Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First Time Builder needs Advise!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First Time Builder needs Advise!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 12:06 PM
SnitGTS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Builder needs Advise!!!

Hello all! After a lot of research I just bought my first rc plane, a Graupner Tipsy. I have a background in aviation and I am a pilot, so I understand the basic concepts of flight rather well.

I decided on the Tipsy because of its ability to glide, it's long duration flights, and because it looks like a very stable platform for me to learn on. I understand it has some flaws, such as the wings bending up under stress, the Speed 280 motor is underpowered in some conditions, and if I hit the ground nose down it could break the tail boom. I have already addressed the underpowered problem by ordering the Speed 280 Sport, which is said to provide 5 ounces of thrust instead of the standard 280's 3. I understand this increase in power will apply more stress to the wing, so I would like to reinforce the wing. I've heard some people say to run some tape from one end of the wing to the other, but I fail to see what that would do to reinforce the wing. Personally, I was thinking of running a thin strip of balsa wood along the top of the wing, at least up to the dyhidrals. I'm also thinking of reinforcing the tail boom. However, I would only want to do that if it was extremely light and not interfering with the planes sleek aerodynamics.

Any insight on how to achieve my goals would be greatly appreciated!!!

Jay
Old 07-31-2006, 01:45 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: First Time Builder needs Advise!!!

Hi!
Tipsy!...?
Pictures please.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:54 PM
SnitGTS

I'm sorry but I don't actually have the plane yet. However, if you want you can google "Graupner Tipsy" and you should be able to find tons of info along with pics and video of the plane.

Jay
Old 07-31-2006, 03:38 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took a look. If you run a strip of tape spanwise top and bottom on the wing, you will strengthen the wing. The tape on the side the wing is bending away from will be in tension and thus provide additional strength.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:34 PM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

I kind of mis-understood, I think it was the name of your thread that through me, "First Time Builder Needs Advice". I though you were talking about a kit but all I'm finding for this Tipsy by Graupner is a foam ARF/RTF type of thing with a pusher prop. Is this the right one? If so, while these little electrics really aren't my cup of tea, if I was going to have one I think I would first off change out the motor & esc for a brushless power system. Then as for re-inforcing the wing, I think I would probably try some small gauge carbon fiber rods first. It is very strong, yet very light weight. Good luck!
Old 07-31-2006, 10:44 PM
Tannerlb

Running tape from wing tip to wing tip does help add strength to the wing because it stops the wings from "flapping" and bending. I actually did this too my little foam RTF and it did help a bit. It also helps keep thing wing together if you crash (Packing Tape works well.)

About adding strength to the horz stab, just do the same thing, use some packing tape. You should not need any type of balsa wood. Keep in mind that theys are not very "high tech" planes and are not ment to be strong and durable but too actually crumble if they are crashed so that the electronics are not damaged and the foam is actually qutie cheap. Also they should be flown in VERY calm winds, because it is very light and slight gusts will blow it off course.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:08 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
Tipsy...
Well it's not what I should choose if I wanted to really "learn to fly"!
What I mean by that is that I want a plane big enough to take off and land from a grass field. A plane big enough to be stable in most wind conditions. Not a plane that you must toss away and that is very sensitive to winds and that hasn't got power and duration.
As you see I think all R/C flying should be done in a Clubs where there is adequate runways, facilities and flying buddies ...not just go out alone in any vacant field and toss a plane...that isn't model-flying to me...

If I still would choose the Tipsy , which isn't a bad Toy airplane , I would choose a brushless motor and Lipo battery A brushless motor with Lipo cells will give much, much better performance and duration than the old fashioned 280 brushed motor.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden