Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Beginner questions >

Beginner questions

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Beginner questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner questions

Hi,

My name is James, Im 20 and from London, England. After a bit of a christmas money windfall, I thought that now was the time to take up my dream of doing some sort of RC flying.

Ive always wanted an aeroplane, nearby we have a local club - and I would sit for hours watching the aeroplanes buzz about, whilst I contently launched my model rockets. That was a few years ago, I outgrew the rocketry quite quickly, and now I have the money to get in to RC.

I was thinking about a Heli recently, but my budget, and probably therefore patience doesnt stretch that far at the moment.

So rather than spend twice as much on a Heli, I thought perhaps getting a plane was more of an expandable hobby, for now at least. Considering I can get a trainer and then later on a more advanced plane for the price of one Heli.

Im pretty versed at making things - model cars, rockets, aeroplanes (airfix and balsa gliders etc etc) and my "real world" mechanical knowledge is being honed on my Triumph Spitfire.

I've been playing with FMS for about a week now using a dual analog controller (like a Playstation, so its sort of like using an RC controller), and have got the hang of flying the aeroplanes quite well - and the helis too - the biggest problem seems to arise when landing and you cant see the ground. I've played with aeroplane and helicopter flight simulators since I can remember - so my physics are all there for the real thing - I know what the controls *should* do anyway

There seems to be a wealth of possibilities for a trainer, and before I go and seek out my local club, here seems to be the best place to ask dumb-ass questions.

1) Whats the best trainer? I was thinking that perhaps the larger .60 planes would be better - as this engine could then go in to a more advanced plane later on. And, if Im right, bigger planes are theoretically easier to fly - although a bit more daunting.

Are there any trainers that might be a bit more advanced? Without sounding like a complete idiot... Anyone bought something a bit more than they can chew? I've got on well with FMS so far....

Im well aware of the phrase "run before I can walk" - but eventually I wouldnt mind getting some sort of Extra or Pitts bi-plane type of affair later on. (Flight Unlimited 1 anyone??? ) Im the type of person who, if they had enough money, would buy one of these first, crash it, and then buy a trainer....

This one might be tricky as Im in the UK - however it seems to me that importing one in from the US is going to be alot cheaper (I have contacts and people that can bring stuff back for me) - although I might loose a bit technical support - the saving seems to be huge!

2) The radio; these are so much cheaper in the US I may as well get a good one for the same cost as over here. What advantage are the computerised ones? Is it a wise move to get one that can do Helicopters too, for futureproofing?

I think thats a long enough post for now

Many thanks,

James
Old 01-02-2003, 12:50 AM

We prefer to train with the Avistar, it makes a good 1st and 2nd plane.
It would, however, be a good idea to go ahead and introduce yourself at the local field and get a feel for what they typically like to train with.
as far as radios, A JR 662 computer radio would imo be a good radio to start out with. It has 6 model memory, planes or helis as well as all the programing and mixing youd need.
Again though, Id recommend discussing this at the local field also, because you need a radio which is compatable with their buddy system and the polarity is reversed on the JR equipment.
Good luck
Old 01-02-2003, 01:16 AM
My Feedback: (5)

I agree that the Avistar is an excellent first plane (it was my first) And yes, it'll do some nice aerobatics when you're ready. As for Radio, I'd go to the local field and see if anyone would want to get rid of some used equipment. Usually, you can get a much nicer controller for less money. FMS is a good place to start, it teaches orientation and a little of how a plane will react. As to landing and taking off, I think it does a poor job. Good luck!
Old 01-02-2003, 01:40 AM

I agree with the general opinions about the Avistar. It's a nice plane. However, keep in mind that there is the consideration to crashing it. With RC, the question is not IF you'll crash, but WHEN.

If you are looking for something that is much more durable than the conventional balsa plane and you can follow some simple instructions, I would suggest taking a look at the Deb (Debonair). It's a 60 sized trainer made from coroplast (correx in your part of the world I think) and is an excellent trainer. You can find plans for it at http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/Debonair/

New pilots are very rough on planes and balsa does not hold up well to the abuse (ask me how I know that ). The Deb will serve you well and will hold up to just about anything you can put her through. Should you need to make repairs, chances are you can make them at the field with packing tape and/or zip ties.

With the Avistar ARF costing between $90USD - $100USD just for the plane, the Deb's cost for materials can be less than $20USD.

I own 2 Avistar's and use to fly the crap out of them. I now build and fly corplast exclusively and have retired both of the Avistar's before they decided to retire themselves. In my opinion, for the money, you just can't beat the corplast (correx) or the Deb.

Just MHO,
Old 01-02-2003, 06:46 AM

James - I wouldn't recommend importing a radio from the US. North America uses different frequencies (72Mhz) then England (35Mhz). If you do import a radio from the US, make sure to order it in the 35Mhz range.

Use of computerized radios are subject to allot of opinions... Which one is best, what features are most beneficial, etc... For the sake of future projects, computer radios are handy since they typically allow you to use the same transmitter for several planes (model memory), and therefore you only need a flight pack for each plane. Also, they make certain configurations easier, or even possible (dual aileron servos, flaperons, channel mixing, etc...) If you are certain you will stay with the hobby awhile, it would be beneficial to get a computer radio with at least 7 channels. I'll leave the discussion of which one is best to the "experts" with more experience (and fatter wallets) than me.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:34 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Be advised that if you want to move into helis eventually, the JR and Futaba 6-channel radios only offer 3-point pitch/throttle curves. That probably doesn't mean a whole lot to you at the moment, but it's fairly restricting unless you just want to fly circuits. Really tossing a heli around the sky requires a 5-point curve. The Airtronics (Sanwa over there) RD6000 offers that.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:29 AM

Default Hi M8

James, I am new to RC as well. Been wanting a plane for a while now and that guy in the red suit got me one. A Rip-max Nova 40 with a OS 46LA engine - Sanwa VG600 6 channel radio.
I have only just finished building the plane, just awaiting a couple more parts and then I will start it up in the garden if the weather holds up. I have sent a couple of e-mails to a local clubs but I have had no reply as yet. I dont want to try flying it without instrution. A good web site in the UK to place orders is
http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/ they have a good selection of trainers, good look m8 and let me know how you get on :spinnyeye
Old 01-02-2003, 10:51 AM

Let me emphasise Strato's advise. If you buy a radio from the US it will be ILLEGAL to use it in the UK. Sorry but you're stuck with buying one on the correct frequencies either here or in Europe where they also fly 35MHz.

As for the rest, I would not recommend getting a 60-size trainer until you have talked to the club you will be flying with. There are plenty of clubs in the UK that fly from relatively small patches and a BIG plane will be harder to get in and out cleanly. Not to mention meeting the noise regs. There's at least one local club that only allows engines to an absolute maximum size of .61 and then only if they are particularly quiet. Reading about what Americans like does not necessarily translate directly onto this much smaller, more densely populated island .

Steve
Old 01-02-2003, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by Crash Master
With RC, the question is not IF you'll crash, but WHEN.

ust MHO,
I don't agree with this statement, especially with a trainer - join a local club, buy what the majority of instructors recommend (probably a 40 or 46 size but NOT a 60), fly with an instructor & enjoy !!!

If you are a very unlucky (or really bad) you will crash ! At our club we lose very few aircraft and I can see no reason (force majure excluded) why a beginner should lose his/her trainer to a crash!!!
Old 01-02-2003, 03:45 PM
My Feedback: (1)

James: I have been helping students learn to fly all most every weekend( 8 to 10 people a weekend) for 18 years. In that time I have developed several "Favorites" and opinions that are based on a lot of "First Hand" experience. I would like to share these with you-or any beginner. Please contact me by e-mail and we can discuss your particular situation. Often the answers are very different for different situations. I may be reached at [email protected]
Old 01-02-2003, 11:41 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks guys.

flap & tmproff: Doesn't look like I can get an Avistar here in the uk - I guess I could import one - they work out about the same price as a "cheap" trainer here - but got to add the postage.

Crash Master: I love the idea of a SPAD - Im looking in to it. I think I need to buy the RC gear to actually get my hands on all the bits first though... would be neat to build my first aeroplane - and from what everyone has said about it - it seems like a great trainer.

Strato911 & Steve: I didnt realise that the fequencies are different. Looks like Im stuck with good old ripoff Britain...

Flybybooth: Thanks for the link to the site, the prices seem very reasonable.

James
Old 01-03-2003, 10:22 AM

SMC prices are indeed reasonable. It's also well worth trying Inwoods or Al's Hobbies cus they're often even more reasonable.

http://www.inwoodmodels.co.uk/
http://www.alshobbies.co.uk/

Steve
Old 01-03-2003, 03:12 PM

SPADS are a great trainer. The Debonair and their new trainer will be excellent choices for your first plane. They are durable, but as everyone else has said, they really easy and cheap to fix!. I have built and flown 2 SPAD's and have been happy with both!
Old 01-03-2003, 04:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plane: Sig LT 40 ARF or kit.
Motor: Any quality 40 to 46
Radio: Hitec Flash 5. Simple computer radio but holds 5 models.
I use this combo for flight demos and for my 8 year old son. This combo also allows for expansion down the road without spending a ton of money. Put a .50 on the LT 40 and it will do just about any aerobatics you could want.
Old 01-03-2003, 05:16 PM

James,

Good luck with your first plane, whatever that turns out to be.

I would strongly urge you to make contact with your local club first, they may even have a club aircraft/radio for beginners to try their hand at while they are deciding what to buy (my club does). Club members will be able to give you all the advice you need face to face, and confirm compatibility with your choice of radio.

Join the BMFA (British Model Flying Association) and get your insurance sorted out (not that you are going to hit anyone but it cant hurt to play safe) this normally happens as part and parcel of joining a club, ie the club deals with this for you when you join.

I have instructed at my club for a number of years and using the 'buddy box' system there is little danger of you crashing under instruction as your tutor has control at any time at the flick of a switch.

I notice plenty of 'Trainer Deals' advertised in the magazines which include plane, radio, engine and starter gear may be worth a look as they see good value.

My latest student is learning on a Seagull Boomerang which can be flown like a trainer but is reasonably aerobatic once you have mastered the basics. It's an artf kit and goes together well, It flys on a .40 which is about right for a first model. To echo earlier comments, fellow club members may have second hand stuff that is perfectly serviceable.

The choice of radio brand is personal, I use Futaba, because I always have. We all managed before computer radios were invented so while they do make life easier they are not a 'must have' for the beginner.

If, at the moment, you don't have a strong feeling for Helicopters I would forget about them for the time being and worry about doing fixed wing according to your budget. Get an economically priced radio and recon that if you are still with the hobby in two or three years you will be ready to trade up and deal with helicopters at that point. ( I may be biased as they do nothing for me!).

Hope this helps.

Have fun (when it stops raining!)

Simon.

P.S. What part of London are you from?
Old 01-03-2003, 06:28 PM

Steve: Thanks for the links, indeed they are even more reasonable!

Slug: Im going to make contact with my closest club asap - hopefully they can answer my questions over the phone - I doubt anyone is flying in the weather.

I know about the BMFA and insurance - I was one of the first people to get insurance for model rockerey...

Im in North East London - in Chingford - and when Im at college Im in South London/Kent - in Bromley - not sure which one to choose.... we'll see when I phone up.... I know the Chingford site as its only about 5 minutes drive from home. And I'll be closest to there over the summer months. That is of course, if they have spaces available.

James
Old 01-03-2003, 08:30 PM

I doubt anyone is flying in the weather.
You might be surprised what some of the die-hards do... I was excited for the forecast for the weekend, up to 30 F!! Althought it won't be the most pleasant time to learn, you can at least get some good ideas.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:59 AM

James,

My Club is the Sevenoaks District Club, our field is about 5 mins drive from Biggin Hill (10/15 mins from Bromley College).

January is when our membership renews so thats the best time to find spaces.

If you want to pop up & take a look and talk with some of our guys let me know. If we arrange in advance I can take up my Cub & Buddybox lead for a bit of 'hands on' if you wish.

Our Club will be using the Bromley College sports hall for an evening of Indoor flying in a couple of weeks time, again let me know if you want to come along.

Simon.
Old 01-04-2003, 11:37 AM

Simon,

It would be great to come along and see. You can only be about 20 minutes away from me then, I have a car so thats fine.

Do you want to email me? We can sort everything out that way:

j.carruthers(AT)rave.ac.uk

James
Old 01-04-2003, 05:03 PM

James.

Yep, no problem.

My email [email protected]

Simon.