Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Cleaning IC Engines

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Cleaning IC Engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Bluesun9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning IC Engines

Hi All;

Being new to this hobby I was wondering if there is a liquid that I can soak a IC engine in that will clean it inside and out. Thanks

Bob..
Old 08-16-2006, 01:33 PM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Cleaning IC Engines

This is a question that comes up a lot. There are a couple of different methods that are reputed to work well. Personally I have only used the boiling it in anti-freeze method. It worked very well but has since been brought to my attention that it is not very good for the environment, & it can also be a fire hazard if you aren't carefull. I did it in the back yard on the side burner of my gas Bar-B-Q in an old coffee can. It was a 30yr. old+ OS .60 engine that was completely froze up, couldn't turn it over at all. It came loose & in a fairly short time came out looking like it was brand new inside & out. I have also been told since then that it may eat up the rubber o-rings. So far everything still looks like new but we will see.

piper chuck has a method using rubbing alcohol & the oven I believe, that sounded much safer & cleaner to me. I will let him tell it though as I don't want to mis-quote him.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:44 PM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Antifreeze in an old crock pot set to "simmer" works quite well. Don't boil the antifreeze because it'll etch the metal on the engine, inside and out.

And the cheaper the antifreeze, the better it seems to work.

Make sure you clearly mark the crock pot for use only with antifreeze, not Beef Stew!
Old 08-16-2006, 01:45 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 358 Likes on 288 Posts

Cooking on low in a crock pot with true ethelene glycol works wonders but if its just looks you are after just leave it be unless you have a compelling reason to take apart the engine its best to follow the "if its not broke don't fix it" theory.

You have to remove the carb, and any paper gaskets or o-rings to do it correctly.

Also stay away from the fumes and don't eat out of the crock ever again, I bought a 5 dollar yard sale special just for this.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:45 PM
BillS

ORIGINAL: Bluesun9

Hi All;

Being new to this hobby I was wondering if there is a liquid that I can soak a IC engine in that will clean it inside and out. Thanks

Bob..
Antifreeze.

Bill
Old 08-16-2006, 04:28 PM
Bluesun9

I want to thank everyone that has guided me in the right direction on cleaning up a old IC engine. I shall try the crock pot method as soon as I find one at a yard sale. Thanks again.

Bob...
Old 08-16-2006, 10:42 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Even new, they cost about $10 so it's not a show stopper. Simmer on the lowest setting for a day, then wash off parts with cold water while using a brush. Extremely varnished parts might then need a second day.

An ultrasonic cleaner is also a very useful accessory for cleaning engine parts.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:51 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

.... Simmer on the lowest setting for a day......
Make sure you do this outside. The fumes that will come off of the anti-freeze are toxic and will cause lots of health problems for anybody in the house.

Ken
Old 08-17-2006, 09:26 AM
doubledee
My Feedback: (4)

The antifreeze required to clean your engine is extremely toxic to the environment. You need to dispose of it properly as it is considered toxic waste. I would recommend that before you use it check with your local landfill or a quickie oil change station to see if you can dispose of it there. Dogs also absolutely love it, so if you leave it where a dog can get to it he will be deadly poisoned with no good antidote. It is bad stuff and I personally wouldn't recommend it's use.
Dawn power dissolver is a better alternative, check the glow engine forum as there is discussion about it there.
Regards,
doubledee
Old 08-19-2006, 02:59 PM
DFlight

I had a muffler that was gunked up pretty good. I put the muffler in zip lock bag with about 1/4 cup of househould amonia and let it set overnight or longer, then just washed it off with dish soup and a brush. It came out looking pretty good. It doesn't have to sit in the amonia just be enclosed with the amonia vapors.
I used this alot in the military when moving out of housing and had to clean the oven racks and drip pans on burners and it saved me alot of elbow grease not to mention many brillo pads. I figured since the fuel uses alot of mineral oil for lubication that this was the same all the grease used on a stove. I not sure what the amonia will do to the internal components of the engine, probably nothing.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:21 PM
dale50001

Wal*Mart has Crock Pots for under $10.00
Old 08-29-2006, 04:57 PM
bruce88123

saw a crock pot cook book for less than $10 but also saw this
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3957091