Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

"Deadstick"

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

"Deadstick"

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 03:05 PM
Kenneth_H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Deadstick"

No harm done but 2 weed landings and one landing that nearly hit the weeds today
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95304.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	550585  
Old 10-29-2006, 03:47 PM
TheBrickLayer

Default RE: "Deadstick"

Make sure you check the tail properly. I had several weed landings during my learning and it almost always loosened the tail section.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:55 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer to deadstick a landing, just cause you run out of power doesnt mean you can't use the runway!!...Rog
Old 10-29-2006, 04:02 PM
Wild Foamy

as long as you avoid a stall and keep everything smooth and level i dont see why you cant glide it around to a decent patch of grass...

having said that ive never flown! as long as there is no damage it should be fine, just check the internal structure (especially tail) and make sure all is well
Old 10-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Kenneth_H

I was high over the field but not high enough for an approach so we had it 7/8 down the runway when we were at like 15 feet so we banked it into the weeds but it was smooth
so no chance of us landing on grass or runway so .
Old 10-29-2006, 04:10 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a landing where you can fly your trainer again is a good landing, getting it on the ground in one piece works at first. as for the tail just check the nylon screws no big deal as long as they are snug there fine don't over tighten you will just be digging into the fuse the bolts are stronger than wood for sure.
the NEXTAR is a tough plane and will take a modest amount of abuse at least mine did .
Old 10-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Kenneth_H

ORIGINAL: bigtim

a landing where you can fly your trainer again is a good landing, getting it on the ground in one piece works at first. as for the tail just check the nylon screws no big deal as long as they are snug there fine don't over tighten you will just be digging into the fuse the bolts are stronger than wood for sure.
the NEXTAR is a tough plane and will take a modest amount of abuse at least mine did .
I second that 3 kinda bad landings
Old 10-29-2006, 06:52 PM
Mr67Stang

Tired of nexstar deadsticks? Well for $100 I will solve your problem... all you have to do is make your payment through paypal, check or money order. you can also make 3 easy payments of $33.34 if you like. Upon receipt of your payment we will tell you to remove the plastic cap thingy on the highspeed needle valve, pitch it and have an eperienced guy set the needle for ya... oops, I think I figured out why I stink at bussiness

Good luck, have fun, DON"T QUIT!
Old 10-29-2006, 07:27 PM
Wild Foamy

if it cuts at full throttle its lean, right? if it bogs down its rich.

turn the Highspeed needlevalve... anti-clockwise when your standing behind the engine with the backplate facing you, turn it 1/8th of a full turn and see if it still deads, then turn another 1/8 e.t.c
Old 10-29-2006, 08:21 PM
Kenneth_H

My instructor riched it up but the engine is pretty unreliable.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:04 PM
Mr67Stang

If you have the OS .46 FXi, I have the same engine from my old nexstar and it is very reliable. Do you have a different engine? Are you at a high altitude with low nitro % fuel. I run the 15% synthetic blend with a kiss of castor added for good measure and fly at about 4-500 ft above sea level.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:58 PM
Kenneth_H

I dont know how high but yea I have that same engine and run the green coolpower fuel
Old 10-29-2006, 11:03 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

. . . a landing where you can fly your trainer again is a good landing . . .
So is one where you only have to bend over once to pick up your plane.

1st rule of deadsticks is to yell "Deadstick!" so all the other pilots can get ready to enjoy and then judge the crash.

2nd rule is to keep the nose slightly down to maintain airspeed and thereafter use the rudder and ailerons as little as possible.

3rd rule is that if you have less that 20 ft of altitude it's time to aim at the softest thing upwind of the model.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:17 AM
alan0899

G'day Mate,
So you make a lot of money doin these tips & things?
MMMMMMMMMMMMM. I think I can see a problem with your logic, Ya needs ta charge more money. that way ya make more!!!!!!
Old 10-30-2006, 01:56 AM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: Kenneth_H

I dont know how high but yea I have that same engine and run the green coolpower fuel
Yes the Green Stuff That is the synthetic oil where the Pink Stuff is for girls... I mean is real oil. My LHS Local Hobby Shop sells the Green Stuff in 10% and 15% nitro. I have never tried the 10% but I don't have deadstick problems either. Look on your bottle it should have a lable with either 10% or 15% on it. If you have the 10% see if someone at your feild will let you try a tank full of their 15% retune your engine and give that a shot. By the way I ran my OS .46 FXi on straight coolpower synthetic (green stuff) without mixxing the castor in for several month until a flyer at my club said if I was going to keep on trying to hover that motor I should at least protect it.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:57 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fortunately the NEXTAR glides about as good as can be although I have rarely had any problems with my engine when I did the plane floated to the ground rather easily without incident.
the OS 46 dont know of a more reliable engine out there when tuned properly its as solid as they come. I have a 46AX as well as the 46fxi great runners.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Kenneth_H

I did what my instructor told me to do but the engine isn't clogged. I cant find out what fuel I'm using so sorry because I took the sticker off.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:26 PM
opjose

That engine should be VERY reliable.

Maybe it's TOO rich on the low end?
Old 10-30-2006, 08:22 PM
Mr67Stang

Okay, the Nexstar's white monocoat can be very helpfull. After you run the engine at full throttle and get a good stream of goo running under the wing and/or under the fuse; What color is is the goo? If it's still just as green as it was when it left the bottle you are to rich. When mine is running it's best the "goo" is barely green and has noticable carbon in it (black stuff). If your instructor is trying to tune for smoke trail he may have gotten so rich that the engine is not getting hot enough to produce smoke. The other posibility here is your glow plug may not be staying hot enough. Go to you LHS and step up the heat... good idea now with winter comming fast anyway.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:34 AM
Kenneth_H

Its black brownish I remember from last time.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:00 AM
Mr67Stang

Change your glow plug.