Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

A little eager? Sure, but wait until summer?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

A little eager? Sure, but wait until summer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 07:24 AM
jduran280

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little eager? Sure, but wait until summer?

I don't think so. I visited a swap meet hosted by the nearest club, and their brochure said that they meet at a local church until summer, when they meet at the field, and training isn't conducted until summer (could be May or June in Montana before they start this.....I think). I say "I think" (and I don't want to be too critical of the local club) but I really tried to talk to the president of the club several times - I had never met him before, and he didn't have 2 words for me. So, I might have to go it alone after all. I posted a problem earlier about breaking-in an engine, and had some good suggestions. My problem is that I can't start the engine. Here is my situation: I have an OS .46LA, an electric starter, full fuel tank, 2 glow plug igniters-fully charged, and the hoses connected correctly ( I've checked and re-checked all of these many times), but when I try to prime the engine the fuel doesn't travel up the hose. The instructions say to move the throttle to full, cover the carb air intake with my finger and manually turn the propeller a few times. If I do this briskly, I can get fuel up the line partially, but by the time I get the starter to the spinner, the fuel has recessed back to the tank, and the engine will turn without firing. Sorry for the long post, but any suggestions?
Old 01-27-2003, 07:38 AM
malin

try and replace the glow plug. it might be burnt out.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:45 AM
malin

try adjusting the needle valve it may be too closed and not getting enough pull to bring the fuel all the way to the carborator. other than that i have no idea but let me know i will ask around for you.

malin
Old 01-27-2003, 01:00 PM
Tattoo

Put several drops of fuel directly in the carb right before you hit it with the starter. You can also hold your finger over the muffler exhaust for several seconds, while your spinning the engine with the starter. This will increase pressure in the tanks and help send fuel to the carb.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:56 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Tattoo
Put several drops of fuel directly in the carb right before you hit it with the starter.
Tatoo hit the mark.

This will prime the engine and allow it to run for a few seconds. hopefully that will be enough time for the engine to draw fuel from the tank. If not try opening the needle valve a little.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:02 PM
hardlanding7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a crude method, but i gaurantee it will work everytime. If you diconnect the muffler line and blow into it until you see fuel coming through the line that goes to the carb, it should start right up. Or if you take off the glow plug and get a dropper and put several drops of fuel in the cyclinder, it will work.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:07 PM
strato911

Originally posted by Tattoo
You can also hold your finger over the muffler exhaust for several seconds, while your spinning the engine with the starter. This will increase pressure in the tanks and help send fuel to the carb.
I can vouch for this... I once forgot to remove the rolled-up paper towel I place in my exhaust tube during storage (it was hidden from view under the wing). It took a few moments to figure out why the engine was flooding so baddly that the only way it would run was by removing the pressure feed from the muffler :stupid: .
Now, whenever I experience a difficult-to-prime engine, I use Tattoo's method of placing my finger over the exhaust for a second or two.