Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

tube going to muffler

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

tube going to muffler

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 06:01 PM
clayton_crowder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tube going to muffler

hello guys got a question.i was installing the little fuel nipple with plyers and broke it in the muffler on my alpha 40 trainer.does that line got to be plugged up to muffler?its the line that shoots out all that oil on ur plane if i didnt explain good enough.thanks guys for imputs.dont no what i would do with out yall.my instucter busy driveing 18 wheeler now days and we really never got to close and all.only 1 day training on alpha 60.festen to mainden my arf alpha 40 today.by the way i got a spare brand new 46 eng for the alpha 40.just dont wanna mess with it to much.could change out mufflers for a easy fix but if i dont need to hook up that line than im gone flying.by the way i was doing fine on 2nd arf alpha 60.maybe 50 flights on her.just i got inverted with her and pulled up r i pushed the battery to far on plane with 3 and a half flights with no charge.i no sounds dumb but i was haveing a blast practiseing my landings.boy i miss that bird i never found her.sorry for going off subject i just like to share my flying experence with yall since i fly with only a 5 man club.opps thats another subject.later guys.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:29 PM
Jarod

Default RE: tube going to muffler

the small piece of line that goes from muffler to fuel tank is to pressurize tyhe tank so the nitro fuel will reach the carb, so you pretty much need it connected. (someone correct me if i'm wrong)
Old 05-30-2006, 06:35 PM
Missileman

You are correct, you do need it.
That line is not what squirts oil on your plane, the oil comes from the engine, it is the part of the fuel that does not burn.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:50 PM
clayton_crowder

ok guys i do have the line its just not hooked up to muffler due to broken off fuel nipple.i no this is the line that shoots the leftover fuel from eng threw muffuler then it goes on plane.the question is can i just let it dangle around and let it squrt that leftover fuel out of hose instead out of muffler?will i lose hp,rpm.i mean basically its doing its job just not converting the leftover fuel from eng to muffler then onto ur plane.im skipping the muffler part.hope i put this in rc language im still a newbie learning.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:07 PM
Missileman

You are not understanding what that line really does.
No it does not shoot unburned fuel from your engine, it is not even hooked to your engine,the unburned fuel that gets on your plane is coming right out of the cylinder on your engine and then through your muffler.
The fuel line hooked to your muffler takes pressure from your muufler, when the engine is running, and pressurizes your tank forcing fuel to your carburator.
Without that line your engine will still run, but poorly and will die easily in the air.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:15 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

UM...no,

That line does NOT carry oil through the muffler. That is your pressure line...it uses exhaust pressure to force fuel from the tank to the carb. You need that line hooked-up to the muffler.

The excess oil that comes from the muffler is direclty from the cylinder. You can tap a new nipple, buy a new muffler, or fix the one you have, but you should not fly it this way at all.

I don't think that enine has a crankcase vent line...does it?
Old 05-30-2006, 07:31 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DUBRO makes the nipple you need. I don't know which size you want but I'd guess it's PN 241. You need to get the old part out then just screw the new one in. ( use lock tight ) Go to www.dubro.com and look under engine accessories. This time don't reef on it, it doesn't need to be super tight. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 05-30-2006, 09:25 PM
clayton_crowder

ok guys all of u fixed my problem once again.i totaly misjudeged the job that pressure line did.sorry i was so hard headed bout it.once u think u got these lil engs figured out it slaps u in face.anyway for a quick fix i just removed the muffler from my brand new stand by 46 eng.exacty the same eng.i was really in a hurry by this time its bout 7 30 pm.i didnt even scape the old gasket off to put new gasket for muffler.causeing my small fuel leak i think.well i hope.never could get eng to run without glow starter.but tuned her in pretty good with glow starter pluged to it.saw some fuel right by that muffler gasket that i just changed.ok now 8 15 pm and really dark so i thought this would be a good home project.maybe some air leakege there to.gonna replace muffler gasket tonight and try again tommorow.i do have a brand new eng i could put on her but i really was wanting to use it on a future plane.the eng that is on alpha 40 right now the 46 has been without a home for 2 years now.i recently had it started and half tuned out and she was fine.then after i did the quick fix on muffler she runs very poorly.no big problem i think.i keep yall updated on the maiden flight of the alpha 40 trainer tommorow if all goes well.