Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Changing TX channels, Myth or Fact?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Changing TX channels, Myth or Fact?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 03:29 PM
Missileman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing TX channels, Myth or Fact?

I have been told by people here on RCU that changing the channel on your transmitter by simply changing crystals is illegal.
I have been told by 3 different hobby shops as well as numerous people in my club that it is not.
What is the truth and what FCC regulation states this?
Note: this started when I was in search for a crystal for a reciever I had and couldn't find one localy on my channel, the hobby shop owner offered to sell me a set on a different channel and said I could change both (I didn't buy the set but I did ask around)
Old 09-27-2006, 03:36 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Changing TX channels, Myth or Fact?

He lied to you, although it may have been unintentional. Look at the references Ken just posted in the previous thread you were on.

You should tell the LHS's that they are advising people to violate Federal Regulations.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:46 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any chance you could give us a link to Ken's post. I have no clue as to where to look, and I am interested in this topic.

Thank you

Don
Old 09-27-2006, 03:50 PM
Missileman

I started here but deleted my post, didn't want to hijack
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4799720/tm.htm
Old 09-27-2006, 03:55 PM
bruce88123

I wouldn't have considered it a hijack as it was a closely related question but thanks for caring.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

FCC rules state that unless you are a certified technician (I am not sure what area ) it is illeagle to change the crystal in the transmitter.

That being said, a lot of people do do change the transmitter crystals illeagly. I don't know what the fine is if you are caught, but I imagine it is not cheap.

That is why I like my Tracker radio - fully synthysized. I just pick the channel I want (on 72 mhz) and I am all set.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:29 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's the same thing I posted in the other thread.

If you are interested in the full text of the regulations concerning this matter they can be found at:

[link=http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_04/47cfr95_04.html]FCC Title 47, Part 95 - Personal Radio Services[/link]

Copied from Futaba's website
How do I change the frequency of my transmitter?
For a unit with crystals: We CANNOT recommend changing crystals to a different frequency. Changing the crystal on your transmitter is illegal unless you have the proper license. The FCC has established guidelines for the modeler's safety and for the safety of spectators. For safety and FCC reasons we must request that both TX and RX be sent to the service center to ensure proper crystal change and retuning to the new frequency. Crystal based radios cannot be converted to another band without parts replacement, and may not be able to be converted at all. Certain radios can be converted, for example, from 72 to 75MHz. Please contact the service center for any other conversions.
The applicable Federal Regulation is as follows:
TITLE 47—TELECOMMUNICATION COMMISSION (CONTINUED)
PART 95—PERSONAL RADIO SERVICES

Subpart E—Technical Regulations
Sec. 95.645 Control accessibility.
(a) No control, switch or other type of adjustment which, when
manipulated, can result in a violation of the rules shall be accessible
from the transmitter operating panel or from exterior of the transmitter
enclosure.
(b) An R/C transmitter which incorporates plug-in frequency
determining modules which are changed by the user must be certificated
with the modules. Each module must contain all of the frequency
determining circuitry including the oscillator. Plug-in crystals are not
considered modules and must not be accessible to the user.

Copied from FCC regulations concerning this issue

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 47, Volume 5]
[Revised as of October 1, 2004]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 47CFR95.221]
[Page 539]
TITLE 47--TELECOMMUNICATION CHAPTER I--FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION (CONTINUED)
PART 95_PERSONAL RADIO SERVICES--Table of Contents
Subpart C_Radio Control (R/C) Radio Service
Sec. 95.221 (R/C Rule 21) How do I have my R/C transmitter serviced?
(a) You may adjust an antenna to your R/C transmitter and you may make radio checks. (A radio check means a one-way transmission for a short time in order to test the transmitter.)
(b) You are responsible for the proper operation of the station at all times and are expected to provide for observations, servicing and maintenance as often as may be necessary to ensure proper operation. Each internal repair and each internal adjustment to an FCC certificated R/C transmitter (see R/C Rule 9) must be made in accord with the Technical Regulations (see subpart E). The internal repairs or internal adjustments should be performed by or under the immediate supervision and responsibility of a person certified as technically qualified to perform transmitter maintenance and repair duties in the private land mobile services and fixed services by an organization or committee representative of users in those services.
(c) Except as provided in paragraph
(d) of this section, each internal repair and each internal adjustment of an R/C transmitter in which signals are transmitted must be made using a nonradiating (``dummy'') antenna. (d) Brief test signals (signals not longer than one minute during any five minute period) using a radiating antenna may be transmitted in order to:
(1) Adjust a transmitter to an antenna;
(2) Detect or measure radiation of energy other than the intended signal; or
(3) Tune a receiver to your R/C transmitter.

(Secs. 4(i) and 303(r), Communications Act of 1934, as amended, 47 U.S.C. 154(i) and 303(r), and sec. 553 of the Administrative Procedures Act, 5 U.S.C. 553) [48 FR 24890, June 3, 1983, as amended at 49 FR 20673, May 16, 1984; 63 FR 36610, July 7, 1998]

[Title 47, Volume 5]
[CITE: 47CFR95.222]
[Page 539-540]
TITLE 47--TELECOMMUNICATION
CHAPTER I--FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS
COMMISSION (CONTINUED)
Subpart C_Radio Control (R/C) Radio Service
Sec. 95.222 (R/C Rule 22) May I make any changes to my R/C station transmitter?

(a) You must not make or have anyone else make an internal modification to your R/C transmitter.
(b) Internal modification does not include:
(1) Repair or servicing of an R/C station transmitter (see R/C Rule 21, Sec. 95.221); or
(2) Changing plug-in modules which were certificated as part of your R/C transmitter.
(c) You must not operate an R/C transmitter which has been modified by anyone in any way, including modification to operate on unauthorized frequencies or with illegal power. (See R/C Rules 9 and 10, Sec. Sec. 95.209 and 95.210.)
[48 FR 24894, June 3, 1983, as amended at 63 FR 36610, July 7, 1998]

[Title 47, Volume 5]
[CITE: 47CFR95.645]
[Page 561]
TITLE 47--TELECOMMUNICATION
CHAPTER I--FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS
COMMISSION (CONTINUED)
Subpart E_Technical Regulations
Sec. 95.645 Control accessibility.
(a) No control, switch or other type of adjustment which, when manipulated, can result in a violation of the rules shall be accessible
from the transmitter operating panel or from exterior of the transmitter enclosure.
(b) An R/C transmitter which incorporates plug-in frequency determining modules which are changed by the user must be certificated
with the modules. Each module must contain all of the frequency determining circuitry including the oscillator. Plug-in crystals are not
[53 FR 36789, Sept. 22, 1988. Redesignated at 61 FR 28769, June 6, 1996, and further redesignated at 61 FR 46567, Sept. 4, 1996; 63 FR 36610, July 7, 1998]
Old 09-27-2006, 04:30 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

my question is this,when you order a radio from lets say tower?they ask you what channel,all they do is plug in a crystal and put a freq,sticker on the radio.that being said,who would know if you changed your transmitter freq?this is just a hypothetical question.its my understanding that these radios are either low band high band,and depending where you purchased it from,mode 1 or2.is there any internal number specifying it to be on the channel it was sent with?i might be wrong but will any high band crystal fit a radio that has that designation.and if you buy a second hand radio and the crystal was changed is it illegal to buy it?
Old 09-27-2006, 04:41 PM
skiman762

Does this mean JR tx are in violation of federal law since the crystal is right there on the back accessible to the user?
where are Futaba crystals located ?
Old 09-27-2006, 04:41 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Transmitters have a sticker on them and often the crystal cover has a tag denoting the frequency, I believe the big shops stock well enough to serve requests. Actually as I remember, the sealed box has a sticker with the channel number.

In any case its illegal to swap crystals in a transmitter or the crystal in a transmitter module, it violates type acceptance. You or whomever changes it needs to proper equipment and technical know how to ensure that the transmitter is within specs. There are three reasons, 1 if its off freqency you could interfere with other models. 2, we are freeloaders in the band, there is big paying commercial users between our channels, cause interference with them and you will find out what the fcc can/will do and 3, if there were a serious accident and post crash analysis indicated an illegal freq change you could be paying the freight yourself.

Synth units, and units that you change the freqency by changing the whole RF module are legal to change.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:51 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: horace315

my question is this,when you order a radio from lets say tower?they ask you what channel,all they do is plug in a crystal and put a freq,sticker on the radio.that being said,who would know if you changed your transmitter freq?this is just a hypothetical question.its my understanding that these radios are either low band high band,and depending where you purchased it from,mode 1 or2.is there any internal number specifying it to be on the channel it was sent with?i might be wrong but will any high band crystal fit a radio that has that designation.and if you buy a second hand radio and the crystal was changed is it illegal to buy it?
Tower has a large number of radios in stock and they tell you in their ads which channels they have available at the time of order. I'm sure they also have access to a shop where they can have them changed if absolutely needed. They are not going to break the law and change crystals and ship to you. Ask BAX if you doubt this. He is the Futaba rep on the Futaba support forum. "all they do is plug in a crystal and put a freq,sticker on the radio" That's plain ludicrous, sorry. Your LHS may pull that crap. [:'(]
Old 09-27-2006, 04:52 PM
WCB

The FBI has a special branch with the sole mission of identifying criminals who have changed their transmitter crystal. They hit your shop in the middle of the night with a SWAT team and seize the offending transmitter. Then they haul you off to an undisclosed location and interrogate you for hours and show you satellite images (obtained from the CIA) of you actually operating the illegal device in order to coerce a confession. You're toast! Better hope they didn't find those pillows you tore the tag off in violation of Federal law! That's another whole can of worms.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:11 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: WCB

The FBI has a special branch with the sole mission of identifying criminals who have changed their transmitter crystal........
While all of this may sound very silly, there are very good reasons why this is regulated here in the US. To put it at it's base level, airwaves are at a premium in this country. The bandwidth that we use is regulated and restricted for our use, and our use only. This of course is a good thing because we don't want our expensive planes crashing because somebody used a garage door opener. Right??? Well, the FCC does this same thing for other frequencies too. In fact, within the bandwidth we use are other frequencies that are used by other things in this country. For instance, anybody that has every flown in a town that has a television station on channel 4 knows that the RC channel 20 is usually not usable. This is because of bleed over (not always, but sometimes) from the television station. When the crystal in a radio is changed the repair facility has to ensure the the radio is indeed broadcasting on the proper frequency and within set power output standards. If they are not the repair facility makes the adjustments. Now, what happens when somebody decides to change their own frequencies?? Worst case scenario here, but still very very plausible. Let's so "Joe Nobody" changes his transmitter from channel 60 to channel 20, and the output power is off and he is now interfering with "W-something or another" channel 4 television station's broadcast. They call the FCC to report the interference. FCC comes out with a spectrum analyser and scans for the interference. They find "Joe Nobody" flying his $100 ARF at the local field. FCC shuts down the field for starters, and to ensure that this doesn't happen any longer they revoke the frequencies we use and sell them to somebody else.

Ok, sound silly? Maybe a little far fetched, but still possible. There are a lot of people that would love to get the frequencies that we use for our RC planes. The FCC has set those aside for us to use, but they put these rules on their use in ensure that we don't interfere with people using other close frequencies for commercial use. I for one appreciate the fact that we have these frequencies set aside for us and I'm more than happy to follow these rules for their use.

Hope this helps clear it up.

Ken
Old 09-27-2006, 05:12 PM
raideron
My Feedback: (1)

Are we getting a bit off base on this subject... The law states as Ken has it listed..
I am most likely wrong... But I did not think installing/removing the correct ordered
set for the radio would be a problem... For me IMO it's to not deviate from the said set
that your ordered that had been tuned and checked from the manf...

It's true you would most likely never get caught.... But there are safety issues.... And
low and behold, don't get what ever agency P.O'd at you and have them find out that
you did it, You'd most likely find out what that statement/penalty meant then
Old 09-27-2006, 05:18 PM
hogflyer

On the flip side, those rules also protect us making sure other's don't cause interference on our frequencies, ensuring we can safely operate our aircraft with out fear of crashing or worse....

Hogflyer
Old 09-27-2006, 05:59 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

Ken i understand rules,we all have to abide by them,i guess some things are so simple we take them for granted.
and Brucie i asked a question not made a statement.I'm sure they use robots or might even plug them in by hand on an assembly line,i was curious if they actually had that many in stock,or did they do their own?
Old 09-27-2006, 06:53 PM
skiman762

Now that all the legal stuff is out on the open
anyone want to guess how many TX have had the crystals changed ?
I'll guess 50% or better
Old 09-27-2006, 08:50 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: hogflyer

On the flip side, those rules also protect us making sure other's don't cause interference on our frequencies, ensuring we can safely operate our aircraft with out fear of crashing or worse....

Hogflyer

Bingo!

A recent death of two people at an RC airshow in Europe was beleived to be caused by an area transmitter tower that just happened to be on the similar/same frequency as a giant scale airplane
Old 09-27-2006, 09:33 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

You know, this isn't going to come out right but it's only an observation. The FCC's enforcement of its policies and regulations ranks right up their with my odds of winning the powerball lottery. I have been around aviation for over 30 years in one respect or another. As long as we have Howard Stern,The Daily Show, Cable and Dish network, changing out a tx crystal is not even last on their list but they probably wouldn't even know what the heck your talking about if you asked them!
Old 09-27-2006, 09:37 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: skiman762

Does this mean JR tx are in violation of federal law since the crystal is right there on the back accessible to the user?
where are Futaba crystals located ?
Futaba crystals are plugged into the front of the transmitter. There is a tiny drop of glue on one corner of the crystal cover, attaching it to the case. You have to “break” the transmitter to remove the crystal. I have to assume their legal team determined this was enough of a ‘good faith effort’ to keep them out of court if a renegade customer changes crystals and creates a problem.

Since many of their transmitters are sold all over the world, and some locations do not have channel change restrictions, they don’t want the unit destroyed when those customers break the crystal cover loose from the case.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Campgems

I'ts more than just changing the crystal. The RF final has to be tuned to that crystal. If you changed just one channel, your final would be close, but from one end of the band to the next, your output would drop considerable, and what was transmitted, would not be clean. Back in the late 60's, I built a transmitter, receiver and five servos from a Royal Clasic kit. There was a lot of fine tuning that went on. I ended up borrowing an O scope from work to get it tuned correctly. That was in the days of citizen band, 27mhz radios. I think the FCC put the kits out of business.

Don

Old 09-27-2006, 10:35 PM
doubledee
My Feedback: (4)

I have a $4000 dollar airplane and am flying it at your flying field. You arbitrarily change the crystal in your transmitter and because iyour transmitter hasn't been retuned to the discreet frequency it slops over onto my channel and causes my airplane to crash. I am going to be very, very, very upset and I can almost guarantee that you will be buying me a new aircraft.
DON'T CHANGE YOUR TRANSMITTER CRYSTAL WITHOUT HAVING THE TRANSMITTER RETUNED!!!!

doubledee
Old 09-28-2006, 06:32 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: skiman762

Now that all the legal stuff is out on the open
anyone want to guess how many TX have had the crystals changed ?
I'll guess 50% or better
That's a pretty sad commentary on your fellow modelers.[:@]
Old 09-28-2006, 07:42 AM
bruce88123

No two crystals, even of the same channel, are identical or on the same freq except by chance. Do you guys realize that a crystal is a "rock" that has been cut to "vibrate" at a particular frequency when stimulated? It's darn hard to cut "rocks" identically. That's why there are are circuits in the radio to make up for the differences in the "rocks". And these "rocks" can have defects which can cause problems which the shop can detect on a spectrum analyzer during setup.

And I don't care how many people have already changed their own crystals ILLEGALLY, it's still Illegal and the wrong thing to do. If you can't afford to send your radio to a shop, stop flying. That's my opinion. [:@]
Old 09-28-2006, 07:47 AM
AA5BY

If I recall correctly... Futaba back in the '70-'80s certified their transmitters compliant one up or one down... giving a three channel option. Changing the crytal by the owner one up or one down did not void the compliance.

But, times seemed to have changed at least with my JR. Its manual does not offer such compliance, saying that no owner frequency changes are permitted, though a Ham ticket might provide the freedom to change frequency and adjust ones own transmitter... please don't stone me if I'm wrong, I said, "might".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.