Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Heli or Plane???

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Heli or Plane???

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 06:14 PM
MT RC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heli or Plane???

I have made another thread in the heli forums about this, but I know they all liked helis better. And I know all of you guys like planes better, but I would like to know which do you think is more fun, and WHY!!! Thanks very much guys!
Old 11-24-2006, 06:29 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Heli or Plane???

Yes....they are
Old 11-24-2006, 06:33 PM
MT RC

Ok... "they" meaning planes or helicopters?
Old 11-24-2006, 06:37 PM
exeter_acres

Yep....
Old 11-24-2006, 06:42 PM
exeter_acres

really...they are very different....go with what you enjoy...

Me? I fly both
Old 11-24-2006, 06:56 PM
MT RC

Thats the problem. I dont know what I enjoy since I do not have the luxury of being able to fly either of them other than on a free flight sim. Which do you like better of both of yours?
Old 11-24-2006, 07:02 PM
Flying freak

personnally im an all out plane guy but.... im looking into crossing ofer both have advatages planes are easier to learn (in most cases) electric helies can be flown almost anywere evan indoorse in a room airplane are stable but you have to watch your speed not to stall but i would hate to have an engine failure in a heli i know you can auto rotat but i would still have to change my pants after that one

all up to you man
Old 11-24-2006, 08:15 PM
Dave trimmer

I'd go with planes, i was in the same predicament almost a year ago. I chose planes theyre more relaxing and challenging. you can choose how you want to fly, even while learning. with a heli it's nerves all the way until you get great. planes are easierto fly, cheaper, a lot cheaper, easier to repair, with a heli if you crash i was told could cost you up to $120. with a plane a couple of bucks on glue up to 30 bucks and covering on a major crash. even learning to fly planes then getting into helis, ive heard is best.

Dave Trimmer
Old 11-24-2006, 10:47 PM
PlaneHeli

I fly both.

I dont have a preference, I like both. I find flying planes more relaxing. aeros touch and gos. I can generally throw them around more.

Helis, especially until your very proficient (im not there yet) are a little more nerve racking. One false move and it serious damage (Im talking glow powered planes and helis). The little electrics of each may be a bit more forgiving if crashed.

Other consideration is where you have to fly. If its miles to the nearest flying site for planes, helis can be flown in the back yard (electric) or generally a smaller area.

Id start with planes, then move on to helis later if your still interested.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:13 AM
MT RC

Well, I am either getting a nitro plane or nitro heli. The thing with the plane is I am just afraid that I will fly around in circles and get bored. Oh, and with planes I was looking at the H9 P51 PTS.

Also, I have a large 10 acre backyard with no houses around, so either way I can fly in my backyard (after I have learned with an instructor first of course).
Old 11-25-2006, 02:03 AM
PlaneHeli

10 acre back yard. Perfect.

Start with a plane then. Once you get into aeros or 3D, it will keep you interested.

Quicker to learn to a proficient level with the planes.

You can get into helis later.

Its not something you have to choose one or the other.

Buy a Heli radio though. You can use it with both planes and helis.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:14 AM
MT RC

Do you fly helis? Do you think they are more fun than a plane? I am looking into the planes, but the idea of a nitro heli is just killing me because I really want one, but at the same time I dont since you say a plane would be better! Ahhh... I have some problems, help!
Old 11-25-2006, 08:36 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: MT RC

...... The thing with the plane is I am just afraid that I will fly around in circles and get bored. ......
There are no boring planes. If a pilot gets bored with a plane it's because he's being boring. It's all in how the plane is flown.

If your "10 acres" are in the area with other houses then it's not really that big at all. I think that you have posted pictures of your land before, and if it's the same pictures I would say that it's not well suited for flying a plane. One huge reason was the large trees around the outside of your land.

As we've pointed out, please find a club. If for no other reason than to ensure that you're not close to a club and you could be shooting down their planes when you turn on your radio. But also they will make sure that you know how to operate a plane in a safe manner.

Ken
Old 11-25-2006, 09:26 AM
flyingJ

I love flying planes, and maybe someday I'll try the Helis. I fly with a lot of guys that fly both, and they suggest taking a piece of flat glass 10x10 set a quarter in the middle and trace it. Remove the quarter and place a marble on the glass, when you can keep the marble close to the circle think about helis. You fly helis on both sticks and all directions at the same time.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:16 PM
MT RC

The pics I posted were of my left side, my right side yard is about 2x bigger. Also, since heli's are more challenging, that is kind of why I like them. So I know I wont get bored.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:34 PM
Fastsky

A trainer plane can fly at 70 mph and then land at walking speed. After I passed my wings I learned how to hover my LT40 with a 70" wingspan by pointing the plane straight up at about 3/4 throttle. I could slowly turn the plane in both directions or just stop while pointing at the sky and then start climbing by going to full throttle. I have a low wing that can fly "motionless" upright or inverted if there is a stiff breeze. As RCKen said "there are no boring planes. It's all in how the plane is flown. "< If you prefer to spend about 30 hours just trying to learn how to keep a helicopter from ripping the blades off itself while only flying 2 feet off the runway filling the surrounding areas with thick smoke then go for it. Airplanes can be taught by buddy box to keep you and your plane safe. If you go the helicopter route, you are on your own.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:47 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

I'm strictly a plane guy. I flew the full size planes for many years... and I just have this love affair with anything fixed wing. R/C choppers are cool, but very difficult to fly compared to fix winged aircraft, especially in any kind wind.

JMO and Preference.

Peter Dowling aka Luftwaffe Oberst
AMA District II # 865404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY

Old 11-26-2006, 09:43 AM
PlaneHeli

MT RC,

Yes I fly both Planes and Helis. also got back into RC Electric buggies too. This happened to me 25 years ago. started with planes, tried gliders, helis, electric racing cars, electric racing buggies, boats and a few things that dont have a name yet. (all used the same tx)

No reason to limit yourself to just one facet of RC (except for finances of course, yet I still managed much of it while working school holidays years ago).

SO, id start with a plane, It will get you throwing something around the sky quicker. Once youve mastered a trainer you can move onto something more agile, aeros, 3D.

This will teach you the co-ordination and ORIENTATION flying models at a safe height. (Helis generally hover low to the ground so less time to correct).
Once your comfortable with flying your fixed wing trainer, you could start flying helis too.

I take my plane and heli to the flying site and fly each. I have the same freq in the RXs so just switch models on the TX between plane / heli. Fly 3 flights of each alternating. most times out if time permits.

Best of both worlds.

If you go to Helis first, get a Sim. Ive found Reflex XTR the best by far for helis.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:43 AM
MT RC

Thanks, I have this free sim that is called FMS, and I have a 4ch controller from ebay that is for the computer only. I have been flying on that for a few weeks now. How much is the Reflex you are talking about?
Old 11-26-2006, 12:04 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

Planes are cheaper, and generally easier to fly. But, when (not if) you crash, it its cheaper to repair since all you need is a bottle of glue and some elbow grease. But in a crash, you have to put all the pieces of wood back together or just square out the damage and replace it with new wood. With a heli, you just go to the hobby shop and buy the replacement parts that you need and just bolt them right on. Planes are also more forgiving if something isn't quite right. One guy at the field flies a plane with a semi-twisted fuse and with some aileron trim, it still flies, but not very well. With a heli, there are dozens of pulleys, drive belts, and linkages that you have to keep calibrated right, otherwise your flights will be a very miserable experience. But, helis can also be flown in a smaller space, and don't necessarily need a flying field to fly at. On the downside, when the engine of a heli quits, then the heli will fall like a rock because when the rotors aren't spinning fast enough (the rotors freespin when the engine quits to provide very minimal [if any] lift), your "wings" aren't flying. And they tend to chug the fuel since they almost always run at idle or full throttle. With a plane, when the engine quits, the plane will glide, and you just need good judgement to bring the plane back down in one piece. This is basically a summary of some of the heated "Plane vs. Heli" debates I've encountered at the field and club meetings. Personally, I'm a plane guy, but I did buy a E-flite Blade CX to fly in the house when I can't go to the field. Speaking of which, "I live too far away" is not an acceptable excuse around here to miss a perfectly good flying day, or a fun fly. We have people that drive 30, 40, or 50 miles to come fly here regularly.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:34 PM
PlaneHeli

MT RC,

Reflex XTR is about the same price as the other Sims. You can use your Radio for the computer you have.

Its a German made Sim so not sure if its more expensive than the other Sims in the USA.

I also have G3, but unless your willing to pay alot extra for the Expansion Packs and Add Ons it appears very basic.

Perhaps if I spent another $210 USD for the 5 Add Ons and 2 expansion Packs, on top of the original $200USD It would be better.