Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

CG Eagle 2 or H9 Alpha?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

CG Eagle 2 or H9 Alpha?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 03:50 PM
NightOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG Eagle 2 or H9 Alpha?

Built and flew a an Eaglet 50 many years ago. Had about 20 flights when it just kept going one day. (batteries or interference) Never found it. I grew tired of waiting for my expert pilot buddy to show up and launched and landed it myself the very first time without incident. However, that has been about 20 years ago.

My father and I want to get another plane. I never had a chance to teach him before I lost the plane.

Being that we have experience with the Goldberg line we are considering an Eagle 2 ARF. However, someone else recommend that I either get a Hangar 9 Alpha or Arrow. I have read many positive reviews on the Eagle 2 and Alpha, but would like someone to contrast them and give me the pros and cons of each. Which one is better quality and why?

Finally. should I consider building a kit or are the ARFs really just as good as you can built them yourself? Building was never my favorite part of the sport although it did generate a lot of pride after I finished a kit.

Thanks

Carl
Old 08-15-2006, 03:59 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CG Eagle 2 or H9 Alpha?

IMO buying an ARF is a good way to get into the air quickly and you can then decide if you want to build your second (or later) plane from a kit. I personally enjoy building but not all do or have the time. ARF quality is good these day especially in the trainers you have mentioned. I have instructed with both the Alpha and Arrow and have owned a kit built Eagle 2 and flown it (not instructed with it though). I see no reason why it would not be a good trainer though.
I realize I probably haven't helped you choose but I haven't discouraged you on any either I hope.

Do you still have radios and an engine? If not you may wish to consider an ARF although I would prefer to choose my own radio/engine setup if I were you.

I will add that the Arrow does seem to have a little more performance than the other 2 IMO with the same engine.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:52 PM
tessmar

I am still a raw student and do not have an Eagle 2 but another student at the field does and both of us have a very experienced and competent instructor who is quite impressed with it. I can attest that the ARF build quality is quite good. It also has a large wing area (it is over 1 1/2 inches wider than an Avistar, for example) that is quite flat on the bottom and has a lot of dihedral. According to both student and instructor the plane is very stable to fly. In addition, the instructor says it practically lands itself, floating in very gently. Hope this is some help.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:06 AM
NightOne

I'm leaning towards building an Eagle 2. I downloaded and read the instructions for both the ARF and the kit. The kit instructions brought back a lot of memories. Plus, I can make it look anyway I want. I'm thinking of a white/purple theme with some yellow pin striping. When I look at the ARFs, they look very nice but when you show up at the field with an Eagle 2 ARF it will look just like every other one there.

Of course, the ARF will put you at the flying field a lot sooner. Decisions...Decisions. 8-)

I guess my original inquiry was more about quality. I am familar with Goldberg of years ago. Is the quality of Hangar 9 as good, better, or worse?

Thanks
Old 08-16-2006, 10:16 AM
bruce88123

Of course, as a kit builder myself, I feel that I a kit can always be built better than an ARF. But between the 3 ARF's in question I think the quality is probably about equal. I do admit that I have not seen the CG ARF though.

On another point, are you planning to fly with the Millington Barnstormers or another of the Memphis clubs? Please do join a club.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:31 AM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

I am new to the hobby. I purchased a Hangar 9 Alpha 60 with the .61 Evolution engine. I have about 20 flights on it so far. The engine has performed flawlessly.
The plane is very sturdy: I have made so very hard landings because I am learning and hae had no necessary major repairs as a result. The Alpha 60 handles
the wind very good. We average 10 - 15 miles per hour and sometimes it can be somewhat gusty. Its approach spped is low and very stable at minimum speed
even in the wind.

I think probably, based on my reading on this forum that either choice would be good. I have no experience with the CG, but their reputation is very good.

I would definately purchase another Alpha 60. The evolution engine is remarkable. The plane is capable of doing loops, rolls, inverted and Hammerhead stalls.
It is very fun to fly. Might do some other things but I'm not experienced enough to know. It is a "trainer" and has diehedral in the wing which would limit it
somewhat.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:18 PM
NightOne

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

Of course, as a kit builder myself, I feel that I a kit can always be built better than an ARF. But between the 3 ARF's in question I think the quality is probably about equal. I do admit that I have not seen the CG ARF though.

On another point, are you planning to fly with the Millington Barnstormers or another of the Memphis clubs? Please do join a club.
Yes, probably will be Millington Barnstormers although I am not crazy about the cost to go fly. (AMA membership, dues, and initial fee)

Costs about $150 per person. Not cool.

I don't know anything about any of the other RC clubs in the area. I know that they say that the wagon wheel on Austin Peay is still going, but that it is not open to new members.

I just moved back to Millington after being in Chicago for 11 years so I am not in the know anymore.

Other places close to Millington (or short ride)?

Thanks

Carl
Old 08-16-2006, 03:23 PM
NightOne

ORIGINAL: Safebet

I am new to the hobby. I purchased a Hangar 9 Alpha 60 with the .61 Evolution engine. I have about 20 flights on it so far. The engine has performed flawlessly.

Over the last couple of days, I have been changing my mind like Paris Hilton changes boyfriends.

I was kind of set on building an Eagle 2, but my Dad just wants to get to flying. So now I am thinking that $389 for an Alpha 60 RTF sounds like a quick route. Then I can build a 2nd plane once it gets a little colder. Of course, I could change my mind in another couple of hours. I guess that is what reading forums will do to you.

Thanks

Carl
Old 08-16-2006, 03:46 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: NightOne

Yes, probably will be Millington Barnstormers although I am not crazy about the cost to go fly. (AMA membership, dues, and initial fee)

Costs about $150 per person. Not cool.

I don't know anything about any of the other RC clubs in the area. I know that they say that the wagon wheel on Austin Peay is still going, but that it is not open to new members.

I just moved back to Millington after being in Chicago for 11 years so I am not in the know anymore.

Other places close to Millington (or short ride)?

Thanks

Carl
Sent you a PM
Old 08-16-2006, 08:20 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, you will have what, about 2 weeks of winter to build? It took me about 3 weeks to do the wood portion of my Venture 60 build, and about another 3 weeks to get it covered.

You can have a good time there, $150 isn't that bad. You could always take out a $100k mortgage for an old farm in the area. You would always have access to a field, like I do now. The nearest field is at least an hour away from me.

Good luck, no matter what your decision. I have 2 of the Alpha's, they fly well. I have an LT40, flys well, but needs very calm wind to fly easily. 2 Tigers, a 60 and a Tiger 2, love them both. Great low wing trainers.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:38 AM
doubledee
My Feedback: (4)

Buy the Hangar 9 Arrow if you want to do some basic aerobatics. If you or your dad's eyes are like mine buy the Hangar 9 .60 size Alpha. Both are excellent airplanes and are ready-to-fly with JR radio furnished. These are the planes to buy if you want to get into the air quickly. Fuel it, glow it, start it, fly it. It is that simple.

Regards,
doubledee
Old 08-17-2006, 09:42 AM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: doubledee

Buy the Hangar 9 Arrow if you want to do some basic aerobatics. If you or your dad's eyes are like mine buy the Hangar 9 .60 size Alpha. Both are excellent airplanes and are ready-to-fly with JR radio furnished. These are the planes to buy if you want to get into the air quickly. Fuel it, glow it, start it, fly it. It is that simple.

Regards,
doubledee
Don't forget to "charge it". The batteries that is.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:09 PM
NightOne

ORIGINAL: doubledee

Regards,
doubledee

LHS has a Alpha 60 in stock. Wife is on her way to pick it up now.

Now, somewhere around here there were some posts about some tips for prepping this plane before flying. One was about the striping flapping on the wing and to make sure you run over the whole plane with a monokote gun/iron. Something about an engine adjustment too I think. Time to do some more searching...

Thanks
Old 08-17-2006, 12:14 PM
NightOne

Yesterday evening, I managed to get out to local flying field when there some people there. The instructor there was telling me I should consider the H9 P51 PTS. Did some research and it looked appealing. My dad was concerned about it landing too fast even with the droops and stuff.

We seriously debated it last night, but decided to take the safe router with the Alpha. There is a huge thread going on about the subject.

Hopefully, we'll both be happy.

Goal is to fly this weekend (or bust it in a bazillion pieces).
Old 08-17-2006, 12:20 PM
bruce88123

Get on the buddy box with a good instructor and you should have no problems. Remember to charge the batteries full 24 hours the first time and then overnight after that the night before you go to fly.
Must be getting the plane at the shop on Navy Rd.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:56 PM
LonestarMan

Take it from me ,you made the right choice. Sometimes slick marketing and ads can lit'en your wallet sooner than you like. A warbird is a warbird no matter what crap they hang on it!!!
ORIGINAL: NightOne

Yesterday evening, I managed to get out to local flying field when there some people there. The instructor there was telling me I should consider the H9 P51 PTS. Did some research and it looked appealing. My dad was concerned about it landing too fast even with the droops and stuff.

We seriously debated it last night, but decided to take the safe router with the Alpha. There is a huge thread going on about the subject.

Hopefully, we'll both be happy.

Goal is to fly this weekend (or bust it in a bazillion pieces).
Old 08-17-2006, 04:33 PM
NightOne

Get on the buddy box with a good instructor and you should have no problems. Remember to charge the batteries full 24 hours the first time and then overnight after that the night before you go to fly.
Must be getting the plane at the shop on Navy Rd.
Gonna get them on the charger(s) tonight.

Thanks

Guy named David at the field is a certified AMA instructor or something to that effect. He said he would teach us. Although, to be honest, I am not in the least intimidated by this Alpha plane. 8-) (hope those aren't famous last words)

And yes, we bought it from Ron at Going Western on Navy Road. I bought a PT-40 from him years ago but never finished it. Sold it back to him. Actually ended up being 32 cents cheaper than mail order. (with overnight shipping)
Old 08-17-2006, 04:41 PM
NightOne

ORIGINAL: LonestarMan

Take it from me ,you made the right choice. Sometimes slick marketing and ads can lit'en your wallet sooner than you like. A warbird is a warbird no matter what crap they hang on it!!!
That stuck in the back of my mind. Many years ago when all of the A schools were still on the Navy base in Millington, I seen many a young sailor buy and build one of those Top Flite Corsairs. After 3-4 months of building this beautiful plane, they took it out back to the concrete parking lot to fly. I must have seen 10 of them totally demolished in minutes over the course of a couple of years. Never saw a successful flight. Most of them never got more than 25 feet or so off the ground.

I'd love to fly a war bird some day, but I still think they are a little tricky for beginners. (even slowed down)
Old 08-17-2006, 04:54 PM
bruce88123

And a Corsair is said to be one of the trickiest, even in full scale.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:25 PM
Missileman

I just bought the H9 P-51 in an ARF version. If all goes well I will maiden her on Sunday. I will let you know how it goes.
Some would say the PTS P-51 is a good first trainer and some would argue against it. Most of those arguing one way or the other have never actually flown one so I will reserve my opinion until I have actually flown it.
This will be my third airplane and first taildragger.
If what I have read is true you may consider the PTS Mustang as a viable second airplane and with the release of the ARF it is now more cost effective.
I do agree that no matter how comfortable you feel with your trainer get on a buddy box anyway, better safe than sorry.
PS: Millington brings back some memories, I did my A school there way back when
Old 08-17-2006, 11:45 PM
NightOne

Opened up the Alpha tonight and plugged the charger into the transmitter and receiver. Read the books a couple of times. We'll get her "built" tomorrow. This looks too easy to put together.

Played around with the included simulator on the Windows laptop for a little while but couldn't get it to work correctly. Had to use an IO Gear Serial to USB adapter I had laying around since the included cable is DB9. Not sure if it is suitable for the application but the software does see the radio and the controls sort of work some of the time. Read afterwards that I should have turned the transmitter on, but it appeared to somewhat work with it off. Not sure if it is the USB adapter, uncharged battery, or user error at this point. Will try again tomorrow night. (maybe)

Stopped by Mid South hobbies on the way home and picked up a gallon of fuel, a hand pump, rubberbands, and some fuel tubing.

Looked at a Hobbico TorqMaster 90 starter and that battery pack that attaches directly to it. Looked cheap (especially the plastic box that contains the battery) so I didn't buy it. The had a total of 1 type of glow ignitor which I didn't like either. MSH isn't bad, but I can't say I am crazy about the place.

Finally, debated about taking the bolt-on wing route but decided to stick with the rubberband method. A hundred or so messages here confirm that decision, but the bolt on looks a lot cooler.

Still hoping to fly Saturday morning.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and feedback.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:14 AM
bruce88123

Missleman - I have flown the PTS and I'd rather see it in the hands of someone that has some flying behind him. At least solo'd so I guess that would make it a "second plane" IMO. Then the "gadgets" could be removed in quick order too as the pilot gets used to it. A quick learner could be flying a clean airframe in less than a dozen flights if it is his second plane.

Nightone - Try Hobby Town out near Wolfchase Mall. They have a fair selection, although they lean more toward cars/trucks IMO. A bit out of the way for you I know, me too.[:@]
Old 08-18-2006, 10:12 PM
NightOne

Nightone - Try Hobby Town out near Wolfchase Mall. They have a fair selection, although they lean more toward cars/trucks IMO. A bit out of the way for you I know, me too.[:@]
My dad and I went by Going Western this afternoon and picked up the last of the flying supplies. Bought some cables that plug into the receiver and transmitter to check voltage. Checked it with a standard volt meter. I'll check out the Hobby Town some time, but the place on Navy Road seems to have everything you could want. I just wish they were open until 7 in the evening instead of 5.

Got the plane "built" this evening. Trimmed everything up by sight. Rudder needed about 3 turns out on back clevis and the right aileron clevis needed about 5 turns out. Everything else looked good. Plane is now ready to go for the morning. Documentation was fairly good, but still had a few issues. You would think they would have gotten it perfected by now. However, it was amazing how fast and easy it is to get to the flying field. RTF is really just that.

Tried the flight sim on the laptop again with the IO Gear Serial to USB cable with the same results. Installed the software on one of the desktops in the house and went directly into the Com port and it works now. My dad flew for about 15-20 minutes and crash 5 times.

Hopefully, we don't crack it up this weekend.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:05 PM
NightOne

We made it to the field and flew the Alpha 60. we flew it 3 times. The instructor took it off on all occasions. I flew, my Dad flew, and my wife flew. I landed the plane on my flight.

I have a lot of work to do on plane placement, but I felt fairly comfortable.

All the advice here was good. It really is a stable flier. (expected it to be slower) I felt more comfortable flying at 3/4 or less throttle. I did not expect that to be the case before going.

We did have to use our instructor's rapid field charger before the 3rd flight as the voltmeter showed that the receiver battery was borderline.

Thanks to all for the help and advice
Old 08-20-2006, 07:17 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty cool stuff. Kind of surprising how you would not think this thing would fly that fast, but it moves right along. After a number of flights, it will seem kind of normal for you, and you will be used to it. Then you will be trying manuvers all over the place, trying to find the limits on it. You will find that this thing can be pushed quite hard, every few flights you will find some new respect for it as it ends up doing mostly everything you ask of it. You will really get kick out of it. Congrats....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.