Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Helping a friend build a Duraplane 40, kit missing peices, need help.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Helping a friend build a Duraplane 40, kit missing peices, need help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 11:58 PM
Sneasle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helping a friend build a Duraplane 40, kit missing peices, need help.

hey guys, how is everyone.

I am helping out a friend building his dura plane 40. I know this kit is not a favorite one, but we have several good instructors available and I am working on repairing an Avistar that he can do his first few flights on if need be.

His parents got this plane for him over 3 years ago and it has been sitting in his house since then. We finally got it open last week and started working on it only to find out that some how during those 3 years of storage and random moving around that the foam wing extensions had been taken out of the box. So, we have no idea where they are and we are off at school 4hrs from his hosue so going and looking for them isn't really an option.

I was wondering if anyone knew of how I could make up for this lack of 10" of wingspan without too much pain. I was considering getting some bluecore or somethign and just sanding a set out, but I figured it would be better to ask first.

Also, does this plane specifically need the greatplanes 8oz tank, or will any square 8oz tank do?

Thanks guys.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:55 PM
carrellh

Default RE: Helping a friend build a Duraplane 40, kit missing peices, need help.

Using a different tank shouldn’t be a problem if it will fit in the fuselage

Here are the dimensions of the GP tank
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=LXK123&P
Height- 2" (51mm)
Width- 2 1/4" (57mm)
Length- 4 3/8" (92mm)

Hayes
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK830
Height: 2.25"
Width: 1.87"
Length: 4.68"

Dubro
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD717
Height: 1-15/16"
Width: 2-5/16"
Length: 4-7/8"
Old 11-07-2006, 11:55 PM
Sneasle

Default RE: Helping a friend build a Duraplane 40, kit missing peices, need help.

Thanks.

Went by the LHS, they didnt have a GP or a dubro, only a sullivan. It was a bit overpriced, but ordering just the tank from tower after shippign would still have been a bit more. Also picked up some aileron stock since the stuff it came with seemed a bit weak.

Any thoughts about the wing tips?
Old 11-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Montague

You can, in fact, just sand a chunk of foam to the right shape. It will work well enough. It's messy, but that's the worst of it.

You can help keep the shape more accurate by using a long sanding bar and making templates for the tips to keep yourself from sanding too much off.

I once built a glider for an egg-drop contest way back in highschool by sanding down white beaded foam into an airfoil shape.

Another option is to find someone with a foam cutter arragement. These use a heated wire to cut the foam, and the results are usually more accurate and always less messy. But for a short segement, sanding works.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Sneasle

what kinda foam would you recommend? Wally world arts and craft foam, blue core, pink core? Foam is all french to me, I have no clue what is better for what.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:10 AM
BANJOAIRPLANE

Sneasle,the Duraplane will fly fine without the extensions if you don't over power it.The only difference in the 40 size and the 25 size trainers is the wing extensions and the 25 is set up tail dragger.It will fly fine with a 40 engine though without the extensions.The tank issue is not a problem either as long as the tank you bought will fit inside the gutter pipe.I have trained 3 folks besides myself with this plane.When he learns to fly the Duraplane all other trainers will be a breeze.It does however stand up to some rough treatment!
Old 11-09-2006, 09:49 AM
Montague

For what you're doing, the type of foam probably isn't critical. I'm not exactly sure how it goes together on that plane, since I've not seen one. If you have something strong in there as spars then it really doesn't matter. If you don't, then you'll want some fairly dense foam, so go with the strongest stuff you can get. For a small chunk, the weight difference isn't going to matter anyway.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:56 PM
BANJOAIRPLANE

The Duraplane has an aluminum spar in the wing,but you can see it.It doesn't protrude out into the extensions,if that helps.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Sneasle

your right, it the spar doesnt partrude.

I know it will fly without the extensions, but I want this thing to be as flyable as possible. I don't mind going through the effort of making extensions if I need to.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:47 PM
-EXTRA-

i dont think you need to but i have a duraplane my dad bought bout 2 years ago and we just got it out the box and together bout 3 weeks ago we got the extensions on ours along with different ailerons we bought like you said ones that came with it were just small lol but dude with a .46 that thing flys awesome man also its pretty fast for a trainer and lands real smooth you and your friend will love it
Old 11-10-2006, 05:44 AM
BANJOAIRPLANE

The ailerons that are stock will surprise you with the travel set up high.Roll rates are pretty quick.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Sneasle

so stick with the original or put the wider ones on them? I alreayd have the stock, so it would just be an issue of cutting them to size.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:21 PM
BANJOAIRPLANE

Sneasle I used the stock ones and the Duraplne rolls faster than any balsa trainer that I have flown.I had the control rods in the outsde holes on the servo and the inside holes on the horn.The covering is about flown and worn off and they are still holding up just fine.