Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Ok looking for a good rtf trainer gas

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Ok looking for a good rtf trainer gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 01:24 AM
jakcharles
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok looking for a good rtf trainer gas

Ok I am ready to take the challenge of RC Airplanes. I am looking for a good RTF plan with Radio and everything. I have been told about the Hobbic trainer is one I should take a look at. So I was wondering if any one else had any suggestions. Please let me know.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:38 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ok looking for a good rtf trainer gas

check the top of this page RCKEN has the master list of trainers I relearned on a NEXTAR was a great starter plane for me its a bit pricy for some good basic trainer would cost about 300$
Old 08-08-2006, 03:59 AM
weeber24

jackcharles,

I got a Hanger9 Alpha 40, RTF for my trainer just a few months ago. It's been real good to me so far, I'm now soloed on it and my instructer seemed to like it OK. The RTF comes with a flywheel on the prop for good idle speed and a 3 bladed prop which makes it fly slow. When you get better, you can take this stuff off and put on a two-bladed prop for better speed.

Mine has also held up well despite some of my landings, so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this RTF to others just learning. I got mine from a local hobby shop (LHS) for $310, and the very next day I was out flying it. It was very cool. I've heard that the 60 size flys better in wind, and it's obviously more visible, but I haven't had any problems with the 40 size.

Horizon Hobby has these planes:
[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=alpha+RTF&CatId=]Alphas[/link]
Old 08-08-2006, 06:37 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's the like to the list of beginning planes that I have posted:

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4537845/tm.htm[/link]

Ken
Old 08-08-2006, 10:40 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXCXF4**&P=0

That's the most reasonable RTF Trainer that I know of. It is a perfectly good Trainer as well. I have both this one & a NexStar. The NexStar is another fine bird but costs $140 more than the Tower. Mostly because of the the training features/gimmicks that come with it. If money is an issue at all then the Tower is the very best bang for your buck available imo. That extra $140 difference between the two would buy you a completely outfitted field box with all the support equipment needed & still leave money left over for fuel, props, & glow plugs.

Which ever plane you decide to go with, join the AMA, find the local club in your area & get yourself an Instructor there to teach you how to fly. Good luck & welcome to the Hobby.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:14 AM
jlimey
My Feedback: (2)

If you have the money, I have no regrets getting the Hangar 9 Alpha 60. It was ready to fly in less than an hour (battery charging not included ), is very visible, and pretty tough. It had an early affinity for the weeds on the far side of the runway!

My 13 year-old and I both learned to solo on it, and the instructor had no complaints. Now, I already had a 6 channel radio from our earlier failed effort at electric flight, so the 4 channel radio that came with it at the time wasn't a hindrance to future growth. I would do it again. If you were to go the .40 size route, the Tower set-up would cmpete well with the Alpha 40.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:43 PM
mrbass111

the nextstar is pricy but comes with the fight training software. wich i thought was pricless. if you go with another model i would reccomend some type of training software.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:01 PM
jakcharles
My Feedback: (10)

I want to thank everyone for the input. Also I want to thank you (elenasgrumpy) and just say that I am in Atwater Ca. near Merced and about 20 minutes from Turlock. I would like to come out Tracy and watch your club members fly around.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:46 PM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

We can do that. Just give me a PM, we fly regularly on Mon, Wed, & Fri mornings, early like around 6:00 am then we usually go to lunch at a nearby place we like. There is also allways some flying going on on the weekends too. Just let me know when you want to come out. You're just a little more than an hour away.