Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Best Plane for a Beginner, that will stay fun

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Best Plane for a Beginner, that will stay fun

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 03:57 PM
Rustang351c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Plane for a Beginner, that will stay fun

Hi. I'm a new member trying to gather info on my first plane.

I'm considering the Wingo Park FLyer, it is electric, a slow flyer, a pusher (less damage to motor?) ...it just doesn't look very cool!!! lol

Are there other options similar in performance?

What are Pro's n Con's of gas vs. electric?

What's a good beginner plane?, that will continue to be fun / hold my attention after I've gotten good?

Thanks Russ
Athens GA
Old 12-27-2002, 04:16 PM
axeman

I've just gotten my first plane. I bought a Hobbico Superstar 40 ARF. I'm assembling it now, it's easy to put together so far and I'm over half way done in just 6 hours. From everything I've been told the major drawback to electric is performance wise. Doesn't fly as long as the glow fuel engines.

If I were you the first thing I'd find is a club and go check out there airfield and see what the members say. They're normally happy to help a newbie like us and willing to give you some good advice on where to start and what to buy.
Old 12-27-2002, 04:17 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Hey Rustang,

Welcome to RCU!

I am partial to glow powered RC flight, so I would lean tward a Hangar 9 Solo Sport with a basic 4 channel radio and an OS 40 LA for power. But many people have started with park flyers.

You will find tons of info right here on RCU, but the best thing you can do is find a club (go to the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) site and they have a club locator by State) and find someone to help you fly whatever you get. 99% of RC flying club people are super friendly and will help you in all your projects. Again, welcome to the hobby and RCU - it's a blast!
Old 12-27-2002, 04:28 PM
Denjones

Default Newbie

You'll find that if you are going with a glo engine a 46FX or equivalent should be your minimum. With an engine that size you can use it in another plane later. You can always dial down the throttle.

I started with a Hobbico Avistar and it was fantastic. It flew great and since it had a semi-symetrical wing it was able to do some aerobatics. It went together well and was very durable while I was learning to fly.

What ever you decide, good luck and do some research here, asking and reading everything you can find.

If you are looking for a transmitter, look to your local club. If everyone has Futaba, you don't want JR or Airtronics and vice/versa.

Just my $.02

Denny
Old 12-27-2002, 04:50 PM
dbow
My Feedback: (1)

Default First plane

Where you go in this hobby really depends on what you like, I am totally a Nitro flyer, I just dont find the same appeal with the electric stuff. I do however find interest in the park flyers based on the fact that I could run a minute down the street and get some stick time in.
It really depends on what you like, I dont think Nitro is any easier or harder than electric in terms of expense or knowledge.
Why not do both?

I would suggest that you visit your local club and do some talking with people already in the hobby. Watch some electric planes fly and some Nitro. I think you would be more intriqued by the nitro but thats not always the case. Nitro and actual gasoline seems to prevail at my field.

As for the plane I started with a Hobbico Superstar $99, O.S .46FX (2 stoke Nitro) $109 and a Futaba 6XAS radio around $200 or so .
Other trainers that I would suggest would be the SIG LT40 and the Hobbico Avistar. You cant go wrong with any of these planes and a instructor. THe O.S .46FX that I mentioned will bolt right on to any of these planes and will last you for quite some time.

Overall the best thing that you can do is visit the local field and talk to some people.
Im not sure but Hilltop flyers might not be that far from you depending on how far you are willing to drive. You might be able to find something right at you back door.

Goodluck

Dbow
Old 12-27-2002, 06:02 PM
av8er50
My Feedback: (6)

Default glo vs. Electric

I have been in this hobby for about 1 1/2 to 2 years. I started with an electric "park Flyer" and wanted more than it could with in a month if not less.
I agree with the rest of the posts, contact a local club. I did and everyone was helpful and friendly. As far as what glow plane to get... get something with a 4 channel radio, ailerons (cause some cheaper planes don't have them) other than that you could read on here all day and everyone has good opinions about every trainer out there. I personally got a Thunder Tiger 60 trainer cause I liked the way it looked, it was about 350 for everything but the fuel. It flies great, comes as a arf very easy to put together.
My point is if you are REALLY interested in RC flying then get a glow powered plane (trainer) first then if later you want to get a park flyer to fly near home then do so. You'll be much farther ahead if you start with glow...

Jeff
Old 12-27-2002, 07:18 PM
Live Wire

You came to the right place RCU .
If you do not find your answers hear you are not looking hard enough. Make sure that R.C. planes is your interest check where you are going to fly . Rules and restriction in the area, and local clubs. Do not buy something you personly do not like. 40 size trainers are popular . Good park flyiers do not come with radio, batteries, chargers, or support equipment. Gas trainers air the same.
ENJOY THE SPORT
Old 12-27-2002, 11:27 PM
rc_crasher
My Feedback: (2)

Default Echo!

Learn from my mistake ... and GO TO THE CLUB FIRST! You will get loads of advice and you may even be able to buy a complete used setup for half of new price. I went to the hobby shop first, and bought the wrong plane.

As far as gas vs. electric, my opinion is that if you can do glow (and have a club/instructor), go for it. I do both, and electric does have its advantages ... cleaner, less hassle. When learning, though, glow is hard to beat. long flight times, and it allows you learn on a bigger plane for less $$ than most large electric planes.

Whatever you do ... prepare to get very very addicted.
Old 12-28-2002, 02:04 AM
kingman5294

Hi, welcome to the wonder sport of R/C airplanes. Like you, I am a newbie also. I purchased the Hangar 9 Solo Sport from my local hobby store. Try not to go cheap when you buy things for it, because you usually get what you pay for. I got an OS 46FX engine and a JR 421ex 5 channel radio system. Yes, it is expensive at first, but it's worth it after you learn to fly. What I did was buy the ARF first, and then build it. After I completed it, I bought the radio and then installed it and all of the linkages. After that, I then got the engine and put it in. I have yet to fly my plane. Well, good luck!
Old 12-28-2002, 03:46 AM
raderrustler

Well this is my first post on this site and it seems to be a very good one from all the reading that I have been doing. I do not have a local club out here in the desert and I started with a electric firebird xl, and after two weeks needed something bigger faster and more maneuverable. I purchased a Alpha by Hangar 9 and found it to be very user friendly. I would suggest it to any one just starting, slow, easy starting and very controllable. hope it helps
Randy
Old 12-28-2002, 03:53 AM
Ghostbear

Default You may be asking too much

"Continue to be fun" will be based on how much you fly. You just aren't going to be able to get one plane and fly it forever. Once you read around the boards a while you'll see posts talking about third, fourth, and fifth planes.

I've heard good things about the Wingo, you may want to jot over to this site and ask the same question.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forum...?s=&forumid=11

Have fun...
Old 12-28-2002, 03:58 AM
lookinup

Rustang, If you have someone to help you learn to fly I would definitely start off with nitro. I tried some electric guys after I could fly nitro fairly well and crashed them all (4 or 5) If I would have started this way I would have become disgusted and quit before I realized the joy of nitro powered R/C flight. I learned on a hobbico superstar but I would recommend the Hobbico Avistar because it is more areobatic and after you learn the basics the Avistar will keep you busy learning loops rolls and inverted flight. If you do not have any clubs in the area that will help you learn to fly I would not recommend trying to teach yourself to fly with a nitro plane. I tried to teach myself and destroyed two superstars. After I nosedived both of those in the ground I went to the local club on trainer night and after a few turns on the buddy box I was on my own. This is a great hobby, you'll love it.