Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Need Advice

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 03:45 AM
newRC'er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice

I want to get in to flying RC planes and need advice for a plane and learning how to fly. i've heard about clubs and have been to one and watched them fly, i thought it looked so fun. what would be the best trainer to start out with? Hobbico, looks good and it's a good price. I've seen the megatech nitro airstrike. I just need advice on a the best trainer and advice on learning how to fly, or can you teach yourself??

Thanks
Old 01-29-2003, 04:28 AM
Norm Nestie

Default Need Advice

I hope you get lots of replies/advice to your thread. I think your best bet is the help that you can get through your local flying club. Most experienced fliers are happy to lend a hand to a new and interested person. Guys with a few years experience have a lot of knowledge and can set you straight on all that you need to know about trainer planes, radios, flying, etc. I'm partial to Hangar 9 trainer ARFs or Goldberg Eagle 2 ARF (real beauty in ALL respects) but Your local guys could tell you more. If you make some head way and want to get into this fascinating hobby get someone experienced to teach you to fly with a buddy box. I hope you get all the friendly help a "newbie" should get. Drop me a line anytine. [email protected]
Old 01-29-2003, 02:08 PM
Post Hole

Default Need Advice

The SuperStar is a great trainer, it was my first RC aircraft. Mine was not the RTF, it was the ARF without any gear and I ended up getting an AWESOME deal on the rest of the gear I needed from my brother and my best friend that had upgraded their RC stuff.

As for teaching yourself... um, certainly *possible* just very much discouraged. Like teaching yourself to drive. You could do it, but it would cost you more $$ in the long run. Plus, you can end up *teaching* yourself some very bad habits that may be hard to break later when you do want to fly around other people.

My recommendation is do a search here for other threads that ask about teaching yourself to fly RC. But put on asbestos underwear before reading the replies, some of them can get ugly.

Then find a friend that flies, or head to a friendly local field and MAKE some friends. You stand a better chance of getting a deal on used, (but better than what comes with the RTF versions), radio equipment from someone that has upgraded. Plus, you can get someone to teach you. Don't try to take off by yourself without some instruction, please.

Flying RC is not that difficult, but it is definately not as easy as it looks, at least not at first.

Finally, welcome to your next addiction.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:20 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Need Advice

Originally posted by Post Hole
As for teaching yourself... um, certainly *possible* just very much discouraged. Like teaching yourself to drive.
Actually much harder. Imagine teaching yourself to drive a car that has no breaks. Oh yea, and aside from right and left you can also roll to the left and right, and pitch up and down, and become upside-down, where down becomes up and up becomes "HEADING STRAIGHT FOR THE GROUND VERY FAST..."

Did I mention you don't have breaks?

Get training! It's free! New airplanes aren't!
Old 01-29-2003, 02:35 PM
Cloud Puncher

Default Need Advice

One thing that has been overlooked in this thread (although mentioned in many previous threads) is the the use of the RealFlight G2 flight simulator or something similar. They are very useful tools that will get you to solo much faster than if you don't use them. Just fly the heck out of the included trainer model and you'll get a lot of your initial crashes out of the way on your computer. No cost to crash and you get a new airplane by hitting the reset.
Practice lots of take offs and landings until you begin to get comfortable with them. This experience will transfer to the real thing.

Good luck, good flying....

Rick
Albuquerque R/C Club
Old 01-29-2003, 02:56 PM
Post Hole

Default Need Advice

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Post Hole
As for teaching yourself... um, certainly *possible* just very much discouraged. Like teaching yourself to drive.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------
Actually much harder
----------------------------

Absolutely correct. Maybe I should have said "Like teaching yourself to drive in San Francisco in an old MG Midget with no brakes and right-hand drive." But I was actually trying to point out that people usually discourage you from trying to teach yourself to drive, since there is more to it than just controlling the vehicle. You also need to learn "the rules of the road" for your own safety, etc...
Old 01-29-2003, 10:43 PM
raderrustler

Default Need Advice

Planes and advice
I flew in the distant past and thought that Icould just waltz back in no problem. I purchased the alpha by hangar 9 and went to a vacant field and the only thing I found out was how to put my radio gear and motor in a new ARF. There was nothing wrong with the plane just bad decision making on my part. Definitely go to a local flying field and watch and talk with some of the fliers and they will steer you into long flights and smooth landings.
Randy