Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Zenoah g26 engine

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Zenoah g26 engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 07:11 PM
niteowl5001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zenoah g26 engine

Hey,
Anyone know anything about the Zenoah gas engine? This is my first gas engine. I'd like to know:
1) Is it a good one?
2) Are there better gas engines?
Old 07-23-2006, 08:22 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Zenoah g26 engine

Yes it is a good one but a stock one is quite heavy unless you have it converted to electronic ignition. There are better ones but then you get into much higher prices.

I own 2 converted G26's both are powerhouses and do not weigh much more than an OS160FX. One is in a Great Planes Super Stearman with the plane at 14.5lbs and this engine, using an 18X6 Mezjlik pulls the plane around very well. The other is looking for a home.

Now do not expect this engine, even lightened to go onto a 3D plane. Gas engines are much heavy than a comparable glow engine. It's common to run glow into 120 size planes

Now Zenoah has come out with a G-20 which supposedly fits into 60/90 size planes. The weight seems a bit heavy for those planes so as long as the wing loading does not go too high then it would be fine.

This question actually belongs into the Gas Engine forum as gas engines are a bit beyond normal beginner planes usually discussed in the beginners forum
Old 07-23-2006, 11:06 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

bubba has it right this is a gas engine forum question, but I will chime in as I am a gas beginner also, what I have found out is the magneto weighs allot its a big magnet on the front of the engine that drives the spark plug. the E.I.( electronic ignition) requires a battery to power it but is still lighter than the magneto. if you do some searches you will find BCMA and brillelli ( think thats the spelling) have a light, 26 size motor and come with a elec. ignition. For my next project I am putting a BCMA 26 in a top flight P-47 its close in size to a sato 125 fs and about the same cost about 300$ and more power than the Z.20 I want to learn more about gas engines myself I like fuel powered models, glow is a slimy mess .I am also looking to go to larger size planes, read through the giant scale forum there is a section dedicated to gas engines tons of information there about all things gas.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:50 AM
Dr1Driver

IMO, Zenoah is the biggest bang-for-the-buck you can get for average sport flying. I've flown the G-62, G-38, and G-23, and loved all of them. Very easy to start and maintain and very user friendly. AND the price won't break your R/C bank account. I'm seriously looking at the new G-20 for a Top Flite 1/7 scale Corsair F4-U (.90 size) I have on the "to build" list.

Dr.1
Old 07-24-2006, 07:38 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just used a G-26 in my latest review of the H-9 P-47 and I really liked it. I also find Zenoah's to be a great Bang-for-the-Buck, and very dependable.

BTW guys, I'll be putting that new G-20 (With electronic ignition) in a 60 size H-9 Hellcat later this summer.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:07 PM
niteowl5001

Hey thanks a lot Bubba and Tim. Sorry for posting this question in beginners, but I am a beginner. I will go check out the engine section as you suggested Tim. Good luck Mike B with your Warbird this summer.

John Franklin AKA "Fly guy"
Old 07-24-2006, 03:11 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Niteowl,
No problem posting your question here. Since you're still a beginner is why I left your question here and didn't move it over to the engines forum. Don't be afraid of posting questions here, if they need to be somewhere else myself, or one of the other mods, will take care of moving it there. For the most part we allow a lot of questions in here that other forums may not allow, just because of the nature of being the beginner's forum. I usually only move questions when there is a better chance of getting correct answers in other forums.

Ken
Old 07-24-2006, 11:48 PM
HELI-JOKER
My Feedback: (21)

Ive got an Evolution 26 gasser in my GP P6e Hawk bipe and I love it-starts with a flip(YES,A FLIP-not several)runs smooth,lotta power,sounds good,and isnt a gas hog
Old 07-25-2006, 08:34 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

hey all you gas guys why would you go with a brand name like Zenoah vs a conversion company such as BCMA . seems like the conversion guys are catching up fast and have great deals . the appeal for me is cheap fuel and low clean up the brand name guys are 200$ more, are they that much better?
Old 07-26-2006, 05:41 AM
Dr1Driver

Possibly because the conversions don't have as much good press as brands like Zenoah. I did a Poulan conversion myself about 5 years ago. It matched the G-23 for power. Also, possibly the "made for R/C' engines have a specific configuration that the builder needs for his plane.

Dr.1