Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Funtana 90 question >

Funtana 90 question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Funtana 90 question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funtana 90 question

Just wanted you knowledgeable types to offer your opinions on this.

I have an opportunity to get a two year old new in box Funtana 90 (the yellow one) for $100 CAD. I read that a Saito 100 FA was a good match for this aircraft. Wouldn't this be too much engine for this plane? If so, what would be a better choice engine? Is there anything I should be wary of if I'm looking to buy a used engine sight unseen, such as off ebay?

Could there be any issues with an ARF that has been sitting around for two years? I'm thinking brittle covering, glue joints, or hardware etc. Could anything like this be an issue if its been stored in a hot / dry or cold / damp place?

Thanks for any info!

Old 10-03-2006, 02:03 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Funtana 90 question

A Saito 100 should be a good match for this airframe. If you want to fly it aggressively, you should like the combination. I'd bet if you run into any folks flying a Funtana 90 and practicing 3D with them, you'll actually run into a few folks flying them with Saito 125s. I'm not recommending this myself, but the trend seems to be powering your plane so that it can hover at just above idle on the throttle (ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a little).

Saito engines tend to be lighter weight when compared to most other brands with the same displacement, so they're a good choice for maximizing your available power without throwing off the balance of the plane.

If you buy a used engine off of EBay, just make sure you bid on one from somebody with a good feedback rating who deals with a lot of R/C airplane equipment. Somebody with a good reputation for R/C airplane equipment won't risk bad feedback just to unload one bad engine. Saito engines are very tough, but they need to be broken in reliably and they need to have their valve clearances measured and adjusted properly. Don't assume the previous owner did either of these steps correctly. Spend the same time breaking in and checking your used Saito as you would a brand new one; a little extra attention on the ground might save you a lot of headaches while in the air later.

Nothing can happen to an ARF that has been sitting around for two years that couldn't already be wrong with a brand new one shipped to your favorite hobby store. Inspect the covering and iron out wrinkles. Check for warped or damaged pieces of the airframe. Inspect all of the included hardware and look for missing pieces before you begin building. Reinforce the firewall or any other accessible glue joints that don't inspire confidence when you're checking through the ARF.

The Funtana 90 is a great airframe and you should have fun building and flying it. While no ARF can be guaranteed perfect, Hangar 9 products are consistently excellent in quality. An ARF that sat around for a year or two shouldn't cause any unusual problems. With Saito engines, however, you might want to be aware of any "bargains" that seem too good to be true. Used Saito engines fetch very high resale prices. Saito engines are expensive because they're worth it and they're highly sought after. If somebody is willing to dump one for well below regular retail pricing, you need to triple check the facts and ask a lot of questions. Since current retail for the Saito 100 is $279.99 U.S., you should be suspicious of any used Saito 100 engine being offered for less than about $225 U.S.

Good luck, and enjoy your shopping.