Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Engine Problems

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Engine Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Fandain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Problems

Hey,

I recently had a crash with my hangar 9 alpha 40 trainer, I was doing some rolls and kind of lost control....

So, I fixed everything and the damage was not too bad but somehow my high speed needle broke and now I have problems adjusting the new one. I read some articles where they said, you got to open the throttle to full and pinch the fuel line. But my problems starts earlier, when I try to put the throttle over about 30-40% the engine slows down, sometimes after a moment it starts to speed up again, but I don't really get it to 100% and sometimes it just dies. So I figured my high speed adjustment is too lean so I put it 3 1/2 turn out, but then it doesn't die, but it doesn't really let me go to 100%, because it doesn't speed up and after it does and I go to 100% it dies.

What shall I do?

Thanks
Old 08-16-2006, 07:47 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engine Problems

There could be more damage to the carb than the broken high speed needle. I'd send it to Horizon or let someone from your club take a look.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Phlip

ATGNAT is probably right, but if you just can't wait, there are a couple more things that can be mentioned, and some more info needed. You say you "put it 3 1/2 turns out." Do you mean from closed? Or additional turns from where it was?

If you can get the engine running, wide open throttle (WOT) and it keeps running, no matter how poorly, you should be able to make adjustments to the needle and get the high speed needle adjusted right. If you can't accomplish that, then there is likely something else wrong.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:01 PM
Fandain

ok, I'm going to try this again, maybe I just oversaw something, but normaly if the engine quits it's because of lean adjustments, right?

I turned it 3 1/2 out from the point, where it is closed
Old 08-16-2006, 08:02 PM
Phlip

Further, if you get the high speed tuned right, then, and only then, should you worry about the idle.

Assuming you get the WOT adjustment right, then throttle back and see if the engine will idle.

Actually, before you do any of this, I wonder, did you get all the dirt cleaned out of everything before you replaced the needle?

Phil
Old 08-16-2006, 08:05 PM
Phlip

ORIGINAL: Fandain

ok, I'm going to try this again, maybe I just oversaw something, but normaly if the engine quits it's because of lean adjustments, right?
Could be lean, could be rich. Do you get heavy smoke or spitting raw fuel from the exhaust? Then it would be too rich.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:06 PM
Fandain

well, i cleaned the engine before I started to put it in, but I did not pull it apart, I just cleaned the outside.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:08 PM
Fandain

I turned it 3 1/2 out from the point, where it is closed

and ther was some smoke, but not too much. Also when I put it on idle it runs perfect, really smooth and ofcause I don't have a lot of experience but I don't hear anything wrong, sounds just like on the last time when it flew perfect.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:12 PM
brent0609

Hey, i had lots of problems tuning my alpha trainer, when i got it last year. Im still learning to tune my rc engiines.I might be wrong wrong but maybe you just need some experianced help. dissregard this if you allready have had some. I still ask guys at our field " is that the high end or low end causing that? think its rich or too lean?" btw i have my evolution trainer engine in my slowpoke now, pulls it very well. good luck
Old 08-16-2006, 08:14 PM
Phlip

OK, it's running well at idle, see if you can gently get it to WOT. If it dies on you as you slowly throttle up, just open the needle 1/4 turn, and try again. If it's improved, but still dies, open it another 1/4 turn and try again. If it's worse, try closing the needle 1/4 turn and try again. But I bet you need to open the needle a bit more.

Once you get it running WOT, open the needle with it running until the engine slows noticibly. Then slowly close it until the RPMs peak, then open it slightly til it just slows again ... the end result is you're just on the rich side of the RPM peak.

Then see how the throttle responds.

Good luck,

Phil
Old 08-16-2006, 08:16 PM
Fandain

no, I don't really have a lot of experice in tuning and I'm going to ask them at my flying flied, but with all the stuff i have to do at home now I won't be getting there the next 2 weeks or so and I thought maybe I just ask you online.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:19 PM
Fandain

ok, thanks I going to try this this evening thanks
Old 08-17-2006, 05:36 PM
Fandain

Thanks guys-

I tuned it and now it doesn't die and it goes from 40% to 100% really fast.[8D]
Old 08-18-2006, 08:15 PM
brent0609

Good for you Fandain.Think i should print that and read it 20 times ,thanks phill. (maybe ill put it in my field box, good memory ,just short)