Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Problem with ASP .46 engine/ dies in full throttle. Help.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Problem with ASP .46 engine/ dies in full throttle. Help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 07:34 PM
rinoldi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with ASP .46 engine/ dies in full throttle. Help.

Hi all. Ijust bought this ASP .46 engine After break in, I've been unable to use it since it dies when full throttle is applied. I tuned it to the peak then 3 clicks rich, but there is no way that I can make it run on full throttle. Can you help me on this? What can make an engine stop under ful throttle? Thanks!
Old 08-11-2006, 09:04 PM
Jim C.

Default RE: Problem with ASP .46 engine/ dies in full throttle. Help.

check that there is NO air bubbles. did you run it on a test stand, or on the aircraft? Does it quit during the transition from low throttle to full throttle or just when you get to full throttle?
Old 08-11-2006, 09:32 PM
rinoldi

Jim, don't understand about the air bubbles. The engine stops in full throttle, but before reaching the full throttle (push) it slows down as you push the stick (like if at some point it starts to iddle again, then dies), Kinda funny, if before it stops you pull the stick, it will recover, but no way it goes beyond a point without slowing down then stopping. aNY IDEAS? tHANKS~!
Old 08-11-2006, 09:40 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

i had he same problem with one i have,i did two things first loosen the carburetor op hold it down with your thumb and retightn it,my oring wasn't sealing all the way,also check the low end to make sure it is set properly,the air bubbles that JIM C was referring to,is that you might have a leak in your inlet fuel line from the fuel tank,maybe the clunk or fuel line itself.hope this helps
Old 08-11-2006, 09:54 PM
the_madgenius

rinoldi, another thing you can try , remove the needle from the carby, connect your fuel pump to the carby direct, place one finger over the hole where the needle goes , pump fuel into the spraybar for half a second, then reverse the pump and suck out the spraybar. If you have a foreign body in the spraybar then this should shift it, because it sounds like you have something in the spraybar that is not allowing a full fuel flow at full throttle. Hope this helps
Bill.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:37 PM
john_s3
My Feedback: (1)

I Would Run It On A Test Stand With A Different Fuel Tank.If It Runs OK The Problrm Is In The Plame's Fuel Sys.There Are A Lot Of Reasons But Just Replace The Tank Copleaty. Make Sure It Is Lined Up With The Carb In The Plane.The C/L Of TAnk Must Be Close Of The C/L Line Of The Carb. Is The Fule Line Big Enought?
If It Failes.Loose Carb and Dirt Are Good Things To Try.
A Rich Or Lean Idle Setting Can Do It Too.Sounds Lean If You Must Richen It To Keep It Running.Set It Richer Then Factory Spects And Lean It Out.At Least You Will Get It Running.
Here Is Trick I Use When Working On Outboard Marine Engines.The Only Diff. Is You Will Need A Car To Do It.
If An Engine Is Running OK At Full Throttel You Can Take A Auto Timeing Light Hoked Up To A Running Car And Shine It Down The Carb With The Engine Running.You Should See An Good Spray Pattern Like A Hand Fan .No Drops Just Atomized Fuel.Just Take Care With Wires And Hold It Down So It Will Not Get A Way.
Hope It Helps.Be Careful
John
Old 08-11-2006, 10:57 PM
Fastsky

Hm, you say you just bought it , and say its broken in. How many tanks of fuel have you burned through it?? I have an ASP 52 which I really like now but it took a good 8 tanks of fuel through it before it settled down and ran reliably. TT or OS engines will run pretty reliable after just 3 tanks. [8D]
Old 08-12-2006, 03:52 PM
scratchonly

Best bet: you have a restriction between your klunk and your venturi. One person on this forum found BALSA in his fuel line. Back flushing your spray bar was good advice.

Good luck.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:18 PM
rinoldi

I appreciate very much all your answers; sadly enough I followed every advice (even changed fuel tank/lines). No improvement. Engine still looses power on transition to full throttle. If transition is slow it may recover, but still looses power at some point like middle way bettween iddle and full. If stick movement is done fast, it dies. I tried everything, from engine instructions to advices in this forrum, still to no avail. Unless I've been unable to set it correctly, but since I tried many settings and the problem is always the same, I was wondering if someone has found this behavior in an ASP engine and has another solution, or if maybe the engine is simply a bad one. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2016, 09:20 AM
taurus

replace the high speed needle washer
Old 08-05-2016, 01:18 PM
rcjetflyer0718-RCU

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by taurus
replace the high speed needle washer
FYI this thread is 10 years old and the last time the OP has posted anything was in October 2006.