Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

No more buddy box for me

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

No more buddy box for me

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 02:13 PM
Missileman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No more buddy box for me

Hope you all don't get too tired of my training stories but I do like to share
My instructor called me this morning to meet him at the field in a couple of hours. I said sure, got up, drank a coffee and loaded up my gear. I noticed as I was getting ready that the trees were blowing around quite a bit. I started having second thoughts but since my instructor doesn't have a cell phone I had no way of calling him.
So I head out to the field. As I am coming up the drive several cars full of old timers are headed the other way. They said the wind was too bad and they were going to another field 20 miles away in hopes the conditions are better.
I continue to the field and wait about 10 minutes until my instructor show up (I figured he would call it off) he says get your plane ready and "oh by the way I don't have the buddy box with me!!!""You will be using your own transmitter today"
Well, after I caught my breath and swallowed an unusually large lump in my throat I got myself setup and ready to go.
Takeoff was strait away from me due to wind direction, which was kind of nice because I was able to see the left wing dip right away and compensate with a little right aileron, I flew a number of circuits fighting the gusting wind to keep the plane out in front of me, Time to land, there is that lump again!!
I came around the far corner of the field, lined up sorta into the wind, lowered the throttle and eased here in (again I had to pump the ailerons to keep her level)
After landing I asked "was that a solo?" with a big grin on my face. He said "no, not really, but kind of"
I flew 3 more flights with the only bad thing a minor prop strike on my second landing (just enough to kill the engine but no more than that)
My instructor told me he was going to tell the old timers that Jim and his Kadet flew in that wind that scared them off "Without a buddy box"
He also told me that he will consider it a solo when he does not have to say a word to me, as far as coaching, while I fly. (I think he is teasing me )
It may have not been a solo but it sure did feel good.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:20 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: No more buddy box for me

Those were solo's in my book.
Way to go.
Now you have a lot more freedom to go out and practice on your own. When you can get away from that flat bottom and go to a semi-symmetrical wing, the wind flying is much easier. A pattern style plane will bore thru the wind and not balloon as soon as you turn up wind.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:21 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Good stuff! [8D]

somegeek
Old 06-16-2006, 02:35 PM
ptmac3

Those were solos dude! Whether you had someone looking over your shoulder or not, it was your hands on the sticks controlling the aircraft from takeoff to landing. Way to go! Fly in the wind enough and you will learn to like it. The wind is your friend.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:42 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Missileman,
As the others say, that sounds like a solo to me. Let's see if we can test this theory out. Do you have that stupid silly grin on your face right now?? Yes?? Then it was a solo. (Don't worry, the smile goes away after a few weeks. oh yeah, it comes back as soon as you maiden the first plane that you build!!!)

A solo flight is a great accomplishment and that wins you one genuine RCU ATTABOY (Suitable for framing, wrapping fish, or lining trashcans).

Great Job

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11360.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	478514  
Old 06-16-2006, 03:09 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty much a solo but I can also understand where your instructor MIGHT be coming from. Until he approves you to solo I would not assume that you can just go out and fly alone whenever you wish. Might violate your club rules.
Sounds like good flights though.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:20 PM
Missileman

Thank you everyone
Yes Ken I do have that grin thing going
Old 06-16-2006, 03:38 PM
striderjg

I think the solo without SOLO makes a lot of sense. That's how they do it in full scale, and how my club does it. They break the cord but u will need a instructor next to you for a bit just till u get some comfert level without being on the cord. My official solo was only a short while after the cord was cut. Good job on ur flights I hate the wind
-John
Old 06-16-2006, 04:33 PM
MikeEast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup, that was a solo!

He probably just wants to make double sure you are ready to go it all alone before he cuts you loose. But if you made 3 complete flights on a significantly windy day then it sounds like you are just about ready to go. Congrats to you!
Old 06-16-2006, 11:15 PM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

Well done, congrats!![sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 06-20-2006, 01:53 PM
Missileman

Thank you all for the early attaboy and pat on the back.
Today it is official, I am an AMA Pilot. And to make it even sweeter I absolutely greased my first landing during my solo, it was almost poetic. My second landing was not so pretty. Cross wind came up and I had such a struggle with keeping my wings level that I didn't flair as much as I could have and came in a bit hot on the nose gear striking the prop slightly, just enough to kill the engine. But it was safely on the ground and ready for another flight.
Yep, I have that silly grin going again
Old 06-20-2006, 02:06 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, you know it's official when there is nobody next to you that can hear your knees knowing. It's awful lonely out there sometimes, trust me on that.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:19 PM
gilbertfh
My Feedback: (5)

I love it when it is windy but I hate it when it is gusty. Good job on the solo. I personally suggest getting a simulator to practice on it takes a lot of the nerves out of it. I personally never had a trainer and was able to fly and land successfully with only slight shakes. I owe it all to Realflight G2. Of course that doesn't keep a person from being stupid (like when I forgot to hook up the ailerons). I learned the hard way to do a preflight. Good luck on your flying career and remember there are two types of planes those that have crashed and those that will.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:58 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Good job!!! Just remember, the plane doesn't know it is windy!