Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

avistar select or avistar 2 monokote

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

avistar select or avistar 2 monokote

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 09:06 AM
wing_man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default avistar select or avistar 2 monokote

im getting into flying with gas/nitro engines and my instructor suggected that i might want to go with a gas trainer vs. gas warbirds taht im starting to get into. im still fairly new tot he RC scene so any help would be appreciated

p.s. if u no of any war birdbird trainers plz share. ive looked at the p51 but im more into the P-38 lightning and the OV-10 bronco
Old 07-30-2006, 09:08 AM
wing_man

Default RE: avistar select or avistar 2 monokote

wow,
that was smart of me i didnt even list the other planes i was looking at sry for the confusion. im looking at an Hobbico Avistar 2 40. monokote, and a avistar select 40.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:41 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

Ok let's kind of start all over ok? I'm not exactly sure at this point what the question even is. Other than are there any other Warbird type trainers besides the H9 PTS P51, answer: no, none that I am aware of. What exactly is your question about the Avistar??? Give us a little more to work with & we will certainly try to to help you.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:57 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And do you have experience with electric planes? If so which planes, and how good are you with them?
Old 07-31-2006, 07:56 AM
donhef

Are you asking what the differences are with these two planes? Not really a lot, just how they are put together. The Select is an RTF, that uses screws, straps and bolts to put the wings together and also comes with the engine and radio gear installed. The Avistar II is the ARF version that needs a little more time on the work bench to put together, and you'll also need to pick out your engine and radio combination to install as well.

Once together, they fly the same. They come in to land a little more faster than say a Pt-40 or a NexStar, but that is just good practice to get you used to more advanced aircraft (IMHO). Once you solo and get more and more comfortable with them, you can re-enforce the main wing joint with fiberglass and start practicing aerobatics. Then look up all the threads here on RCUniverse to see what other folks have done to their Avistars to make them even more advanced and fun to fly. The only thing that limits you is your imagination! I've been watching another thread here where another Member made one of theirs into a biplane! Now that's cool!

Have fun with whatever type of trainer you decide on. And welcome to the addiction............I mean the hobby!

B/R
Don
Old 07-31-2006, 08:17 AM
wildchild45177
My Feedback: (11)

As far as which Avistar, it's a matter of personal opinion. I my opinnion opt for the ARF, simply because the choice of radio and engine is then yours. If you plan on going on from here, you don't really want the 4CH radio or 40LA that comes with the RTF. More like the 7C, which has room to grow with you, and the 46AX for more power when your ready. It also helps you learn to set one up better. Just my opinnion.

Bob