Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Batteries >

Batteries

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Batteries

I have an old futaba attack 4 system that I'm planning on using in my next plane. The problem is the RX and TX battery are dead and won't hold a charge. So i've decided that I will just get 13 of these batteries, [link]http://www.greathobbies.com/products/productinfo.php?prod_id=SAN070N[/link] the question is if I take five of these and solder them together will that give me a 6 volt 700 maH battery or a 6 volt 3500 maH battery.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:59 PM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Batteries

You'll get 6v 700 MaH out of the 5 cells. But I would make one comment if you don't mind. Get batteries with solder tabs on them. Batteries like you show that don't have solder tabs can be difficult to solder too. If you get the end of the battery too hot the seals in the batteries will melt and the battery is ruined. The problem is that those seals don't take too much heat before they melt. And a battery without a solder tab does take a fair amount of heat to get a good solder joint. But with a solder tab you can make a good solder joint without getting any heat on the seals.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 06-29-2006, 09:16 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is not a particularly good price. I suggest you buy pre-made battery packs form, for example, www.radicalrc.com They will cost you the same or less after shipping than the loose batteries.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:36 PM
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Mr. Canadian

I have an old futaba attack 4 system that I'm planning on using in my next plane. The problem is the RX and TX battery are dead and won't hold a charge. So i've decided that I will just get 13 of these batteries, [link]http://www.greathobbies.com/products/productinfo.php?prod_id=SAN070N[/link] the question is if I take five of these and solder them together will that give me a 6 volt 700 maH battery or a 6 volt 3500 maH battery.
How old is the radio? Is it narrow band? The last time I looked, the rules on narrow banding in Canada were similar to the US. If it is narrow banded, have you sent it in for service recently? My reason for asking is when I got back in the hobby I had 4 of the old Futaba attack radios. None of them were narrow banded, making them illegal, and most of the batteries were suspect. By the time I figured out the cost of sending them in for narrow banding, checking out the receivers, and replacing the batteries, I determined I was much better off just buying something new. Food for thought...
Old 06-29-2006, 11:30 PM

ORIGINAL: RCKen
But I would make one comment if you don't mind. Get batteries with solder tabs on them.
I was going to show the version with the tabs but, it didn't have a picture of it.
How old is the radio? Is it narrow band? The last time I looked, the rules on narrow banding in Canada were similar to the US. If it is narrow banded, have you sent it in for service recently? As far as I know about the radio is that it's an AM not FM and that it has a gold sticker on the back R/CMA AMA rf check with date 09/92.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:31 PM

ORIGINAL: RCKen
But I would make one comment if you don't mind. Get batteries with solder tabs on them.
I was going to show the version with the tabs but, it didn't have a picture of it.
How old is the radio? Is it narrow band? The last time I looked, the rules on narrow banding in Canada were similar to the US. If it is narrow banded, have you sent it in for service recently?
As far as I know about the radio is that it's an AM not FM and that it has a gold sticker on the back R/CMA AMA rf check with date 09/92.