Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

FS One Versus Real Flight??

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

FS One Versus Real Flight??

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 10:35 PM
mjcelli
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FS One Versus Real Flight??

Hello.

I've been wanting to get a nice flight simulator software package
for awhile now to practice with. I was figuring I'd end up getting
Great Planes Real Flight but now looks like Hangar 9 put their
twist on things with FS One. Was wondering if anyone has any
preferences or advantage/disadvantage advice for either package.

I'm beginner-intermediate. Tough decision now since $200 is a big
outlay for either

Any input greatly appreciated!!!
Old 11-26-2006, 08:04 AM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: FS One Versus Real Flight??

Get RF 3.5. They are both good, but 3.5 is better in my opinion. I have flown them all.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:01 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go read the hundred or so posts on this topic that're on the RCSimulator Forum.

You'll find out that a lot of people prefer one of them. And about as many people prefer another of them. And a lot of people prefer yet another. Somebody even did a survey and guess what........ The numbers matched up with the reported sales counts.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:11 AM
da Rock

You will get your money's worth with either G3.5 or FSOne.

They're both very well done and appear to be very well supported. Heck, we've even got a couple of the guys who coded and developed them answering questions and helping with problems on the RCSimulator Forum.

And you also might swing by your LHS. Most of the LHS that're a decent size have both of them on display. But plan to be there awhile, and you still won't get a complete understanding of just how extensive both sims are.

Anytime there are two well developed applications competing for the same market, they both will have almost everything the other has in terms of functions and capabilities. And if one comes out with something unique, you can plan on the other one matching that very very soon. You're not going to go wrong with either.

And it'll be a very sensible investment in your hobby. Everybody I know who has bought one has improved their RC flying skills. Big time improved for most.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:18 AM
ChuckW

I own Real flight G3.5 and I like it a lot. There are a few minor issues but nothing major. I've used FS-1 at the hobby shop. It looks like a great product and might be a little more user friendly than Real Flight. The only real drawback to FS-1 that I saw was fewer airplane options. I also didn't care for the controler; the one in Real Flight is more realistic, just like a Futaba transmitter. It probably boils down to what airplanes you fly. If you have something from Hobbico/Great Planes, go with Real Flight. If you have something from Hangar-9, you might want to go with FS-1. I don't think any simulator can ever replace actual flying but they are good for learning a lot of basic skills without destroying real airplanes. Plus, they can be a lot of fun. Just my opinion of course.

Also, make sure your computer is adequate. Without enough memory or a good video card, you'll be disappointed in any simulator.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:42 PM
mjcelli

Thanks for the input all!

Being beginner-intermediate pilot, I wanted to get a simulator so as to try
maneuvers on Sim before trying for real and also just to get to using the
sticks 'naturally'. Sounds like either real flight or
FS1 delivers equivalent flight accuracy. But $200 IS a large outlay of cash
for something that may be marginally beneficial. Maybe I can find a Sim
that'll do the similar things for less money.

Thanks again!
Old 11-26-2006, 09:45 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: mjcelli

Thanks for the input all!

Being beginner-intermediate pilot, I wanted to get a simulator so as to try
maneuvers on Sim before trying for real and also just to get to using the
sticks 'naturally'. Sounds like either real flight or
FS1 delivers equivalent flight accuracy. But $200 IS a large outlay of cash
for something that may be marginally beneficial. Maybe I can find a Sim
that'll do the similar things for less money.

Thanks again!
If this is what you want a sim for take a look on Ebay and see what you can pick up a copy of Realflight G2 for. For trying out new maneuvers this simulator is still good to use. The graphics may not be as "nice" as the new simulators out there, but the actual physics of the plane flying are more than up to the task for learning new maneuvers. I have G2 and I use it all the time in trying on new things. You'll definitely spend less than a new sim.

Ken
Old 11-27-2006, 12:03 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Folks who buy Nexstar RTF packages and then "part them out" on EBay will often sell the 4YF transmitter with the G2 Nextstar addition quite inexpensively. Even flying this single plane at a single field can be really, really helpful for practicing basic flight manuvers.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:19 PM
scratchonly

Try FMS on google; free, safe download; Ypu will need an interface cable; you can find suppliers on the links at the homepage. Download version 7.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:55 PM
johndou

I bought RealFlight G3.0 back in July and use it a lot! I was able to solo on my first day so I have high praise for it. But, the new upgrade to G3.5 is not worth the $200 price tag. After a week of using the new 3.5 upgrade I went out to the field to fly and found myself almost running off the runway on the left ... it happened on virtually every take-off and I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Plus I found myself cutting power for landing too far out ... Later while reading the KnifeEdge website (software developers for RealFlight) I learned that these are two errors with the new Real Flight G3.5 upgrade. (There are apparently plenty of others) Planes will pull to the right on take-off in the sim and in real life they pull to the left. Learning to compensate by flying the sim (3.5) and then flying the real thing compounds your problems ... Plus, with 3.5 they float much further with power off then in real life. I wouldn't bother spending money, especially $200 for something that's going to make you fly worse. Of course, I wouldn't hesitate recommending getting RealFlight G3.0 ... or even G2.0 if you want to save even more money.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:47 PM
mjcelli

Thanks again for all the input!

Yep, ebay sure does have alot of flight sims for sale at decent prices!

Johndou, yes have been reading about some of the 'anomolies' of the new
G3.5. What a bummer that such basic things are goofed up, especially for
the $200 tag. I've read about some software 'patches' out there that correct
some of the probs. G3.0 or G2.0 will probably be what I'll look at getting.

Scratchonly, the FMS freeware is pretty neat too! I'll need to get an interface
cable and try it.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:43 AM
rc6

REALFLIGHT!!!!!

personally I've seen realflight do more stuff than fs one

Austin

Old 12-19-2009, 09:50 AM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: mjcelli

have been reading about some of the 'anomolies' of the new
G3.5. What a bummer that such basic things are goofed up, especially for
the $200 tag. I've read about some software 'patches' out there that correct
some of the probs.
The software patches that correct the problems were released by RealFlight/KnifeEdge, the developers. When you open any of the versions of RF the start window has an "Additional options" button. Click it and it leads you to the updates. (Look for a button with "updates" on it.) They really were average for the number and severity of the problems they fixed compared to pc software releases.

I've got both FSOne and Real Flight. I've upgraded Real Flight every version release and it's been excellent. Either sim would be good, although of course FSOne being abandoned matters. Simulations on pc's have a difficult time dealing with the many combinations of hardware components possible. Since hardware continually improves and changes, there is a probability that FSOne will have more problems in the future. I've got a number of sims and flying games that haven't a hope of working on my 5 years old pc and no hope on my 3 year old one, because they're completely out of sync. RF3.5 still runs perfectly on the 5 year old box, but it'd be foolish to expect it to run forever.

It's how the software industry versus the hardware industry works in real life and we got to live with it.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Shakedown

I tried both, ended up bying G5 from RealFlight. I agree that both are fine products but the customer/tech service from Knife Edge is second to none.

SD
Old 12-20-2009, 11:29 AM
goirish

I have both the FSOne and RF 5. Tell the truth I like the FSOlne better, seems like I can see the planes and the ground better. I can hover on the FSOne and not the RF, must be something in the way the plane is setup
Old 12-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Luftwaffe Oberst
Banned

Real Flight wins. I have Aerofly Deluxe and it is good, but I like the Multiplayer in Real Flight.

Pete
Old 12-20-2009, 08:19 PM
rc6

I have to agree with u "pete" multiplayer is awsome!!!!!!!

Austin
Old 12-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hold off buying for a while if you can. Horizon is coming out with their own, called Phoenix or something like that. Free life time upgrades and a few other things , that well make it much more attractive than FS or Reaflight .I'm not sure when it's coming out, but soon. Graphics are to be much better.
FS and Realflight need to get a gamer working for them, their graphics are in the stone age .
Old 12-20-2009, 08:39 PM
goirish

I have seen that at our LHS and it really seems very good.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Minnreefer

ORIGINAL: Insanemoondoggie

Hold off buying for a while if you can. Horizon is coming out with their own, called Phoenix or something like that. Free life time upgrades and a few other things , that well make it much more attractive than FS or Reaflight .I'm not sure when it's coming out, but soon. Graphics are to be much better.
FS and Realflight need to get a gamer working for them, their graphics are in the stone age .
I have been flying Phoenix for a few years now, I think that Horizon bought or are partnering with Phoenix, instead of FS1. I don't think the airplane flight is as accurate as Realflight, but it is good, and I like the free upgrades and additonal planes for free.

Jon
Old 12-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Hey Jon.
My understanding , is it,s going to be a new deal all together ,with huge improvements over what they have now. My freind was telling about, as I was drooling over the kits at the LHS and was having a hard time paying attention. lol
Old 12-21-2009, 01:14 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The FMS is handy for beginners to learn orientation. It will not teach you to handle wind and none of the planes will stall, but it will teach you to fly the pattern, line up for approaches, and do the most basic aerobatics.
What we really need is a sim that will work with VR goggles. The screen is the big limiting factor for me on them.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:33 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

What we really need is a sim that will work with VR goggles. The screen is the big limiting factor for me on them.
Most of the goggles will work with existing sims, but they only work in 2D.

In effect you are looking at a big virtual flat screen through the googles.

I also use Stereoscopic 3D googles with Realflight G3, G4 & G5 w/o problems.

The Nvidia 3Dvision setup works perfectly with Realflight to give you true depth perception...

However one of the best things the sims do for you, is to get you to NOT use depth perception and plane orientation as a crutch when you are flying... rather it is much better if you learn how to determine the orientation of your plane merely by it's response to your inputs.

The 2D screen presentation of most sims also teaches you to use other visual cues to orient your plane, especially during approaches. This translates into better overall control of your real plane at the field, especially under less than optimal conditions, e.g. when a plane crosses the tree line, etc.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:08 AM
DeferredDefect

I think Realflight is getting gimmiky. Machine guns? Paintball? Inside views with targeting cameras?
This is not what what a beginner needs. It just creates bad habits and adds to the cost!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:03 PM
Fs one

FS ONE thats the way to fly man . Theres no doubt about it! 

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.