Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Does the rain god hate me, or love me?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Does the rain god hate me, or love me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 04:46 PM
striderjg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the rain god hate me, or love me?

Well, I’ve come up against a question today. The question being weather the rain god hates me or loves me. Ok ok, it's either one of those, or I’m to addicted to mind the fact that just cause the rain stopped for a few, the fact that there r multi colored clouds in the sky probably means it’s not for long So anyways, what brings me to question the intentions of the rain god you ask. That is what I am here today to relate to you. I woke up today with every intention of getting out to the field to fly as the wind deity is puffing up his lungs to bring us some wind tomorrow. I am able to leave around 2:30 but a light drizzle has started. Ok, I’ll wait it out and see if it breaks. Around 3:00 it did just that. So I pack up my car, make the prerequisite stop at the coffee shop and start my drive to the field. Little known to me, the rain god had stopped for his prerequisite coffee as well. Alls looking good till I get into Bedford when the drizzle returns. I forge on and as I get on the Middlesex turnpike the drizzle has again left for the moment. Excellent. As I arrive at the field things are still looking good, so I unpack, and haul my stuff out to the flight line, stopping on my way at the upper runway to investigate water gushing up out of a hole in the runway. Interesting… but maybe should have been a clue. So anyways, I get to the pits, stake in my restraints, and start mounting the wing. You guessed it, the drizzle returns. Ok, a bit of drizzle, I can manage. Finish setting up, fueling up, and I’m flying. Take off only being slightly hairy on my new tail dragger setup. Alls good and I shoot some approaches, and think, awe, I’ll just land it. If the engine stays running I’ll go right back up. Ok landing, but sunk in a bit to far into the runway that could have been mistaken for a canal and stopped the engine. Ok no problem. Retrieve the plane, and notice that the rain god looked to be shaking out and reaching for his fly. Unfortunately he was simply stopping to grab a big gulp of mountain dew. Back to the pits, top off the fuel, and back up I go. Good flight, but I notice the clouds coming nearer are looking considerably more menacing so I decide to make it another short flight and bring it in, executing a nice wheelie on my tail wheel for about 10 feet of the runway. Didn’t wanna stop that engine. Taxi it back, shut down and I head back to pits to pack up. Head out to my car, again stopping to investigate the sound of running water next to the upper runway on the pits side. Look through the shrub, and see what looks like a stream running underground through one of the many gopher holes. Yikes! Get back to my car, find the for mentioned screw driver and start unbolting my wing. Now the rain god, freshly refueled really lets go, in a endeavor to get me as wet as possible before I get into my car. He succeeded admirably. So feeling like a wet dog I get back in my car and drive through the torrential downpour, which stops just as a reach the Middlesex turnpike. Perfect. Now, one might wonder why I might consider this as evidence for the adore of the rain god. However, when dealing with entities as far removed from us mere mortals one must be careful. After all, he could have been watching out for the best interest of my plane. Clearly when he started the rain as I was setting up he could have been attempting to gently prod me into going home as bad things where in store. Then when I failed to take the hint he upped the threat, knowing that on my next flight I would do a full power, full speed cartwheel down the runway. Or worse yet, have a radio failure and watch my plane perfectly trimmed out for a straight and level flight, sail away as I futilely bang on the sticks in a attempt to bring it back. Pondering these things I’m left with the uneasy feeling of questioning weather I have a deity looking out for me, or hell bent on ruining my plans and making me wet. Only time will tell.
All sillyness aside I did get in to nice albeit short flights, and left with my plane in same condition it arrived in. Not to bad
-John
Old 06-14-2006, 05:45 PM
Spitfire222

Default RE: Does the rain god hate me, or love me?

He was just teasing you. The rain dieties actually hate ALL model aircraft flyers. Next time, he will downpour on you while you're in flight, ruining both your plane and Transmitter!

For me, I seem to have it bad with the wind god. A week of dead cam, but the instant the weekend comes, its gale force winds. Actually, I think its like that just about everywhere!
Old 06-14-2006, 07:51 PM
striderjg

Lol, nah, I carry protection. THe amazing tx condom (ie plastic bag) Of course the downpour when I was packing up was the only heavy rain yet. Just been drizzly otherwise. Would have been interesting landing int he downpour though:O Especially after the rain in the carb killed the engine Hopefully the wind will work out for us both. Last weekend was a wash. Rain sat, Heavy wind sun. Flew once and that was enough... Phew! This weekend looks like it may turn out windy again and we have first funfly of the season on sunday.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:26 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

What you need is chickens . . . . the weather gods demand sacrifice![>:]

Safe Flying!