Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Engine Acting Up li

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Engine Acting Up li

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 03:51 PM
wingnutEOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Acting Up li

Hey All,

I just got home from Iraq to a big ol' box from my hobby shop sitting in my living room. Pulled out the plane (RTF Trainerdealie), charged all of the batteries, made all of the connections/adjustments, set up my very sparce "flight box", got outside and just wanted to run up my engine. The idea was to get a feel for the sound, strength, starting procedures, and just get a feel for working with the plane.

The experience taught me a few things, and raised one big question. I now know how to start my engine, but it doesn't stay on. It'll turn over and idle for a lil while on a low power setting but 15 - 30sec after starting it will cut out. I muddled about with the power/trim settings on the Tx as well as the linkages to make sure it was perfect (As per the instruction manual ... again ... it was right the first time but it never hurts to go over things again.)

Does anyone have any ideas on the cause of this unreliable performance ... or better yet, knowledge on a solution?

Truly,
Rob
Old 07-09-2006, 04:00 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engine Acting Up li

What engine is it..a brand new engine isnt gonna be happy idleing for very long any way,,its best to go ahead and run it up to peak, then back off a few clicks so it runs a little bit rich,,well on most engines anyway...norvel engine cylinders need to soak in oil for 24 hours before breakin procedures are done....Rog
Old 07-09-2006, 04:13 PM
Mr67Stang

Well it would be better if we knew exactly what you are working with. As an RTF there are several possibilities but if you bought the new and cool stuff; you probably have a Hobbico Nexstar or a Hangar 9 PTS. So open the manual and look for break in proceedures for the engine. typical .46 glow engine will start up safely with the needle valve opened 2.5 turns. (carefully close the needle valve until it stops turning but do not force/torque it then open it up 2.5 turns/rotations.) Set your carb to be open about 1/3 or slightly less of its overall bore size. Start the motor and with slow adjustments move the throttle to a high idle position where it is not struggling to run. Then I like to open the valve another half turn and let it burn. I will run 2 tanks of fuel like this at the house before I ever take it out to fly or try to tune it at all. After this you will need to lean out the motor. Again for a .46 size you will be able to run this motor about 1.5-2.0 turns out. I can't tell you exactly where to put it as I don't know where mine are at. I tune by ear, sight and feel. Good throttle response/ smoke as you pour on the throttle/ no crackling sound at idle like you will hear in break in procedure described above. If you go to lean you WILL eventually burn up you motor. Now find a club and get some face to face help. Welcome home.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:34 PM
wingnutEOD

Ahh, I have to appologize for not giving specifics.

but if you bought the new and cool stuff
.... LOL, I'm in the army mate. Money is not in abundance . I got a tower hobby trainer 40 that has the tower hobbies .46 BB ABC.

It's a little late now to be playing around with it out back at the moment so i'll have to wait til later tomorrow to write an update.

But I wanted to take this time to thank you guys for your time and input .

Cheers
Old 07-10-2006, 12:42 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

I have this plane & engine combo. It is a good Trainer for the money & once properly broken in & tuned that motor is a work horse! Unfortunately it seems to be a crap-shoot from numerous threads I have read about these Tower engines. Personally I think it is a case of pilot error when it comes to break-in & tuning procedures. When mine was brand new I took it to the field where I got an expeienced flier & engine tuner to help me dial it in. Within 3 minutes he had it idleing nice & smooth with good transition to the top end. No hesitation at all. Just good raw power. The only thing I have done to it tuning wise since was to lean out the bottom end just an 1/8 of a turn. It runs as strong today as it ever has & idles very nicely. I have noticed though that allmost all of my 2-cycle glow engines do not like to idle for too long before they will load up & die. You need to start them up & clear it's throat a bit. Then go back down to an idle after you've warmed it up a bit. Go ahead & break it in per your instruction book & it should come good for you in no time. The others have already told you about running it rich to break it in. After you get some run time on it you might want to seek a little tuning help at the club from one of the more experienced guys to get the low end set right. You will find a number of people that will bad mouth this engine, but don't buy in to it. It is a very good engine that out powers all my OS engines of the same size. You just need to get it broke in & tuned right. Good luck, you're going to have a ball with that airplane, providing you do it the right way. AMA, Club Instructor!! You'll be airborne in no time.

P.S. Thanks for your service in Iraq. I appreciate what you're doing for us!!![sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 07-10-2006, 10:35 AM
bruce88123

First I'd like to join Mark in thanking you for your service to our country. [sm=thumbup.gif]

Your engine is new and should not be expected to idle at it's lowest speeds yet, not until a few tanks have been run through it and maybe more. But you should be able to get a reliable idle low enought to get the job done. Your idle is probably too rich, many mfg set them that way to prevent accidental lean burns when new. An experienced tuner can help you get this straighened out. Since you have a trainer I'm assuming you are new to all of this and STRONGLY suggest that you get involved with a local club and an instructor there before going much/any further. It will save you time and money in the long run and instruction is free at 99% of the clubs in the US. Welcome home and to RC flying and RCU. Have a great time.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

If you get a good one, the Tower engines are great.

They are prone to airleaks in the following places which is easily taken care of (well, 2 out of 3 anyway).

1. The carb o-ring. Remove the carb and put some silicone on the o-ring. Put the carb back in and hold FIRMLY down while tightening the lock on it.

2. The backplate. Again, remove the backplate and use some silicone between the engine case and the gasket AND between the gasket and the backplate.

3. Front seal. Nothing you can do about this one except send it back for a replacement engine. Typical front seal air leak symptoms - after you have sealed the carb and backplate the engine does not shut off with the transmitter OR takes 30 - 45 seconds to shut down after you have shut it down with the transmitter. The barrel in the carb should be adjusted so that the barrel is fully closed when the throttle stick AND the trim are all the way down.

Break in the engines per the instructions and be sure to get an instructor. Without an instructor your plane is probably going to have a life span of about 30 - 45 seconds.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:42 PM
wingnutEOD

First I have to thank you guys for a couple of things ... first being your own thanks of my "service" (i say "service" because really .. my job is to play with fun stuff for the army ... google up EOD ~Explosive Ordnance Disposal~ and you'll find our how easy i have it in the "service" ).... that gratitude is VERY appreciated by our military .... secondly I have to thank you for all of your replies.

I've been taking notes and paying attention to what you guys have to say.

I took it out to the field again today and had a LOT more success. The engine ran MUCH more consistantly (didn't shut off of its own accord). I ran a tank and a half through it and worked on the mixture as per the instructions. Tomorrow I'll be working on the Idle.

I know that joining/visiting the local club is important ... but given my situation (can you guys imagine how the Mrs. of 1 year would feel if i told her i was trotting off to the club and leaving her with the 6 month old baby not 2 weeks after i've gotten back from the desert???? ..... she'd be very displeased and I'm skinny enough as it is .. i don't need to be angering her and thus missing meals you know? ).

Really ... I have a very good/safe field 3/4 of a mile down the street from my house .... more hand-eye coordination/tactile skill than the average guy and confidence out the wahzoo. Also I FULLY understand that i AM going to crash this and every other plane ... and am almost ..........................almost......... looking forward to the challenge of putting it back together . (i think of it as a good fory into RC aircraft building :-D).

Anyways, thanks for your time folks and i'll keep you posted.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:13 PM
muzzlemaggot
My Feedback: (7)

EOD, huh? This is off the subject, but I'm an Army cannon cocker and have to say that both the USA and the USMC EOD are the best in the business and you guys saved my ass more than once over there with your rapid response and professionalism throughout my many combat patrols throughout Ar Ramadi. Just wanted to say thanks and PLEASE keep it up, as I'm headed back in a few months with 1st Inf Div.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:30 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: muzzlemaggot

.... but I'm an Army cannon cocker ......
When did you come through Lawton learning to pull a lanyard???? (BTW, I'm a former gun bunny myself)

Ken
Old 07-12-2006, 10:38 PM
muzzlemaggot

Ken...

Last time in Lawton was this last March attending the newly established FA Master Gunner School at the NCO Academy. Currently serving as a 1SG here at Riley, but "Smoke" all the way. Unfortunately, most of these new kids don't know what "lanyard grease" is all about. LOL.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:39 PM
muzzlemaggot

Oh, BTW, started off in early '86.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:38 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: muzzlemaggot

Oh, BTW, started off in early '86.
Wow!!! I went through Basic here at Sill in the summer of '86. I got out in '96 on a medical discharge.

Unfortunately, most of these new kids don't know what "lanyard grease" is all about.
Yep, I know exactly what you are talking about. I still remember when I was a brand new private and my chief send me searching the gun line for a bag of muzzle blast!!!!!

And don't forget the grid squares!!!!

Ken
Old 07-13-2006, 07:18 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

Muzzle blast, & grid squares?? What no left-handed crescent wrenches & sky-hooks? US Army Combat Engineers 1976. Wow that sounds like a lifetime ago. LOl. I guess for some of you guys it was a lifetime ago.[8D]

Muzzlemaggot, Thanks for your recent & current contributions are in order too, so thanks "Top", I appreciate ya!!
Old 07-13-2006, 07:18 AM
bruce88123

Grid squares? Isn't that where you keep your McGriddles now Ken?
Old 07-13-2006, 10:30 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Will you guys knock it off? You're bringing back memories of me(a new airman/E3 fresh from A school) being sent all over NAS Whidbey looking for RAT Brake Fluid[:@] For those not in the know, a RAT is a Ram Air Turbine generator, in this case used to power electronic gear on the EA6-B Prowler(the loudest bird in the fleet) BTW, this was back in Feb 1983. OMG, does this mean I'm older than RCKen?[X(]
Old 07-13-2006, 10:37 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

..... OMG, does this mean I'm older than RCKen?[X(]

Hmm, not sure how to take that!!! For the record, I'm 41 years old. I graduated high school in '82.

Ken
Old 07-13-2006, 10:37 AM
bruce88123

How about fetching me about 100 yards of flight line or a bucket of prop wash?
Old 07-13-2006, 10:51 AM
Hydro Junkie

How depressing, I AM older than Ken, but only a couple of years
Bruce, how could you forget the padeye wrench? And sorry, but I'm out of prop wash and flightline, so you will have to get those next time you go to the field

Almost forgot, Bruce, is NAS/NATTC Millington still open? I was there July-Dec 1982
Old 07-13-2006, 11:37 AM
bruce88123

I think they're just pushing papers there now. You know, support stuff. I work with a couple of guys who used to be instructors out there. I just asked one of them. He said that they mostly just process personell paperwork out there.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:42 AM
bruce88123

BTW - I'm older than both of you. No details but I graduated college in 71 and didn't do military service. That's one reason I DO appreciate those of you who did take up my slack. My brother did go to Korea in @ 68 instead of Nam so he lucked out there.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:54 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

....... No details but I graduated college in 71 ........

Dang, you're old!!!! [X(]

Ken
Old 07-13-2006, 12:03 PM
bruce88123

I knew you'd take that shot at me. Alls fair and tomorrow IS Friday.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:49 PM
Hydro Junkie

Look at the bright side Bruce, you haven't hit triple digits yet
Old 07-13-2006, 04:09 PM
muzzlemaggot

Ken,

What a coincidence...I went through basic in Jun/Jul of '86 with D Battery, 1st Cannoneer Tng Battalion. Before, when I said early '86, that was my initial term with the Colorado Guard. I'm still looking for the keys to the impact area my Smoke sent me in search of back in '88. Haven't found them yet, dangit. Well, I better get off here; it's getting about time to hold formation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.