Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

nitro model rc planes

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

nitro model rc planes

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 07:07 PM
trex39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro model rc planes

HELLO GENTLEMEN JUST WANT TO ASK IF YOU ALL ARE FAMILiAR WITH THIS COMPANY NITRO RC PLANES ARE THEY OF GOOD QUALITY ARE THEY AMERICAN MADE?
Old 10-09-2006, 07:14 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: nitro model rc planes

Trex39,
No, the Nitro Models planes are not American made. They are made in China and are actually sold here in the US by several different companies. Since I don't have any direct experience with Nitro Models themselves I won't comment on them directly.

Ken
Old 10-09-2006, 08:23 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

If your new to this hobby, stay away from them. They look good out of the box and the prices are tempting but don't do it. You get what you pay for so to speak. If you look at the other Forums there is much discussion about CMP planes. Many of the people who say they're are great ARF planes are usually the ones who make a profit out of advertising, and they say they are good or great fantastic planes for the buck.

The Hardware that comes with CMP planes is terrible and worthless, everything strips or the screws aren't long enough. The manual ( if you get one ) in the kit are vague. The recommended CG ( if it's listed ) on the manual is way off. Nitro planes and all CMP planes do not sell extra parts. The paint easily chips off, the covering loosens and wrinkles in the sunlight. The stock landing gears are crooked and the measurements for DC for the Cowel and engine block are way off. No matter who says anything good about CMP, don't believe them. I was tricked and lost $260 bucks by people telling me they were a good ARF in these Forums.

If you want good quality, buy Great Planes, Hanger 9, Graupner, Sig and Goldberg and or Skyshark. I have seen some $700 ARF's out there that are good and bad, you always take that chance I suppose. All ARF kits have one bad kit out of many, so if you order a plane and something is off or broken etc etc. Just contact the manufacture or Hobby Shop for a replacement as soon as possible.

If you call CMP for any problems, there customer service lacks greatly... and they can hardly speak English. They basically told me that I was out of luck. When they did call me it was a waisted phone call, and I was told from a friend of mine that I was lucky even to get the phone call.

I took my plane and busted it up and threw it in the trash can, and I'm glad I did... it wasn't worth putting $1000 worth of equipment and motor into it.

Peter Dowling aka Luftwaffe Oberst
AMA District II # 865404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old 10-09-2006, 10:30 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OKay guys, let him have it!

Do a search here for Nitroplanes
Old 10-10-2006, 08:14 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If anyone saw my review of their P-38 you saw that I have coined the term "Builder's ARF" (A play-on-words of the term "Builder's Kit" )

I have seen several Nitromodels planes, and they make some nice airframes at a very low price, but be prepared to do a lot of re-engineering and replace most of the hardware.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:12 PM
opjose

I've put together two different sized Ultimates from Nitroplanes.

They are not completely horrid, but they do have their problems. My Model Tech plane is far worst than the Nitroplanes ARFs.

If you can deal with working around minor problems, the ARF prices are OK.

But yes, the covering does not remove cleanly, you'll replace some (or more) of the hardware, instructions (what instructions?), be ready to reenforce and reglue parts, and be ready to reenforce and reglue parts.

You can forget about ANY support from Nitroplanes/Nitromodels/Raidentech. If you are missing a part, be ready to send back the WHOLE ARF. DO NOT wait for them to ship you a part as if you EVER see it, it will be months later. Instead ask for a replacement ARF or a refund.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:35 PM
russm

thanks guys for the imfo. it's importent for us newer guys.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:16 AM
jblloyd
My Feedback: (17)

I recently purchased one of the "Mustang P51D EP" models from Nitroplanes. This was the worst kit I have ever bought. First of all, their web site states "battery hatch is in front of the canopy" but there is no battery hatch. This requires you to remove the wing each time you change batteries (which is a major pain). Also, some of the parts were made of a cheap plastic that you were required to cutout yourself. The color of the plastic parts did not match the covering color.

I emailed Nitropanes and requested an RMA so that I could return this plane. Although their web site states that all emails are answered within 24 hours, it was over a week before I got a reply. They offered me a $10 discount if I would keep it. Needless to say, I returned it and requested a full refund of $60. After waiting for over a month for the refund to appear on my credit card, I call American Express and filed a dispute. Amazingly, a refund appeared on my account within a few days.

Their email to me stated that I should try one of their larger planes because the quality was much better and I would be happier with the product. Yea, right!
Old 10-16-2006, 10:30 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: jblloyd

I recently purchased one of the "Mustang P51D EP" models from Nitroplanes. This was the worst kit I have ever bought. First of all, their web site states "battery hatch is in front of the canopy" but there is no battery hatch. This requires you to remove the wing each time you change batteries (which is a major pain). Also, some of the parts were made of a cheap plastic that you were required to cutout yourself. The color of the plastic parts did not match the covering color.
This is pretty standard... even for other manufacturers, not to specifically defend Nitroplanes.

My Model Tech Extra 300 ARF from Tower also had a cowl that was a) too big, b) did not match the color scheme, etc.

Often the instructions or ads indicate things like a hatch, etc. that you find has been changed or eliminated. e.g. talk to me about wing templates!

I've seen the plane you are talking about both the owner and myself did not find anything bad about it given it's price.

Cutting the plastic yourself is fairly standard.... you should see how much you have to do this with the Model Tech.

These are all Asian kits/arfs with the same characteristics in their respective price ranges.

You get what you pay for to a large degree.

If you pay for a more expensive plane the build is usually (but unfortunately not always) better.

If you want better built planes though, stick with the bigger brands. They often have a semblance of caring about what they sell.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:43 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

But you'll still have to cut out the plastic parts
Old 10-16-2006, 10:51 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

But you'll still have to cut out the plastic parts

So true.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:30 AM
4-Stroke
My Feedback: (16)

Nitroplanes are not for me. THe pictures ar pretty but the service stinks. I tried them twice. Never again.

Quote: Pay more: It is Cheaper.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have assembled several of there planes. Being a builder and not an assembler I don't have too many problems with the total crap they sell, for the price of the plane I can end up with a pretty good flyer. The air frames are weak to say the least, the hardware is throw away the instructions are so funny/bad my wife took them to work so she could teach her people how to speak Chinglish. Support, there isn't any!!
I don't fly ARFs myself but I do assemble them for other people. Are they any good?? No, not as they come out of the box. Will they last?? No, but you can get a season out of them if you don't have any hard landings or fly them too hard.
In my case if I have a friend that just has to have one I will assemble it for them and do some magic stuff so they are a bit stronger.
It's hard to walk away for the price and the planes aren't bad flying machines but they aren't the deal you would think. I would never own one myself unless it was a gift.
There size is also a bit of a strech too, there 90 size is a small light weight 60 size plane. Go figure???
Old 07-06-2009, 12:35 PM
flaminheli

I have purchased 2 planes from them. The .40 Ultimate and the .50 Edge 540. Both are just as well built as anything I have ever purchased from Tower. And I have purchased alot of planes from Tower. The hardware is hit or miss. For example the hardware that came with the Ultimate was usable but I decided to replace it with hardware that I already had on hand. The Ultimate flys great, with only two clicks of down elevator needed on the maiden. My son has over 30 flights on it and it is still going strong. The Edge I have not started putting together yet but the hardware looks just as good as any Dubro hardware. I will admit that you should have several ARFs under your belt before assembling the planes Nitroplanes sells for the simple fact that the instructions are lacking. After you have assembled a few ARFs you usually don't need the instructions anyway. Just maybe for the C.G. All of the planes I have purchased from Tower needed the wrinkles ironed out of the covering. The two planes I purchased from NP did not have any wrinkles. Although I ran the iron over them just to seal up the seams. All in all they are worth the money you spend.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:58 PM
4-Stroke

I received my cessna 421 on April 1st with a broken canopy. I informed them via their e-mail on the second. Several days passed and I contacted them to see if I could start the build or send it back. The said they had ordered the canopy and it would be thre to four weeks. It is built with the best engines, struts, engine syncronizers, costom mufflers, wheels ect. Three months later it sit with no canopy and I really don't expect to ever see one.

Pay more it is cheaper.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:06 PM
ohnoucdat

Just go in the forums and look up nitro planes. YOu will get your answer there. If you can't find it, I'll give you simple answer RUN RUN run away. Go with Great Planes, Tower, or some other reputable company with good customer service,it's well worth it in the end.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:00 PM
rgm762

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trex39; research ANY plane from ANY manufacure or dealer, I'm not defending nitro planes by any means, but they do sell "some" nice planes, even hanger 9 has some planes out there with some serious issues, but have excellant customer service, there is a guy named John over in the ARF/RTF forums under "nitromodels support" that does a great job dealing with missing/broken or repalcement parts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5747241/tm.htm
Old 07-06-2009, 09:23 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have put together a Giles 202 50 sized, low wing trainer, Ventus 2.6 meter sailplane, Cessna 182 50 sized, and may start working on a T-34. I have been around long enough to remember an ARF used to mean the wings were sheeted for you. You still had to build the rest.

Are the planes from Nitro good for the beginner, not without help from some one. The directions at best, should only be used to mix epoxy on. I did not have a problem with putting them together. I also tossed the hardware I did not like and used the stuff I thought would work. They are not for the first time person. I have done 5 orders with them so far. I have not had a problem.

My first plane from them was a Giles 202 50 sized. It does look good when you get it together. Total beauty. Flies as well as or slightly better then it looks. I did toss a lot of the links and replaced them with Dubro ball links. It is a great flying plane and I am glad I bought it.

The next one was the low wing trainer 60 sized. I ordered (4) of them, one for me, my brother and one each for my brother in laws. We did a Saturday build session together. I had no problems with it. It went together very well. My (2) brother in laws would not have been able to put it together with the supplied epoxy mixing pages. They were lost on the first page. I asked to see both copies of the directions and then put them in the trash. I built the first step and they looked at it and then copied what I did. Sort of here is step one, then step two. I had mine complete on the first day. I figured out the CG was off by an inch. They listed it about 1 inch in front of the spar. It was very nose heavy setup that way. You could not really slow it down for landings. I rebalanced on the spar and she flies like a dream. It will fly slower then my Tower trainer 60. In a 10 mph head wind, it almost stops forward ground speed. For less then $80.00, well worth the little bit of effort and changing of the hardware.

Next order was for a Ventus glider. It is a 2.6 meter span fiberglass fuse sail plane. It has a few issues. The hardcore sailplane guys say the air brakes are in the wrong place. They are forward of the spar and they say it should be behind the spar. Mine work so I am happy about it. We have done 2 build session to finish them. We used the included retract and gear doors. I think she is well worth the $120.00 we spent. We did change a few things in the way it was setup. I changed the way the servo for the air brakes is setup. Changed some hardware, but well worth it.

I just finished the Cessna 182, well almost done. I need to pick up a 70 4s engine for it as well as a lighting kit.. I have all the rest done. It is a nice plane. It is no trainer. I have it setup pretty much like the Chinglish directions say. I sort of followed the pictures. I have tossed a lot of the plastic links and replaced with Dubro or Goldberg stuff. The fit and finish is pretty dang good for $99.99. There are a few places that leave you in the dark. But as stated, these should not be the persons first build unless they build it with some one who knows what they are doing. Over all I really like this plane. I can not wait until I get my new engine for it.

I have the T-34 sitting here in the box. I am trying to decide if I want to build it with a .46 2s or wait until I can get a 70 4s. Over all it looks good. I am going to use some Luster cote on it. I will put two coats of clear on it before I start. It has been said the nose gear retract is very weak. I fly off of pavement or concrete so it should hold up. The people who had real trouble flew off of grass.

Each ARF I have put together over the years has had issues. One of my all time favorite ARF's was the old Spectrum from Hobbico. It was a 40 sized pattern ship. It had cheap self stick shelf paper for covering, the whole top was a blow molded plastic piece you glued on. Of course when you touched the Ca glue to the fuse and plastic top, the coloring of the shelf paper would run. I flew the heck out of that plane. It was a great plane in the air. It just had issues getting there.

I have a Model Tech Formula 3D. It was on close out for $90.00. That was a pretty good ARF. I tossed about half of the plastic hardware and used Dubro stuff. I just finished an older Global / Model Tech Lucky Stik. It is a 40 sized Ugly stik. I would say it is about 5 years older then the Formula 3D. What an improvement the Formula 3D is over the Lucky Stik. 100% better then the older stuff.

Every ARF out there is going to have something some does not like. It is hard to please every one. Try putting a kit together for the cost of an ARF. I have tried, no way I can do it. For the price they are better then I have seen people build.

I did have a problem and I posted a question in the Nitro planes support form and John took care of it. I do believe that they have improved the service at Nitroplanes. So far I am happy with what I have bought and the service I have received. Will that change, never know. Tower Hobbies has let me down before.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dru.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:22 PM
edmoor
My Feedback: (1)

i had 3 of them......now 2......flying bricks.......look nice......they bore a big hole when they hit....i wont buy anymore of em.....bad parts.....bad instructions.....poor hardware.......on and on.......
Old 07-31-2009, 08:48 PM
Missileman

I agree with the majority.
The airframes are ok but not any better than any others out there, once you beef up weak areas and replace the terrible hardware the money you saved is gone, you might as well have bought a Great Planes or Hangar9 model to begin with and saved all the trouble.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:03 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I bought one of their illegitimate copies of a high-end plane, and even with that the hardware was total crap and the covering is junk (although it does look really good). It was missing parts and took months to get reimbursed and to find all the proper replacement parts. I still ended up saving over a hundred bucks, but it was enough to not really look at their site anymore.

If you're new, stay away.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:06 PM
LuckyArmpit

Many of the planes from nitroplanes are from I believe richmodel and CMP. These are primarily builder's arfs. You figure your own wing hold down screws, where they go, etc.
So primarily, your figuring out everything for yourself. Definitely not for beginning flyers.
I have one CMP model, a Giles 202 .50 sized. The covering is extremely thin. There is no way that if you repair something that your gonna match the covering.
Mine looks like crap but it does fly pretty well.

Lucky...