Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

proper way of using a spray gun?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

proper way of using a spray gun?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 10:04 PM
JsJet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default proper way of using a spray gun?

Can anyone tell me the proper way of using a spray gun? Also list the website that have books or informations about the subject.

Thanx

Steve

10% luck, 20% skillz, 15% of concetrate power of will, 5% pleasure, 15% pain, and 100% to remember the name.............
Old 07-18-2006, 10:07 PM
JsJet

Default RE: proper way of using a spray gun?

ill post my sray gun also...................one day!
Old 07-18-2006, 10:34 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

after you learn how to adjust the rest is learned through trial and error.and the equipment has a lot to do with it.a good regulator compressor and air filtration system.and if you talking about an airbrush?those are a lot like drawing if you have the natural ability that is even more better.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:11 PM
skymortar

i paint cars for a living.there is no way i could tell you how to spray online.dont despair.i can tell you that spraying is the easy part.as with every thing in life preparation is king.make sure your surface is prep'd properly,cleaned properly,now go practice.just get a rhythm working.OK.when you pull the trigger of the gun you will have what we call the fan.the fan is the complete coverage you get in one pass.the next pass should put the center of your fan directly over the bottom of your previous fan.50%overlap.just practice.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:40 PM
Brandon Petersen

Just like "Skymortar" stated, it is a lot of feel and practice. I use a Cambell Hausfield HVLP gun. Just the type the buy at HD or Lowes. I practiced with my gun on a cardboard box and Lqr thinner or rubbing alcohol. It shows the spray pattern but no mess to clean up and it cleans the gun for you! Depends on the kind of paint you are spraying too. I use striclty auto base coat/ clear coat. I spray full fan pattern at about 35-40 psi on the regulator. When spraying base coat, never try to get a shiny wet look. Only go for a good coverage and color clarity. Paint is expensive, but practice with different reductions. Thinner is easier to run, but also goes on much smoother when it is just right. A good paint store will usaully reduce the paint for you to the optimum rate. Two part Catalyst clear and primers are very good and are very durable, but deadly to spray without protection. You get it in your lungs...then it sets like epoxy and can essentially suffocate you. So invest in good protection. Blue 3M vinyl tape works the best for masking, as it leaves a very clean line and will contour easily.

Those are some basics...good luck and have fun!
Brandon