simple, but has a very classy look to it.

Cheers,
Graham
I have to agree with ghtracey: ARE YOU SURE U R A NEWBIE? That is one beautiful airplane. You did a magnificent job with the building. And the covering job was done professional-looking, no flaws that I can see. Fantastic job, and I really love the color scheme and the graphics are incredible and as ghtracey says "veryyyyyyyyyy classy", it will definitely stand out in a crowd it is so great-looking.

I can not believe you did it all so fast, and perfectly. Please keep us posted on it's maiden. (with photos please)
Old 06-02-2006, 04:36 PM

bruce88123:
It looks great, especially for a 4 day build. The plastic mount should help.
Thanks mate. I'll change the mount tonight and see how she balances

ghtracey:
Hell of a fine job! You sure you're a first time builder? Build looks like an old pro in disguise.
Thank you, thank you! Yes, I am a first time builder, it is my first kit. I am a bir nervous tho... that I built it in such a rush that i'm not sure anymore I did everything right.

ScienceisCool:
I watched this thread from the beginning because I am "afraid of kits" and now I think I am going to consider a kit for my next plane.
This is what the thread was all about

ScienceisCool:
After seeing threads like this one and another on RCU about the 4*60, I think I can do it.
"Don't think you can, know you can" [8D]

Somegeek:
Nice results, Joe! Thanks for taking the time and sharing your build.
Sure man, anytime! (If I ever build a kit again [&:])

tigerdude426:
I have to agree with ghtracey: ARE YOU SURE U R A NEWBIE? That is one beautiful airplane. You did a magnificent job with the building. And the covering job was done professional-looking, no flaws that I can see. Fantastic job, and I really love the color scheme and the graphics are incredible and as ghtracey says "veryyyyyyyyyy classy", it will definitely stand out in a crowd it is so great-looking.

I can not believe you did it all so fast, and perfectly. Please keep us posted on it's maiden. (with photos please)
Well, I rather call myself a newbie with experience than an expert with lack of it, and maybe I was just lucky. But if you allow me to say it, I consider myself a proficient flyer and this is not the first time I work with wood, but it is the first time I work with balsa, which was nice because it is soft and SO easy to work with, and I also learned a little building skills by repairing my planes with the help of my instructor a year and a half ago (when I started flying).

This is my second covering job, my first attemp is located here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_41.../anchor/tm.htm

There you can see some flaws in the covering, but I used that experience to overcome the "hard parts" in covering, like applying multiple layers of Monokote and decals (Windex method) and applying monokote to sheeting without forming bubbles, and the "heat & stretch" method to apply Monokote ofer wingtips, etc.

I did have an extra hand when covering, my girlfriend helped by holding and stretching the monokote so I could have both hands free and tack it to the surface, and she helped me with the graphics design (with a little help of some red wine) and by cutting them while I was covering the wing. So you could say I cheated if this was a race, but its good to have a helping hand when you can, and this was no race after all

This was a 36 hour (approx) build, and my main problem is that I just CAN'T stop working on something until it's done, and working on a building board for 8-10 hours straight a day can do nasty things to your back and shoulders, unless you're chinese and you work at an ARF factory, those guys are amazing [&:].

And last but not least, I have a little present for all you RCU freaks (like me ), here's a photoshoped wallpaper for your computer if you're into aerobatic airplanes. If you need a lower resolution image (this one is 1280x1024px) , or if you want the original one, please let me know.

I'll post news about the maiden tomorrow!

Thanks, Joseph

EDIT: Oh cr*p, RCU will lower the resolution AND quality of uploaded images. PM me and I'll email it to you if you want it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50426.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	470591  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.