Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New "Nugget" in town

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New "Nugget" in town

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Aircon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New "Nugget" in town

Hi folks...

Just thought I'd drop in and say hello. I guess you could say that I am a beginner because I have never built nor flown an RC aircraft. That is about to change! I have had an interest in RC aircraft for a while but never got into it. This seems like the BEST place to start right here. My interest is in large scale...1/6th warbirds. What I plan on doing first is buying a kit and build it for static purposes first. I will do this to hone my building skills and then (with the help of asking many questions from the veterans here) start building and flying 1/6th warbirds. I hope you don't mind me asking lot's of questions because I know I will need to!!

Thanks.....

Cheers!

Aircon
Old 08-08-2006, 12:57 AM
Raylon

Default RE: New "Nugget" in town

That may be an aggresive step, but I shouldn't really be recommending anything because I stick with Helicopters. Maybe you could start with a trainer kit and then work your way up, or maybe get the P-51 PTS if you really want all warbirds.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:31 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

warbirds are my personal favorite but let me be the first of many that will chime in here they aint for beginners start with the top of this page and get yourself a high wing trainer join the canadian version of the AMA not sure what that org. is called find a club or instructor and then start learning how to fly. by the time you have mastered the basics then work on a low wing sport plane then mabee start that warbird build and take a year to do it your going to spend at least a 1,000$ on that one just building it. if you have mastered the low wing get a ARF like a hangar 9 P-47 with retracts, get it , there is a long road to the warbird hangar, flying a high wing loading plane takes alot of doing but its well worth the effort building one that fly's well takes time as well as some skill also .
Old 08-08-2006, 04:30 AM
parrthd

ditto, my first warbird was my 5th plane(a beautiful p-51d miss america scheme .60 size)........i really thought i was ready for warbirds, now i have a static model that is ready when i am.....(just can't seem to get those tricky landings down....LOL)
Old 08-08-2006, 05:13 AM
rwright142

Aircon,

Welcome to RCU. You will find a lot of helpful information here. The only thing that I would highly recommend is to find a local club and visit them. You will learn so much from just chatting with the folks that have already "been there and done that..."

I am like you, in that I love warbirds. I did not have a lot of experience building models but I wanted to build a warbird too. However, starting with a model as complex as a warbird was a challenge. I built a static Corsair to teach kids, clubs, etc about modeling. I wanted to show them what a planes looks like on the inside as well as the outside. I built mine with only 1 side finished so kids can see the finished and the unfinished side. The "ooohs" and "ahhhhs" were worth every cent. Pictures of it are [link=http://www.putfile.com/rwright142]here.[/link]

A static plane like mine was expensive, even with the contributions I received, so make sure that is what you want to do. There are a lot of cheap kits that you can use for your static model and they will help hone you building skills.

Again, welcome to RCU and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:41 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well. I'm new to .40 size planes , all mine are .049 size, I would not recommend the mustang so called trainer to anyone..I witnessed a very good pilot have a lot of trouble with that thing...all the things they add on to slow it down just make it a bad flying plane...others may have had better experience...I'm just sayin....Rog
Old 08-08-2006, 06:44 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Aircon,
Welcome to RCU. Please don't worry about asking questions, that's what we're here for. Remember, the only dumb question is the one that's not asked!!!! So, ask away.

Ken
Old 08-08-2006, 09:02 AM
doubledee
My Feedback: (4)

Warbirds are not only beautiful they are wonderful flying airplanes, but they are not for beginners. The Hangar 9 P-51 PTS is a beginner's airplane but IMO not a true warbird replica. Because of the flight characteristics of most scale warbirds they are generally considered a 4th or 5th airplane. Intermediate to advance flying skill is needed to successfully fly these aircraft. They are hot rods. That said, I personally would purchase a trainer, there are several available, the P-51 PTS being one of them, and start there, all the time keeping in mind your goal of building a warbird. Get the fundamentals down first. Once you have honed your flying skills move up to a warbird. It would be a shame to spend all that time building a warbird only to lose it due to inexperience or lack of skill.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
doubledee
Old 08-08-2006, 09:25 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the "insanity/addiction" .

I must agree with bigtim advise above. I have been flying (this time) for about 4 years and am just getting ready to maiden my 1st warbird (IF it ever stops raining ).

I purposely added weight to a 4* to get the wing loading up to 32oz. It was a whole new experience taking off, flying and especially landing. I realize it is not the same as a warbird, but the heavier wing loading is a complete new learning experience. I have about 10 - 12 flights on the heavy 4* and feel that I can now maiden the Tempest with a reasonable chance of it going home in the same number of pieces it arrived at the field in.

Definitely find a club, an instructor and start with a traditional trainer. Someone mentioned the P-51 PTS. Due to the approximate 25oz wing loading (MOST trainers have 16oz - 18oz ) I would suggest this plane as a 2nd plane, not as a primary trainer.