Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

storing

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

storing

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 04:24 PM
rc-plane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default storing

I just got a trainer a few weeks ago and just went solo last weekend i was wondering how and where yall store your planes.

please write back

Thanks
Old 07-25-2006, 04:38 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: storing

You can do almost anything. Set them on tables/benches. Hang from the ceiling rafters/beams. Hang on the wall or lean against the wall. Keep it in your truck/trunk so it is always ready. OK, so the last one is a little harder, the charger cord get to be too long after a while .
First you have to decide if you are going to store assembled or not and where do you have SAFE room.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:48 PM
checkmate91

I hang mine from the rafters in my garage, the charger leads reach up there, the kids/wife/car don't crush them when they're hanging up and I can get to them quickly. I (try to) fly all year round, especially during the winter months when the weather (apart from rain) is pretty benign, so don't actually store them, so to speak, as this implies laying them up during an off-season. East Anglia in the UK has a daytime temperature range of -2 to +30 celcius (winter through summer) so, in my club, as long as the flying conditions are appropriate we'll fly...

just googled your annual averages, you're a few degrees high than my neck of the woods and a few degrees lower in winter, little snow apparently so you should be flying all year round, right?

Regards,
Andy
Old 07-25-2006, 04:49 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

Bruce,

This thread brings up a question (unintentional hijacking). Is it a bad idea to hang a 35% gasser from the Horiz. stab? Or...hang it from the mains? on a wall? Or...is it better for the engine/airframe to hang it from the ceiling horizontally?
Old 07-25-2006, 04:59 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: agexpert

Bruce,

This thread brings up a question (unintentional hijacking). Is it a bad idea to hang a 35% gasser from the Horiz. stab? Or...hang it from the mains? on a wall? Or...is it better for the engine/airframe to hang it from the ceiling horizontally?
I don't have experience with planes of that size to give an authoritative reply. My initial thought would be to hang it horizontally if able.

Let's wait though for some of the big plane pilots to chime in on this too.

I think you are on topic BTW, you just increased the scale.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:34 PM
ICE_MAN

Hanging it horizontally will be best.. Not because of the engine or anything but for stress reasons. Hanging a 26lb plane by it LG, spinner, and certainly horizontal stab should be a big no no. Something that goes under the fuse but allows the lg and tail gear to hang down will be good, spreads out the weight, and keeps the tires nice and round.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:49 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's what works for me (and my wife) got some shelf standards from ace hardware the kind that are adjustable with slots. mounted on studs 32"apart in shop/garage, take 12" shelf brackets and use 1/2" plumbing pipe insulation for padding it comes in rolls or 3' sections, it fits over the brackets perfectly and you can space them for each model fusealage and wings , stores them on the wall out of reach of the kids and out of the way when not in use I happen to use the 4' standards 2 sets and hung them high on the wall but I think you can get the 8' ones at H.D. or lowes in a 4' section you can store 3 , 60 size planes without being to cramped, then when you are not working on them they are out of the way