Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 New RCer; good training planes? >

New RCer; good training planes?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New RCer; good training planes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New RCer; good training planes?

Hi all:

I'm new -- very new. I've never flown RC planes before; in fact, I don't even have one yet. I've read through these forums and most suggest joining a club and learning from an instructor, or at the very least, obtain simulation software to assist in the learning process. That all makes sense.

I'm looking for a good trainer, and I have a Hobby Town store relatively nearby that I'll probably drop by over the weekend to view their selection. There are many training choices out there, so what should I be focusing on? What are the major differences?

Thanks.

-- Steve
Old 06-29-2006, 06:19 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New RCer; good training planes?

Go and meet the people at the club you want to join first...someone is bound to have a trainer, and probably a 4 ch radio they are ready to part with....that said, get a .46 size engine for your .40 plane....Rog
Old 06-29-2006, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, I`d go so far as to say that if you want to seriously try this addict... er, hobby, it`s about 99% imperative that you locate a club, contact them ( attend a meeting if possible), and arrange for the free training that practically all offer. If you do this and have a little patience, you WILL be successful. As for trainers, there are lots of good ones. If you want to get in the air quickly, there are several RTF`s ( ready to fly ) that will get you there. They come with engines installed, radio, etc. If you want to " custom", you can buy an ARF and supply a separate engine, radio, etc. Sig LT-40, PT-40, Goldberg Eagle, Avistar, Superstar are all excellent. If I had it all to do over, I`d probably go with a larger trainer ( ex. Hobbistar 60 ) though I learned on an Avistar and still fly it. Bigger airplanes, in general, fly better IMHO.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:35 PM

Here´s a list of ÿour instructers,
http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/locatorsearch.cfm

Buy a simulator and practice it over a month during the things that your instructer is teaching you.
http://www.realflight.com/

Here´s a list of airplanes for begginers.
http://www.*********.org/gws_slow-stick.htm
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/towa21_n.htm
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/towa1110.html
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/towa0100.html
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/towa2048.htm

Also check this wesite,
www.hobby-lobby.com

Steve
Old 06-29-2006, 06:36 PM

I have to agree with Tideflyer, Bigger does fly better, handles wind easier and is easier to see in the air.
I have heard of people flying Senior Telemasters with the HUGE 95" wingspan
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/srtele.htm
I learned with a Sig Kadet Senior. Kit has 78" wing and ARF has a 80" wing, Great flying airplanes.(Note: kit is 3 channel but can be modified for 4 channel. ARF is 4 channel)
http://www.hobbyhorse.com/sig_kadetsenior.shtml
Old 06-29-2006, 06:50 PM

Steve. Join a club and make use of the instructors that are there. Safety is paramount, not only yours, but to everyone else. Having said that as far as trainer airplanes go, pretty well anything .40 size, high, flat bottom wing with ailerons will do. If it's advertised as a trainer you will be o.k. Good luck, this is a tremendous hobby to be involved in, you'll make lots of friends and have a great time.
Cheers, Dave.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:19 PM

Thanks very much for your replies. Yes, joining a club is certainly something that I'll need to do. Once I do, I'll pick their brains. But for now, I want to pick your's. Thanks for the links, acelemist22.

Does anyone here fly RC jets?
Old 06-29-2006, 08:31 PM

Some of you mentioned that larger winged aircraft are generally easier to control and may suit a beginner better than a smaller trainer. I certainly agree that a big wing span would be easier to control. I've seen a glider model that actually has an propellor at the front of it. Would that be worth it?
Old 06-29-2006, 08:36 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a jet forum on RCU if no one in the beginners forum has jets.

All the suggestions you have gotten here are good.

An alternative to Real Flight Simulator is Aerofly Pro Deluxe. In my opinion its a lot more realistic simulator, especially as you progress to more advanced flight skills. You can get it at www.aeroflypro.com. To me real flight is ok and does a pretty good job, but the physics engine although good, just does not have the realistic feel that AFPD has. There is another good sim out there called Reflex XTR, I think. I have read that a lot of the guys are liking it too.

I agree that big planes fly better, I better agree since I dont have anything smaller than a 2 meter pattern plane anymore. BUT, you dont have to get any bigger than a 40 sized trainer to start with. If I were going to suggest an upgrade from the beginning to enhance your experience in the long run, it would be to go with a .52 Four Stroke engine instead of a .46 2 stroke. If you want to stick with a 2 stroke, which is fine, I think that the OS .46 AX is the best one on the market. A very nice little engine that runs like a sewing machine and has a lot of power. The other engines that will be suggested are fine too, but if you want the most bang for your buck, I would consider the .52 first or the AX.

All of that being said, be patient, find a club and get hooked up with an instructor. That is a sure fire way to succeed at the hobby without expensive and discouraging failures in the beginning.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:21 PM

Thanks MikeEast -- very much appreciated. I'll certainly check out AeroFly Pro. Has anyone ever used Great Planes RealFlight G3 R/C Flight Simulator?
Old 06-29-2006, 11:50 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, its ok. It really is a good simulator and you can learn to fly on it, and have a lot of fun learning with it. But in my humble opinion it just does not match the realism of AFPD's physics engine.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:28 AM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just got the G-3 a few weeks ago and it definitely has improved my game for sure , just spending some stick time to see how the sticks make the plane move and see how easy it is to crash , the reset button is your friend , after using the simulator you will have a definite advantage over going out cold turkey just having a simulated radio in your hands.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:14 AM

Want an advice? Close your browser, and forget rc planes, you have your chance to run from the hobby now... Once you're in, there is no return, you will get adicted, and there is nothing that you can do