Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Nasty Stall Recovery >

Nasty Stall Recovery

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Nasty Stall Recovery

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nasty Stall Recovery

Hey guys...Let me tell you a little story, and at the end, I'll ask for advice.
Was flying my Seamaster Arf with an MVVS 45 ... last flight of the day. Coming back to the point on final, the engine dies. Guys have already packed up the boat (because the Seamaster always comes back to the beach!) so I try to milk it in close enough so I can wade out to get it. Closer, slower, lower....SNAP! What I think happened is that the left wing stalled just a second before the right and the plane snapped VERY quickly and kersplat into the lake.
Now the advice part. What I learned from this power out situation was to get the plane onto the lake safely...no more trying to milk another 100 feet out of the glide slope.

Now...about these snap stalls. What is the recovery procedure for a stall like this?
Power?
Controls?

Say you're trying to make a new plane stall 2 mistakes high and it snaps and starts tumbling towards the ground. What's the drill?
Thanks.
Tracy
Old 02-11-2002, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Altitude!!!!!!

My P-51 snapped violently when I tried to do a misguded first loop attempt (to much elev, not enough power). The snap was quick and the plane lost 100ft or more before recovering and lost it fast.

The only thing I did was re-lease the sticks, the throttle was still at about 1/2-3/4. When it stopped tumbling, I got it into a spiral dive. Then just leveled the wings and pulled out. If I had been any lower, it would have been bye-bye Even though I was up high a 15lb plane can come down fast! I didn't have time to think about procedures, just reacted to the plane....It happened so fast I had recovered the plane then I started hearing everyone shout --it snapped!. Just kinda acted like it was planned (but they knew better )

I guess now would be a good time to find the correct prcedure. I guess panic is not one of them though?
Old 02-11-2002, 11:58 PM

Default stall recovery

Ok,Lets see

1) lower nose, to gain airspeed

2) lvl wings using rudder and maybe a little aileron

3) and add max power

4) go arround and if on final "provided you have power"

Steps 1-3 should be done almost at same time or close to it.Be carefull not to go into a secondary stall close to the ground( you do that by increasing up elevator to much at low speed.)

Practice stalling it at a safe altitude different wings have different stalling characteristics, and cg plays alot into it to.

As you found out never try to stretch a glide.

Better a controled crash than a unconttrolled.

And at low airspeed the torque from your engine may be enough to turn it into the groung before you can correct.

Oh and rudder should be opposite of down wing in recovery till wings lvl
Old 02-12-2002, 12:30 AM

Default Stalling....and trying to recover!!! Yikes!

Thanks again...That's the thing about progressing along from one airplane to the next. They all stall differently. Heck, the stalls might be wildly different at 1/4 tank of fuel compared to a full tank! I've got a TT Champion 45s on GP 20 sized floats...pro46 for power. I was at the lake trying hammerheads one day (stall turn?)...and there it was. Pulled up to vertical, cut the power, kept her straight up with elevator and waited to see which way shw was going to fall...it's stops completely in the air (whoohoooo!) and falls to the right...OK...Right rudder, full power for a second...The plane whipped around so fast that the nose went well beyond vertical on the way down...and started spiralling. One of our club members was kind enough to yell, "Death Spiral!"...I pulled the throttle and released the controls, the tumbling action stopped but still pointing straight down, spiralling to the left. (this info comes to me from observers) Right aileron stopped her from spinning but the 'Up elevator' had nothing to say. Very little damage as she went in from over 100 feet.
In retrospect, I'm thinking I should have added power to give the tail surfaces some control authority and gain airspeed. It's just that it's hard (for me) to add power to an airplane that is out of control and pointed to the ground!

PS...What do you guys think about that TT CHamp? Looks pretty nice on those floats eh!
TM
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2797_2870.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	2575  
Old 02-22-2002, 06:48 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

The TT Champ is a beauty!!

I'm interested in this thread because I'm in process of building a Sig Ultimate Fun Fly. When I fly the fun fly plane (RealFlight Extra Special) on the sim I notice exactly that stall and it really caught me off gaurd when it happened. In fact I have actually done it over and over to see it and study. Its wild when everything you do with the controls has no effect of stopping the snap stall. Luckily I was on the sim,,,,,,splat, shudder, "now you have to to pick up the pieces". When I'm dead stick, I do everything to keep the speed up until touchdown, getting down safe anywhere is better than a crash. I'm reading that the Sig Ultimate Fun Fly has a really bad glide, so I'm predicting it will have the same tendency. I practice takeoffs and landings mostly. Very easy to get disoriented, snap stall, and then I have to start over again, but I have gotten much better. I know one thing, it's not going to be anywhere near as forgiving as my Sig Kadet Senior. Good flying to all, Tom
Old 02-22-2002, 07:00 AM
My Feedback: (12)

Default Re: Stalling....and trying to recover!!! Yikes!

Originally posted by Timbersnake
What do you guys think about that TT CHamp? Looks pretty nice on those floats eh!TM
Yes it looks great!