Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Trainer for ME

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Trainer for ME

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 06:29 PM
VictoryRoll-91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trainer for ME

I'm in the market for a good beginner plane that can put me on the right track to flying. I need suggestions as to what would be a good trainer/beginner plane. I would really like to just buy a trainer, and learn on my own. What are some good planes?

PS: Please, no one suggest those parkzone firebird commanders or anything like that, thanks.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:47 PM
carrellh

Default RE: Trainer for ME

If you don't want to get instruction, something inexpensive and repairable is the way to go. GWS Slow Stick comes to mind.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:06 PM
sparky577

I agree with Carrell. Teaching yourself can get expensive, when you consider repair costs. I recommend you get in touch with a local flying club. Most clubs are only too happy to help a new pilot with training, plane setup, etc. As far as a good trainer, look into any of the major airplane manufacturers. A Carl Goldberg Eagle 2 is a great trainer, there's the Sig Kadet, the Hobbico Hobbistar, the Great Planes Nexstar, and the list goes on. But, teaching yourself will almost always lead to a crash. A lucky few pull it off, but I'd hate to see you crash your trainer, get discourged, and give it up all together.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:10 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: zildjian1992

I'm in the market for a good beginner plane that can put me on the right track to flying. I need suggestions as to what would be a good trainer/beginner plane. I would really like to just buy a trainer, and learn on my own. What are some good planes?

PS: Please, no one suggest those parkzone firebird commanders or anything like that, thanks.
Well, if that's really what you want, get a flying field about a half mile by a quarter mile. Stand with the sun at your back. Learn how to range check your plane and verify control direction. Maybe get a hundred hours on a flight sim. Learn how to adjust your engine, break it in before flying, and adjust it on the rich side, just a couple clicks.

Pick a good trainer like the LT-40, or the Eagle II, or maybe a Telemaster or an RCM Trainer 40. The Tower 40 is what I use for instruction, not a bad choice. As soon as the plane is in the air, cut the throttle back to about 50 to 60 percent, and don't hesitate to throttle back more if the plane seems too fast.

Since that's all you asked for, I'll stop there. Please have someone present with a video recorder, just in case you want to review the action.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 07-24-2006, 07:39 AM
VictoryRoll-91

Thanks, you all have been a really big help.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:17 AM
Dewane

Not knowing your ability,heres what I did.I down loaded the free G3 demo,although its keyboard only control it help me learn orientation and basic flying skills.Then I built a SPAD trainer,BUHOR to be exact.This plane can take the abuse like no other,its easy to build and cost effective.I'm on my second gallon of fuel and and have almost mastered my landings,theyre still a little rough but without a single lesson from an instructor I'm doing OK.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:18 AM
B.L.E.

I would like to point out the fact that you are not just learning how to fly an airplane, you are also learning how to operate something by remote control. The later is not near as easy as you think. If you don't believe this, try a radio control car and see if you can maneuver it through a course without running into something. Shave or apply makeup using a video camera and a tv monitor instead of a mirror and you will get an idea of just how unnatural RC is to a newbie.

If you already have a lot of RC practice using cars or boats, you stand a much better chance of being able to fly an airplane without an instructor but you still stand a good chance of rolling it inverted because you treated the ailerons like a steering wheel and then diving it into the ground because you commanded the elevator to make the plane go "up" while the plane was flying inverted.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:33 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really can't or do not want to seek instruction, Go to this link and by this for your training for the safest and least expensive way to learn. And when your ready for instruction go get a plane.

http://www.realflight.com/
Old 07-24-2006, 08:53 PM
weathervane

Just a short story here.

I tried to learn how to fly by myself, it was a total loss. I killed a plane in one week. I got so mad, I gave up on the idea of flying all together. Well here we are 15 years later, I joined the AMA, joined a local club, and started all over agian. This is a lot of fun, when you learn the right skills. As far as a trainer goes, I like the SIG LT40. Now that sounds a little strange, seeing as how I have only flown this one plane. ( well, successfully at least) I am allso a big fan of the flight sim's. You can learn a lot from those. It may seem like a video game, but you will learn a lot from it.

Good luck,
I hope you stay with it, It is a lot of fun.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:38 PM
rc-plane

i have an alpha trainer .40 and its easy i went solo in like 4 weeks and its a real good plane and flys well!!!!!!!!!!!!