Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Are most radios left hand throttle controlled?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Are most radios left hand throttle controlled?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 02:17 AM
Coopz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are most radios left hand throttle controlled?

Hi, looking at getting into RC planes as a side hobby. Wa slooking at buying the RealFlight sim to learn some basics. Just says on the box that the included pc controller is left hand throttle controlled. They seem to make a big deal out of this, just wondering if this is the standard?

RealFlight any good? The demo seemed alright, bit pricey though...
Old 08-16-2006, 03:33 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Are most radios left hand throttle controlled?

Yes, all that I am aware of are left hand throttle control. Some, however have left aileron and right rudder controls. I believe that is in Europe. The US ones are standard with left throttle/rudder and right elevator/aileron. I have had the opportunity to play around with Realflight G2 and G3 and found that I like G2 better. If you need the best graphics get G3 if you want an easy interface and not have your plane disintigrate every time you perform a basic loop get G2.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:47 AM
alan0899

G'day Mate,
Here in Aus about 90% of radio's sold for RC aircraft are right stick Aileron/ throttle, left stick Rudder/ elevator, known as mode 1, in the US, they seem to like mode 2, right aileron/ elevator, & left rudder/throttle.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:51 AM
alan0899

G'day again mate,
have a look at FMS, it's free, & not bad either. go to this web site. http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html
Old 08-16-2006, 11:55 AM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: Coopz

Hi, looking at getting into RC planes as a side hobby. Wa slooking at buying the RealFlight sim to learn some basics. Just says on the box that the included pc controller is left hand throttle controlled. They seem to make a big deal out of this, just wondering if this is the standard?
There are 4 "Stick Modes" for RC transmitters. Attached is a picture. Mode 2 is dominant in the US. Mode 1 is common is soime parts of the world. Modes 3 and 4 are not common. They are 'left-handed' versions of the other two modes. Not all transmitters are available in modes 3 or 4. Most Futaba computer transmitters can be set for any mode in the software but you might have to open the case to move the throttle detent and elevator centering spring.

<<< edit >>> I use a Futaba 6XAS transmitter set up for Mode 3.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18274.jpg
Views:	1276
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	508199  
Old 08-16-2006, 12:17 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: Coopz

RealFlight any good? The demo seemed alright, bit pricey though...
I have only fooled around with realflight at the hobby shop. It seems pretty good but no simulator will ever really be like flying an actual model. I guess it might be more realistic with a 100 inch screen above eye level but the perspective is all wrong on a 19 inch PC monitor.

Realflight is available with the controller set for Mode 1 or Mode 2. I don't knoow how difficult, or expensive, it is for you to order from the US but I included links to a source that has both modes in stock.

Mode 2, throttle on left stick. Manufacturer Stock # GPMZ4400
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXHXV6&P=3

Mode 1, throttle on right stick. Manufacturer Stock # GPMZ4401
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXJAS8&P=3

If you will be hooking up your own transmitter to the controller it doesn't matter which version you get. When you set up the software for your transmitter you can assign the functions any way you want.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:48 PM
rctrax

I tried FMS for a while but found it was not exceptable as too much of the imaging was innaccurate such as when you came to a stop with a taildragger the tail stayed up in the air and if you lowered it with the stick in would go on below ground level. This is only one axample. There were many more examples of unrealistic conditions.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:15 AM
Coopz

Thanks for the help guys
Old 08-21-2006, 08:36 PM
forestroke

i guess if australia is right hand throttle then it would be important for the realflight to warn you that it's not Mode 1 (right hand throttle). i suggest that you learn to fly in the mode that everyone else around you flies. makes for teaching much easier. you can get realflight in Mode 1 as well and that would be the right way to go.

i only have G2 but i am satisfied with it. still comes no where close to flying the real thing but it's good practice and a great way to start out. good luck!
Old 09-12-2006, 02:17 PM
tony221264

Hows about this
reasign the channels on the sim from one mode to the other and just turn the tranny upside down so the ariel is at the bottom, it works great, especially when its been set up for mode one and a mode two flyer has a go and can't understand why the throttle is on full as soon as they press the start button
Old 09-12-2006, 05:17 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Follow this link [link]http://www.gpsoftware.com/kb/q01-1024.htm[/link] . It goes to RealFlight's home page support section. They have an article about changing the transmitter from mode 2 to mode 1. This is what you will need to do so that the throttle is "on the other side"

Hope this helps

Ken