Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Radio Frequency interchangeability?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Radio Frequency interchangeability?

Old 06-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio Frequency interchangeability?

Hello, I have a Futaba 6ex radio on ch 41 Dual Conversion. I have 2 planes flying on this radio but would like to get a 3rd. I want to know if I can use my Hitech micro receiver that is on ch 18 by simply putting a hitech ch 41 crystal in it. I know Futaba separates high and low band but I have not seen this distinguishment between Hitech receivers. The Hightech receiver is a dual conversion receiver. Would be nice to know this before buying a crystal I cant use.

Thanks

"Put that camera away before I crash!!"
Old 06-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Missileman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Radio Frequency interchangeability?

I am using several Hitec receivers with my Futaba radio. Standard Hitec is negative shift just like Futaba and some are auto shift or shift selectable. Hitec does not distinguish hi or low band so any channel can be used.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:02 PM
ravenatnm

If you have a Hitec receiver it is OK to change to any air frequency. Hitec receivers are tuned to the center of the spectrum where-as Futaba receivers are tuned for high-center/low-center. I think both manufacturers recommend using their brand crystals when changing frequencies though.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Dr1Driver

Hitec does not separate hi/lo bands. I've used many Hitec RXs with Futaba TXs. While I don't usually recommend such a drastic frequency change without having the RX retuned, it should work.

Dr.1
Old 06-07-2006, 04:03 PM
carrellh

Futaba is the ONLY manufacturer that has high/low band for receivers. Buy the correct Hitec crystal for your Hitec receiver and you're good to go.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow great fast response. Sounds like I wont have to spend as much to get this new bird going. Hope to get a Sig E-Force and start practicing some 3D and have a kick around plane in the back of the car that does not get greasy except on landing.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:03 PM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

Hi all,

I need some advice. I have JR XF421EX Tx bought with combo, it has JR's R700 slimline receiver, as my P51 Mustang PTS crashed, the Rx stopped responding despite I changed the crystals of both Tx and Rx, it still didnt work. My Tx is 72.810 channel 51, first oa all I wanna know what is the meaning of channel 51 is it channel 5 or what. Secondly I bought Hitec's Electron 6 dual conversion Rx and waiting for the Xtal of same 72.810 frequency. As Rx says its compatible with JR, so would it work or not? One more question what is the meaning of Negative or Postive Shift and what is dual conversion? I need your advices in this regard. I hope I haven't asked much

Thanks

Mody
Old 06-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Missileman

Channel 51 means channel 51. Some Hitec receivers will work with JR radios. It will have to be either an auto shift or shift selectable receiver as the standard Hitec receiver is negative shift and JR is positive shift. (if it is shift selectable make sure it is set for positive shift for your JR TX)
Shift is a term for how the radio handles the signal (not to get too technical)
Dual conversion? Your receiver gets a signal from your radio and converts it to a usable signal for your receiver and eliminates erronious information. Dual conversion means it proccesses the signal twice giving it a cleaner signal to transmit to the servos (again not too technical but you get the idea)
If you get a dual conversion receiver make sure you also have a dual conversion crystal for that receiver.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:06 AM
RCFlyer

I need some advice. I have JR XF421EX Tx bought with combo, it has JR's R700 slimline receiver, as my P51 Mustang PTS crashed, the Rx stopped responding despite I changed the crystals of both Tx and Rx, it still didnt work.
Mody, The receiver could have been damaged in the crash.[]
You should send your radio to JR to be checked to see if it needs to be repaired.
They are a good place for radio repair. If you do send the radio in charge the batteries.
Their web site is www.jrradios.com you can find info on how to send the radio to them.

At top of the home page, and below the search window is the link to service. It' real small print.

Hope you get the radio working again, so you can fly again.

Clarence
Old 06-08-2006, 08:26 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

As for your questions about dual conversion et all check out this web site, it explains alot.

http://www.torreypinesgulls.org/Radios.htm
Old 06-10-2006, 06:51 PM
armody

Thanks a lot Missileman, RCflyer and barracudahockey

Well if you all use jargons so im able to understand it so you can use it

I got gift from my wife which is P51 Mustang PTS from Hangar 9, no doubt its a beautiful plane, it flies great, as u all aware it comes with .45 Evo 2C engine and JR XF421 EX 5 channel radio. It also had a cockpit master SIM alongwith DVD which guides you step by step installation. Im a beginner and I have been flying since the start of january, I switched to high wing trainer as a lot of senior flyers told me to fly high wing trainer which is rather cheap and stable. I flew it many times, confidently fly solo and land it, landing has been problem for me, and somehow the wooden mounts broke one day due to hard landing, I got sluggish to repair that plane, so I put all the servos Rx, engine back to my mustang and flew it very well solo, one day I flew it, it took a fast left turn then nose dive, didnt respond and hit the ground so hard and crashed, I got engine fixed as its needle valve broke, but the Rx stopped working, Rx is JR 700 slimline, I changed Tx's and Rx's crystals, it didnt work, it feels like, i need to get new one. Anyway my original question is, as I dont have receiver in order to have practice I fly it on simulator everyday almost, when I hookup my Tx, LCD appears and it starts working, it means that when I hook up my radio to the computer it doesnt need to be turned on I mean power on, and once I charge it, it would easily run for 12 to 14 days, as its not more than 6 months old, now Im going thru a real problem as I dont have receiver and Im flying it on the simulator, the problem is on computer simulator, the Tx's battery is sucking up so quick, it hardly gives me now 2 to 4 days maximum, what I feel as being new radio alongwith its Ni-CD battery of 9.6 volts, it should not drain so quick, and I dont need to buy another one so quickly. As Im in Karachi, Pakistan, and Im coming to america hopefully before the end of this year, Im certainly going to send it to horizon hobby people to completely check it, but in the meantime as I dont have receiver, Im afraid if I would take this radio to the field, it wont give me 4 flights, before that it used to give me easily 7 flights. I would like to have your professional opinion about it, and some kinda solution in this regard, what can be done, and whats the reason of so quick drainage of Tx battery on simulator without being turned on? Tx battery is 9.6 volt, is it also possible that we can put a higher volt battery which would give more flights and make my radio run for more than 8 to 10 flights.

I would appreciate your professional help. Thanks alot

Happy Flying and safe for all

Mody
Old 06-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Missileman

When you are using a sim you have the TX on all the time, when you are flying the real thing you only have it on when you are flying, I think you will find your battery is just fine.
I did change the battery in my TX to a higher capacity (not voltage) battery.
Stock battery was 600 mah Nicad. I am now using a 2100 mah Nimh battery, I can fly several days before I need to recharge (I only fly a few flights a day and can probably go longer without recharging)
Old 06-12-2006, 03:42 PM
armody

Missileman,

Hi, when I use my Tx on SIM, the Tx is off, its turned off, cos the moment I attached it to the computer it automatically turns on, so I dont have to turn it on. U mentioned that you changed the battery to higher capacity not the High Voltage, voltage is ofcourse is 9.6, so I think I cannot increase it to higher, Can I increase it to higher? what I think if i increase it, it would damage my Tx, I think Im right am I? so I need to get the battery pack changed as I gave it to one of my friend's friend, who happens to be electronics engineer, so he is checking it thoroughly, and he is goin to completely recycle it and check it on his charger and on my charger which I gave him, hopefully he would come up with something good, well, in the first place he thought that the battery is no longer good, so he hopefully he is gonna change the battery pack, and I hope its gonna solve my problem, and when I'll come to US, hopefully Im gonna send complete set of my JR servos, Rx, Tx, and all battery packs to horizon hobby people, hopefully they are going to do something as it has 3 years warranty, anyway thanks for your help and comments.

Take care

Happy flying

Mody