Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Dropped transmitter - what would you do?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Dropped transmitter - what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 07:06 PM
jlimey
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropped transmitter - what would you do?

Hi there,

My son dropped my JR 6102 transmitter while unhooking from the flight simulator. Externally, it bent the flap lever. There was also a screw loose inside, similar to the ones holding circuit boards in place. No obvious vacancy for it! I suppose it could have been dropped behind a board during production, and this jarred it lose.

Now my question. Would you ship it to JR for a check-up? Do the normal range check and cross your fingers? Do a normal range check and as far a check with the antenna up as possible and cross your fingers? I'm thinking the latter, but it's a little scary.

BTW, all systems work on the simulator. I would like opinions, as it probably cost us a foamy today because we were so pre-occupied with the range check , that we didn't check the throws! Our first "crash". Fortunately, it was literally held together with glue and plastic as the landing gear had ripped out the fuselage a couple of times (little wheels aren't meant to land on even the shortest grass!). A good lesson - and I already viewed the plane itself as expendable, though a crash doing some new trick would have been more gratifying!

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 08-06-2006, 07:14 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Dropped transmitter - what would you do?

I would send it in. There is so much that can happen when a radio is dropped, you don't want to find out something is broken while you have a plane in the air. The cost of having it checked out is cheap insurance from loosing a plane.

Ken
Old 08-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should not even have to ask this question. If I dropped a transmitter, It would be right back in the original box with the original packing material (styrofoam) and be on it's way back to the authorized repair facility with a note explaning what had happened. You may not notice anything wrong, until the day it causes a crash with something more valuable than a throw away foamie.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-06-2006, 07:24 PM
parrthd

I would send it in. There is so much that can happen when a radio is dropped, you don't want to find out something is broken while you have a plane in the air. The cost of having it checked out is cheap insurance from loosing a plane.

Ken
yea, what he said. can't argue the fact of cheap insurance against a 500-600 $ plane!!!

even worse part is you won't have a TX to fly with until it returns.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:10 PM
chashint

I would range check it and if it passed i would use it.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:24 PM
ROCKY1405
My Feedback: (6)

I had the same thing happen last season and I sent in the TX because I wasn't going to risk safety of either fellow flyers or an expensive model. Examination found that the fall had fractured a plastic mounting piece on the right side control stick and if I had kept using it that way it likely would have broken in use. Can you imagine how you'd feel if that happened to you and your model went out of control and hurt somebody? No matter how good a pilot you are you can't control a model when one of the TX sticks breaks off when you are in the air. So, I'd say to give yourself and the rest of your fellow flyers piece of mind, just send it in to to get it checked out and make sure its safe to use. Rack it up to the cost of being in the hobby. Stuff like that happens. Best Regards,
Ron
[8D]
Old 08-06-2006, 08:36 PM
jlimey

I'm convinced. Not worth the chance of hurting somebody. Of course, I am interested in what the cost will be for exam - might be time to upgrade!
Old 08-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

The answer is simple, you no longer "feel the difference", time to switch to Futaba
Old 08-07-2006, 12:00 PM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Hill202

The answer is simple, you no longer "feel the difference", time to switch to Futaba

I own Futabas, HiTech, Airtronics & JR. The Futabas, & HiTechs are nice radios indeed. The Airtronics I don't care for at all. The JR on the orther hand is the creme of the crop. I do feel the difference!!
Old 08-07-2006, 08:53 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: elenasgrumpy

ORIGINAL: Hill202

I own Futabas, HiTech, Airtronics & JR. The Futabas, & HiTechs are nice radios indeed. The Airtronics I don't care for at all. The JR on the orther hand is the creme of the crop. I do feel the difference!!

This was screaming for a comeback. I just can't think of one right now but I hope you appreciate the effort.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:41 PM
elenasgrumpy

LOL, Well done you get credit for that!!
Old 08-07-2006, 09:53 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

LOL, Well done you get credit for that!!
I thought about commenting, but thought I would take it easy on ya because you're recovering from surgery!!!!

Ken
Old 08-08-2006, 11:36 AM
elenasgrumpy

Yah Ken, I was kind of expecting some rocks coming from your way about the Airtronics comment.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:04 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Yah Ken, I was kind of expecting some rocks coming from your way about the Airtronics comment.
In normal times I might have. But since you just got out of surgery I was being nice to you!!! [X(]

Ken
Old 08-08-2006, 01:44 PM
bruce88123

Nobody really knock Airtronics Ken, after all they ARE great door stops. I even used one for a wheel chock once.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:40 PM
elenasgrumpy

I hear they also make good paper-weights in tornado country too!
Old 08-08-2006, 04:12 PM
donkey doctor

Hello; I was training a new fellow one day, I took off, trimmed it out and handed him the ransmitter. He fumbled it and dropped it face first on the ground, he was watching the plane not the transmitter. I picked up the tx. the elevator aileron stick had broken off flush. I put my thumb where the stick was and after a few passes, to get used to the plane and the feel of the little nub. Then I landed it and taxied back to the pits. One of the other flyers had an old Futaba tx. he donated teh gimbal to repair the broken one. It flies on. I would open up the back and look for obvious problems, and if I didn't see anything wrong, or wrong looking, I would give it a good range check. If it passed the range check I would go flying. I should say that I have sent radios in to Airtronics 3 times, only once did Airtronics find anything to correct.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:14 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

I would have range checked it and used it, except for the fact that you said there was a screw loose. I would definitely not assume that this was from production. Send it in, not worth it. I have dropped my TX before--not far, but I have dropped it, but there was nothing loose after the fall either...
Old 08-09-2006, 10:36 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

You know, if you ever stuff a plane and not sure what happened, you can always perfom a range check i saw once (really). Throw your transmitter as hard as you can in the direction of the plane. If it doesn't reach it, then you better get a new one.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:21 PM
jlimey

Update. Sent it to Horizon last Thursday, got it back today. They replaced the broken gear switch and gave it an OK on all functions and signal for $21, their shipping included. Plus the $15 I paid to ship (and yes, I could have gotten that cheaper elsewhere, but I went convenience), I feel good about the time and $$ spent.

Just thought I would give people a heads up on approximate cost for such a thing!
Old 08-17-2006, 04:52 PM
bruce88123

$36, Cheap confidence IMO. Thanks for the update.